My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

wtf?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good.

Columbus was a pedophile mass murdering re who stumbled into the Caribbean after trying to sail to India. He's kind of like Trump in a way that he bumbled himself into notoriety.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 07-18-2020 at 12:22 AM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm against pulling down statues illegally, but who learned about Columbus from a statue?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

wtf?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm against pulling down statues illegally, but who learned about Columbus from a statue?
    Maybe people from other countries visiting for starters?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Good.

Columbus was a pedophile mass murdering re who stumbled into the Caribbean after trying to sail to India. He's kind of like Trump in a way that he bumbled himself into notoriety.
    Today you'd be Muslim if not for Colombus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe people from other countries visiting for starters?
    what?

Seems horribly inefficient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems horribly inefficient.
    That's probably what your mom said to herself while you were growing up tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^This is a troll post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will be more outrage on the Right from this situation, which destroys nobody's personal property and destroys property that isn't that important nor historical. Columbus was a false myth built up in the late 19th for the purpose of giving Italian immigrants a sense of pride, while also curbing anti-Italian immigrant sentiment from the MAGAs of the day, than this situation:

https://www.ksn.com/news/texas-bus-d...-to-wear-mask/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ this is a troll post

EDIT: Chump beat me to it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will be more outrage on the Right from this situation, which destroys nobody's personal property and destroys property that isn't that important nor historical. Columbus was a false myth built up in the late 19th for the purpose of giving Italian immigrants a sense of pride, while also curbing anti-Italian immigrant sentiment from the MAGAs of the day, than this situation:

https://www.ksn.com/news/texas-bus-d...-to-wear-mask/
    lol wut

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today you'd be Muslim if not for Colombus
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Columbus is a false myth. Why so much outrage for tearing down a false myth that doesn't hurt anybody physically vs. a MAGAT re assaulting a bus driver with a deadly weapon because he didn't want to wear a mask?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Qhris couldn't care less about Columbus, tbh... heck, he'll probably be arguing for tearing down that statue if the left wanted to protect it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Qhris couldn't care less about Columbus, tbh... heck, he'll probably be arguing for tearing down that statue if the left wanted to protect it.
    Child rapist, mass murdering enslaver who didn't even in' discover the mainland good now.

But stuff like that was common then

Yeah, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, here's my feeling about statues of real life historical figures. I couldn't give a if they were all torn down. I'm not religious, but this is what the ten commandments was talking about with regard to idolatry. An attempt to idealize mortal men to the position of "perfection," which is trait only God can possess. This is also why these statues are anything BUT historical. They don't tell you anything about the actual person and are basically the past equivalent of Instagram, filtering reality into phony glamour.

Read a book or watch a do entary if you want a more complete portrait of these figures.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "Muslims thus arrived in America more than a century before the Virginia Company founded the Jamestown colony in 1607. Muslims came to America more than a century before the Puritans founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Muslims were living in America not only before Protestants, but before Protestantism existed. After Catholicism, Islam was the second monotheistic religion in the Americas.."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aeon.co...m-even-existed

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Anyhow, here's my feeling about statues of real life historical figures. I couldn't give a if they were all torn down. I'm not religious, but this is what the ten commandments was talking about with regard to idolatry. An attempt to idealize mortal men to the position of "perfection," which is trait only God can possess. This is also why these statues are anything BUT historical. They don't tell you anything about the actual person and are basically the past equivalent of Instagram, filtering reality into phony glamour.

Read a book or watch a do entary if you want a more complete portrait of these figures.
    Let's be honest why this is occurring. To make American culture less Euro-centric. They've been pushing their inferior history, literature and art into Universities for decades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest why this is occurring. To make American culture less Euro-centric. They've been pushing their inferior history, literature and art into Universities for decades.
    Dude raped and enslaved children.

You want that commemorated?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Muslims thus arrived in America more than a century before the Virginia Company founded the Jamestown colony in 1607. Muslims came to America more than a century before the Puritans founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630. Muslims were living in America not only before Protestants, but before Protestantism existed. After Catholicism, Islam was the second monotheistic religion in the Americas.."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aeon.co...m-even-existed
    Don't read anything in that account of Columbus driving the Muslims out the Americans or anything. Seems Isabella curbed their exportation to Cuba and after that, their presence began to slowly dwindle until Christianity won out over the remaining Muslims in the mainland.

I also don't fear the "Muslim Boogeyman." Islamic fundamentalism? Sure. But medieval Muslim societies were some of the most advanced in the world, contributing as much to knowledge as Europeans. Islamic fundamentalism was allowed to rise because of the disarray the Muslim world was sent into following the Crusades and Mongol invasions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it should be? I'm decent with my historical knowledge, but even I didn't know Muslims beat Europeans to the Americas by a century or more (per your link). We learn in school that Columbus was the intrepid hero who faced insurmountable odds, that George Washington could never tell a lie, and that the pilgrims and Native Americans were pals.

I am in no way suggesting erasing anything European from American history, but the historical bias here is definitely a result of history being written by the winners that glosses over a lot of historical realities. We didn't even learn in school of the various Native Americans that fought on the side of the patriots, for instance. It's all George Washington, Paul Revere, and the Red Coats Are Coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^

We also don't really learn much about say, Cinco De Mayo. People are still under the impression it's Mexican Independence day when it was them kicking the out of the French, which proved consequential to the outcome of the Civil War since Napolean III was hoping to seize Northern Mexico for himself and then use it as base of operations to arm and supply the Confederates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and art and literature can't "be inferior" vs. one another. Art and literature's worth is a subjective value judgment. Artistic "value" isn't quantifiable. And history is never the full truth. Written by the winners.

I also resist the idea that European Culture is monolithic. Europeans warred for centuries due to cultural differences, and many oppressed European tribes of antiquity, like Germanic tribes who Romans basically considered blond monkeys, also wanted to "burn down" Rome's history and remake it in their image. These events are actually what plunged the world into the Dark Ages, since the Germanic hordes erased a load of knowledge with all the burning of libraries and such.

And what prompted these invasions? The Germanic Tribes didn't feel represented when they were a Roman state (Germania). They were BLM of their day, in a sense. And no, I'm not suggesting BLM go Germanic tribe of the US, just illustrating how when a group feels underrepresented, they tend to backlash.

Thread Information