Biden says "I think it's a good idea"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don Cheadle asked Biden about defunding the police

Things can only get better if you do.

For example in Candem New Jersey Crime was off the charts until they decided to disband and defund the police department and built a community based police department that actually cut cost as well as crimes and such. Now crime has fallen tenfold in that city.

So again yes, good idea.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...camden/549542/

You just have to have the will and a plan in place to do it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a Bernie supporter but statements like this should not be hard for a leader to make instead of being divisive.

Bunker really said this is a great day for George Floyd? Six feet in the ground is a great day? WTF?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bunker really said this is a great day for George Floyd? Six feet in the ground is a great day? WTF?
    I mean this might be the single dumbest and most tone deaf thing ever spoken by a President.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Biden knows who is his demographic, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden clinches Democratic presidential nomination with latest delegate haul

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean this might be the single dumbest and most tone deaf thing ever spoken by a President.
    Trash is a bully and racist.

Insulting black and dead GF horribly, knowing GF can't punch back at the less bully

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think Biden knows who is his demographic, tbh...
    Don't forget that the party of the democrats are now never trump republicans. Sans the abortion and gay marriage issue.

That's how far on the right the libs are now. Can't believe that every time the GOP went further right, the democrats tried and go further their way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget that the party of the democrats are now never trump republicans. Sans the abortion and gay marriage issue.

That's how far on the right the libs are now. Can't believe that every time the GOP went further right, the democrats tried and go further their way.
    They were to the right when Obama was president, and Shillary was nothing but a warmonger globalist neocon.... it's just the average conservatives du jour only apparently cares about muh abortion, muh religion and muh guns...

Can't even claim to care about deficits anymore, the last two R president have been nothing but ravaging the government credit card.

Normally I would say both candidates are largely the same thing, but as much as I dislike and despise Biden (because he's more of the same), bunker really took idiocy to a whole new level, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were to the right when Obama was president, and Shillary was nothing but a warmonger globalist neocon.... it's just the average conservatives du jour only apparently cares about muh abortion, muh religion and muh guns...

Can't even claim to care about deficits anymore, the last two R president have been nothing but ravaging the government credit card.

Normally I would say both candidates are largely the same thing, but as much as I dislike and despise Biden (because he's more of the same), bunker really took idiocy to a whole new level, tbh.
    Who was the last progressive president? None of us were even alive.

Ironmex is talking as if we've actually regressed. It's always been like this.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Don’t forget gun control and tranny rights , those are two wedge issues corporatists like Mike Bloomberg love to use in order to claim they’re Democrats.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

What are you arguing here? The fact that we haven’t seen a progressive president in our lifetime doesn’t mean it’s “always been like this.” Dwight Eisenhower was considered a Republican when he was president but if he ran today he’d be considered a radical left wing communist. FDR was considerably to the left of Bernie Sanders but people claim Sanders is too radical to be president.

It’s also regressed in our lifetime. What used to be the Bob Dole/Mitt Romney healthcare plan in the 90s/2000s is now the healthcare plan that Democrats have to scratch and claw to prevent from getting repealed by Republicans who claim it’s radical communism. Democrats revere neoconservative assholes like James Mattis and have made out of control defense spending something that gets bipartisan support. Just a few examples.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not posting this as an agreement, or because I particularly like Tom Nichols, just a relevant supplement to the conversation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best I think we can hope for in the near term is a dissolution of the Trump GOP and a shift to a two party system of center-right Republicans vs. progressive Democrats.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Not posting this as an agreement, or because I particularly like Tom Nichols, just a relevant supplement to the conversation.

Yeah idk what he’s ing about when he says the country needs a center right wing party, it already has one.

This guy alone is why moderate Republicans just now crying about Trump are selfish narcissistic assholes.

Marginal tax rates are basically as low as they’ve ever been since before the Great Depression, yet as they’ve gotten lower the middle class has only continued to thin out. Nevertheless, re s like this guy want his twitter followers to give him a medal for FINALLY admitting that voting for whichever candidate wants to lower taxes more without looking at anything else is childish.
    Last edited by Will Hunting; 06-06-2020 at 08:13 PM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    “Moderate” Republicans love to about the Bible thumpers, gun nuts and white supremacists in their party as a way of trying to seem more reasonable when the truth is the Republican Party intentionally caters to all of those demographics because it’s the only way to win elections when your economic platform s over 95% of the country.

