Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man let me know when you find a time machine.
    Working on it, BRB

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hand checking.

And what the do you mean by inferior athletes? The 90s was the best decade for centers. Robinson was going up against young Shaq, Ewing, Olajuwon, Mourning, and Mutombo...
    Hand checking one of the biggest myths in sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WOW MAN!!

I am impressed..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most would say he is better than Ewing Slightly I guess.
    and you are saying he is not underrated ? slightly better than Ewing ? oh boy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem is better..
    Shaq is better..
    David from that era is about 3rd correct?

I'll give it to him over Ewing but it is close. Ewing had to deal with MJ and the Bulls..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW Ewing is very underrated historically.. Big Time..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what people have with Ewing.. mostly overrated

David is head and shoulder above Ewing and no.. its not even close

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what people have with Ewing.. mostly overrated

David is head and shoulder above Ewing and no.. its not even close
    Who overrates Ewing LOL?? He was 37 with David at 24 on the ESPN List.. Did you watch him play? Gutting out injuries, with lousy talent and dealing with MJ and the Bulls was not fun.

"He made the Knicks le contenders despite never truly having a second superstar to play alongside him in his prime. With one of the best fallaway jumpers a big man has ever had, Ewing led the Knicks to 13 straight postseasons. The 7-footer just couldn't deliver a championship during an era ruled by Michael Jordan."

Spot on IMO..

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-all-nos-40-11

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu Tony Jax were averaging that numbers shooting 40%. The only other player shooting above 50% was David.

And again except for the final, it is not like this run was a cakewalk with Suns, Lakers and Dallas.. all dog fights in 6 games. I don't think a 26 y/o David would have carried that run like Tim did.

I respect your pov but for me no way David>Tim. I agree David is massively underrated but Tim is the superior player.
    I don't think that either, and I could even agree that Robinson might not win in 2003 as the top dog, but that was never what I argued, tbh. I said that if roles were reversed, Robinson would probably be ranked ahead of Duncan in the all-time list, not that Robinson would have won the same as Duncan as a top option.

Let's say Duncan gets to the Spurs in '89, to me there's no way he rings with all those subpar supporting casts, but just for the sake of argument, let's say he pulls a magic run and wins 1 ring without Robinson. Then David comes in '97. Let's say he can't duplicate Duncan's historic 2003 run and doesn't win that year, he would still win more rings in the following years as Manu and Tony get better. Which means Robinson wins more rings as the main option than Duncan. That would be enough for people to rank David over Tim in the all-time list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hand checking one of the biggest myths in sports
    Just to clarify, are you saying hand checking never happened (or was inconsequential), or that it still happens despite the rule change?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to clarify, are you saying hand checking never happened (or was inconsequential), or that it still happens despite the rule change?
    Hand Checking for sure a thing in the 90's.. But Jordan for example really got a ton of whistles even for the era that was more physical. That's a bit of a myth with MJ regarding the physicality of the 90's.. Watching even some old games recently against the Knicks, and Pacers, he is barely touched and going to the FT line.. Superstar Treatment obviously always been a thing..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tougher defensive era?
    average ppg in 1995-96: 99.5
    average ppg in 2019-20: 111.4

So yes, the 90s were a more defensive era and currently we're in a more offensive era. This isn't controversial.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Working on it, BRB
    Let me know ASAP so i can get in touch with most peoples dads around here and let them know its best they get a blow job instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    average ppg in 1995-96: 99.5
    average ppg in 2019-20: 111.4

So yes, the 90s were a more defensive era and currently we're in a more offensive era. This isn't controversial.
    Because the offense is also much better today
    90s offense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me know ASAP so i can get in touch with most peoples dads around here and let them know its best they get a blow job instead.
    Hey if you want to swing that way, that’s your right , free country

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Another victim in the war of cir stances. Give Robinson the supporting cast other greats have had and he's easily regarded as a top 10 player of all-time right now.

Heck, I know I'm gonna stir the pot here but swap Robinson and Duncan's career timelines (Duncan debuts in '89 and Robinson debuts in '97. Everything else stays the same, supporting cast wise) and Robinson probably is rated higher than Timmy right now.
    He had ROY Timmay in ‘98 but got locked up by Greg Foster

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he was a professional and didn't act like a jackass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that either, and I could even agree that Robinson might not win in 2003 as the top dog, but that was never what I argued, tbh. I said that if roles were reversed, Robinson would probably be ranked ahead of Duncan in the all-time list, not that Robinson would have won the same as Duncan as a top option.

Let's say Duncan gets to the Spurs in '89, to me there's no way he rings with all those subpar supporting casts, but just for the sake of argument, let's say he pulls a magic run and wins 1 ring without Robinson. Then David comes in '97. Let's say he can't duplicate Duncan's historic 2003 run and doesn't win that year, he would still win more rings in the following years as Manu and Tony get better. Which means Robinson wins more rings as the main option than Duncan. That would be enough for people to rank David over Tim in the all-time list.
    your previous post had me confused.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey if you want to swing that way, that’s your right , free country
    Na you got this pop those lips baby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because the offense is also much better today
    90s offense
    By that logic, offense was at its best in the 1960s

Rk Season Lg PTS
    1 1961-62 NBA 118.8
    2 1960-61 NBA 118.1
    3 1966-67 NBA 117.4
    4 1969-70 NBA 116.7
    5 1967-68 NBA 116.6
    6 1965-66 NBA 115.5
    7 1962-63 NBA 115.3
    8 1959-60 NBA 115.3
    9 1970-71 NBA 112.4
    10 1968-69 NBA 112.3
    11 2019-20 NBA 111.4
    12 2018-19 NBA 111.2
    13 1963-64 NBA 111.0
    14 1984-85 NBA 110.8
    15 1964-65 NBA 110.6

The simplistic assumption that "more ppg = better offense" ignores other factors. The NBA has fluctuated between favoring offense and favoring defense throughout its history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem is better..
    Shaq is better..
    David from that era is about 3rd correct?

I'll give it to him over Ewing but it is close. Ewing had to deal with MJ and the Bulls..
    90s Robinson > 90s Shaq

Shaq didn't peak until 2000-01.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    90s Robinson > 90s Shaq

Shaq didn't peak until 2000-01.
    Agreed. And with the exception of one season DRob>Hakeem. DRob won the scoring le during hakeem’s dream season (pun intended) so it wasn’t like there was a big gap during that year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. And with the exception of one season DRob>Hakeem. DRob won the scoring le during hakeem’s dream season (pun intended) so it wasn’t like there was a big gap during that year.
    True, and if I remember correctly, The Admiral was the MVP runner up in that season as well.

Thread Information