Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah he wuld be a poor man's Giannis
    That's actually a terrible comparison. Robinson had a sweet midrange jumper throughout his career. He was a far superior scorer to Giannis in a tougher defensive era. He was better at creating his own shot off the dribble. And he was a dominant rim protector. So not only are their styles completely different, but Robinson s all over Giannis as a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Heck, I know I'm gonna stir the pot here but swap Robinson and Duncan's career timelines (Duncan debuts in '89 and Robinson debuts in '97. Everything else stays the same, supporting cast wise) and Robinson probably is rated higher than Timmy right now.
    that's a pretty bold statement tbh... Duncan carried a quite roster to a le in 2003. I'm a Robinson fan but Duncan is the superior player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a pretty bold statement tbh... Duncan carried a quite roster to a le in 2003. I'm a Robinson fan but Duncan is the superior player
    I think Duncan had a greater passion for winning. Not that Robinson did NOT want to win, of course he did.. But there are levels..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's actually a terrible comparison. Robinson had a sweet midrange jumper throughout his career. He was a far superior scorer to Giannis in a tougher defensive era. He was better at creating his own shot off the dribble. And he was a dominant rim protector. So not only are their styles completely different, but Robinson s all over Giannis as a player.
    Tougher defensive era?

Let's see Robinson against the zone and GIannis in ISO vs inferior athletes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Admiral also led the league in rebounding and blocks as well, along with so many more accolades.
    Yup. And finished top 3 in mvp voting in 5 seasons. And top 7 in 8 seasons. And he and mj are the only players to win ROY, MVP and DPOY

looking objectively at his stats and awards he falls into 11-18 range

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another victim in the war of cir stances. Give Robinson the supporting cast other greats have had and he's easily regarded as a top 10 player of all-time right now.

Heck, I know I'm gonna stir the pot here but swap Robinson and Duncan's career timelines (Duncan debuts in '89 and Robinson debuts in '97. Everything else stays the same, supporting cast wise) and Robinson probably is rated higher than Timmy right now.
    I’d agree with this. Although even if you swapped them DRob wouldn’t have played as long as Duncan. But the chances of him getting 4 les between 99-2007 would be very good.

DRob is like wilt. Freak athlete with skill that dominates. Duncan is more like Kareem. Big cerebral, fundamentally sound, very efficient with physical energy, which allows them to have long careers.

a big issue I have with these ranking lists is the longevity issue. Do you value a 10yr player with dominant stats over a 20yr guy that has great but not necessarily dominant stats. The 10yr guy in his prime is better than the 20yr guy in his prime but the 20yr guy has more awards and I’d higher on all time lists because he played longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because pop cares more about trump then David Robinson who got him the job he has

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. And finished top 3 in mvp voting in 5 seasons. And top 7 in 8 seasons. And he and mj are the only players to win ROY, MVP and DPOY

looking objectively at his stats and awards he falls into 11-18 range
    He's also the only American male basketball player in both the FIBA and International Basketball Halls Of Fame.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ...and was eliminated by Tom Tolbert.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Duncan had a greater passion for winning. Not that Robinson did NOT want to win, of course he did.. But there are levels..
    Some people love to throw out terms like winners intangibles. Yeah well it’s not that hard to show winners intangibles on a winning team.
    Sorry bro, couldn't help it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 2003 had no other all-star level player but it was deep as with a bunch of top tier role players: young Manu and Tony, past-prime Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Bruce Bowen, Malik Rose, Steve Kerr, Speedy Claxton. Probably the most well-rounded Spurs team behind the 2014 one. That roster was way better than anything Robinson had to work with as a top dog.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way. Robinson would score 50 on these 3's trying to play the 5. And he might even develop a 3 game that he clearly never worked on ever.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Duncan did what it took to win always. Even in 98, ring-less D-Rob worried too much about being the alpha dog and did not defer to Duncan and it cost us an epic rookie Duncan vs. MJ final.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson would have been a rich man's Chris Bosh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 2003 had no other all-star level player but it was deep as with a bunch of top tier role players: young Manu and Tony, past-prime Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Bruce Bowen, Malik Rose, Steve Kerr, Speedy Claxton. Probably the most well-rounded Spurs team behind the 2014 one. That roster was way better than anything Robinson had to work with as a top dog.
    I believe that you are overestimating the depth and value of the 2003 roster tbh...

Manu and Tony were young but still very very raw with some atrocious shooting in particular in POs, Jax was the inefficient chucking machine we all know... In offense this team was a desert beside Tim. In that regard your comparison with 2014 is weird.. 2014 was deep of experienced players with great offense.

In terms of one player dominating a PO run I'm not sure you will find much equivalent than what Tim did in 2003. In the POs he averaged 3 times more ws, 10 more points, 10 more rebounds, 2 more assists (!?)... than second of the team... The "only" depth this team had was his defense, it's true but even here Tim was the best defender and it was not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that you are overestimating the depth and value of the 2003 roster tbh...