If the GOP just had a plain vanilla platform that centered around creating an oligarchy without any of the ancillary bull the way guys like this Tom Nichols hack apparently want, it wouldn’t be able to win elections. You need gimmicky ways to distract the average voter from the fact you’re raping his/her wallet, which is where the guns/theocracy/white nationalism come in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting to see how the GOP pivots if they get their asses handed to them this year. I don't see the Bloombergization of the Democrat Party as a permanent thing, unless the GOP continues to offer up Trump-like candidates. Their best bet for survival could be to abandon the archaic social causes and the "scare old whites" strategy to form a real populist party that appeals to individual freedoms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Saint Reagan today would be a RINO, borderline communist, and MAGA s would probably find him in Epstein flight logs, tbh

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting to see how the GOP pivots if they get their asses handed to them this year. I don't see the Bloombergization of the Democrat Party as a permanent thing, unless the GOP continues to offer up Trump-like candidates. Their best bet for survival could be to abandon the archaic social causes and the "scare old whites" strategy to form a real populist party that appeals to individual freedoms.
    How do you not see it as a permanent thing? It’s been gradually metastasizing for 50+ years. We didn’t go from FDR to Jim Crow Joe overnight, the Democratic Party has been slowly creeping to the right (at least on economic issues) ever since JFK lowered the top marginal tax rate. Why would a party that’s been slowly moving to the right since the late 1960s suddenly stop, especially if it wins big this year and can advertise its “win the center” strategy as a success?

OTOH, the GOP will be just fine the way it is as long as each state gets two senate seats regardless of size. It took total economic and social calamity for Biden to become the candidate who’s favored and for the Dems to have a chance at a 50/50 split in the senate. After the GOP got curbstomped in 2008 and 2012 all it did was double down on crazy and it worked. After Mitch McConnell is able to bully Pelosi Schumer and Biden for 4 years so nothing gets done, the same strategy will work again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It took total economic and social calamity for Biden to become the candidate who’s favored and for the Dems to have a chance at a 50/50 split in the senate. After the GOP got curbstomped in 2008 and 2012 all it did was double down on crazy and it worked. After Mitch McConnell is able to bully Pelosi Schumer and Biden for 4 years so nothing gets done, the same strategy will work again.
    So what happened in 2018 was a fluke? lol

Your hate for establishment dems makes you very irrational.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you not see it as a permanent thing? It’s been gradually metastasizing for 50+ years. We didn’t go from FDR to Jim Crow Joe overnight, the Democratic Party has been slowly creeping to the right (at least on economic issues) ever since JFK lowered the top marginal tax rate. Why would a party that’s been slowly moving to the right since the late 1960s suddenly stop, especially if it wins big this year and can advertise its “win the center” strategy as a success?

OTOH, the GOP will be just fine the way it is as long as each state gets two senate seats regardless of size. It took total economic and social calamity for Biden to become the candidate who’s favored and for the Dems to have a chance at a 50/50 split in the senate. After the GOP got curbstomped in 2008 and 2012 all it did was double down on crazy and it worked. After Mitch McConnell is able to bully Pelosi Schumer and Biden for 4 years so nothing gets done, the same strategy will work again.
    If the GOP loses, they'll probably nominate someone more moderate next time around and Democrats will have to do more work to motivate progressives, else they lose another election from voter apathy.

I don't see the GOP as salvageable if it also continues to move rightward. But then the second part of my post describes how the GOP could actually evolve to capture some votes on the left. Boomers are dying and someone has to appeal to Gen Z.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    So what happened in 2018 was a fluke? lol

Your hate for establishment dems makes you very irrational.
    They lost senate seats in 2018, and that’s not a criticism of establishment Dems, it’s a criticism of how our government is currently set up. The GOP has the dumbest but also most disproportionately overrepresented 35% of America eating out of its hand, which is enough to block any meaningful reform from the left since the Dakotas get twice as many senators as California does.

The part of my post you quoted has nothing to do with criticizing establishment Dems. Your sensitivity towards my criticism of establishment Dems makes you irrational.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They lost senate seats in 2018, and that’s not a criticism of establishment Dems, it’s a criticism of how our government is currently set up. The GOP has the dumbest but also most disproportionately overrepresented 35% of America eating out of its hand, which is enough to block any meaningful reform from the left since the Dakotas get twice as many senators as California does.

The part of my post you quoted has nothing to do with criticizing establishment Dems. Your sensitivity towards my criticism of establishment Dems makes you irrational.
    I dont have any sensitivity really. I just want seats.

To me it doesn't matter if progressives or moderates get them as long as it's not a republican. I know you dont see a difference between the generic dem and a republican but it's there.

At least dems are accountable unlike republicans who could care less about any particular and meaningful vote that can have serious repercussion down the line just as long as they're getting paid first which is mostly what happens.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If the GOP loses, they'll probably nominate someone more moderate next time around and Democrats will have to do more work to motivate progressives, else they lose another election from voter apathy.

I don't see the GOP as salvageable if it also continues to move rightward. But then the second part of my post describes how the GOP could actually evolve to capture some votes on the left. Boomers are dying and someone has to appeal to Gen Z.
    I think the GOP already did that in 2016 by nominating a candidate who ran on a superficial platform of protectionism and ending free trade, which was made possible because Hillary Clinton/Joe Biden are so far to the right on trade deregulation and globalism Trump is able to outflank them without having to really do anything. I'm sure in 2024 we'll get another demagogue who's as far to the right as it gets but will run on a glib campaign platform that flanks the Democrats on a few issues they've lost moral high ground on.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Zombie Puppet will have to be told his position.

Thread Information