Manu and Tony were young but still very very raw with some atrocious shooting in particular in POs, Jax was the inefficient chucking machine we all know... In offense this team was a desert beside Tim. In that regard your comparison with 2014 is weird.. 2014 was deep of experienced players with great offense.

In terms of one player dominating a PO run I'm not sure you will find much equivalent than what Tim did in 2003. In the POs he averaged 3 times more ws, 10 more points, 10 more rebounds, 2 more assists (!?)... than second of the team... The "only" depth this team had was his defense, it's true but even here Tim was the best defender and it was not even close.
    Tony 15 ppg, Jackson 13 ppg, Manu and Malik 10 ppg, David 8 ppg, Bruce 7 ppg, Speedy 5 ppg. And then you had Kerr when you needed a bit more shooting.

That's a ton of offensive help for an early 00's team with such great defense. There's not a single liability on that rotation, neither on offense nor on defense. Sure, the difference maker was prime Duncan but with a lesser supporting cast it might not have been enough (heck, just watch a year earlier when Duncan was just as good). That was one of team, tbh. That's why they rang. Tell me which Robinson led Spurs had a supporting cast as good as that one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: DAF and Brazil

Yes the 2003 roster had depth, but as Brazil said, Jax, Manu and Porker weren't playing at all stars level yet; Tony was still inconsistent in his sop re year and he was only 20; Manu was a breath of fresh air for the Spurs with his unique style but was adjusting to the NBA and made a lot of mistakes; Jackson made huge clutch shots for us but he also had horrendous shooting nights; Robinsion averaged like 8 PPG in his final season

The only consstent player was Duncan really, and he had to make sure to be on top of his game for 100+ games that year, because of the reasons mentioned above

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony 15 ppg, Jackson 13 ppg, Manu and Malik 10 ppg, David 8 ppg, Bruce 7 ppg, Speedy 5 ppg. And then you had Kerr when you needed a bit more shooting.

That's a ton of offensive help for an early 00's team with such great defense. There's not a single liability on that rotation, neither on offense nor on defense. Sure, the difference maker was prime Duncan but with a lesser supporting cast it might not have been enough (heck, just watch a year earlier when Duncan was just as good). That was one of team, tbh. That's why they rang. Tell me which Robinson led Spurs had a supporting cast as good as that one?
    Manu Tony Jax were averaging that numbers shooting 40%. The only other player shooting above 50% was David.

And again except for the final, it is not like this run was a cakewalk with Suns, Lakers and Dallas.. all dog fights in 6 games. I don't think a 26 y/o David would have carried that run like Tim did.

I respect your pov but for me no way David>Tim. I agree David is massively underrated but Tim is the superior player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tougher defensive era?

Oh man let me know when you find a time machine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Duncan did what it took to win always. Even in 98, ring-less D-Rob worried too much about being the alpha dog and did not defer to Duncan and it cost us an epic rookie Duncan vs. MJ final.
    David was a great player no doubt.. But to an extent being a top player in the NBA, maybe was enough for him. Just my opinion. He wanted to win.. But Tim it seemed different. He felt his legacy depended on rings..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu Tony Jax were averaging that numbers shooting 40%. The only other player shooting above 50% was David.

And again except for the final, it is not like this run was a cakewalk with Suns, Lakers and Dallas.. all dog fights in 6 games. I don't think a 26 y/o David would have carried that run like Tim did.

I respect your pov but for me no way David>Tim. I agree David is massively underrated but Tim is the superior player.
    David is NOT underrated. He is one of the best centers of his generation. Ranked behind guys like Hakeem, Shaq. Most would say he is better than Ewing Slightly I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: DAF and Brazil

Yes the 2003 roster had depth, but as Brazil said, Jax, Manu and Porker weren't playing at all stars level yet; Tony was still inconsistent in his sop re year and he was only 20; Manu was a breath of fresh air for the Spurs with his unique style but was adjusting to the NBA and made a lot of mistakes; Jackson made huge clutch shots for us but he also had horrendous shooting nights; Robinsion averaged like 8 PPG in his final season

The only consstent player was Duncan really, and he had to make sure to be on top of his game for 100+ games that year, because of the reasons mentioned above
    WOW MAN!!

I am impressed..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duncan's Finals Run was amazing in 2003.. 24/17/5 on 50%. 21/20/10/8 in game 6.. That is just insane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tougher defensive era?

Hand checking.

And what the do you mean by inferior athletes? The 90s was the best decade for centers. Robinson was going up against young Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Mourning, and Mutombo...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan's Finals Run was amazing in 2003.. 24/17/5 on 50%. 21/20/10/8 in game 6.. That is just insane.
    Yeah, he was 2 steals away from having a 5x5 in Game 1 and then he got the unofficial quadruple-double in Game 6.

Thread Information