Page 25 of 105 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    again, if you see the abolition of slavery, or the civil rights act, as "targeting whites" then i think we are just at an impasse
    I personally don't. I probably have some current bias. Way of life during my childhood was what I consider the norm. Even 1950s USA would be too odd for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "The book teaches kids not only to defy parents but to hate themselves. To hate their parents also because they are white," she said.

Frankfurt School

Homeschool your kids. English and Math/Science. That's it. Asian model of success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry this is happening to you... It is what it is....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry this is happening to you... It is what it is....
    I'm doing great, thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nathan89 why did you abandon this discussion? looking forward to your input tbh

white fragility is admittedly a stupid and intentionally provocative term... the concept is sound

when have you heard me saying anything about trigger warnings or safe spaces? but you know what, lets engage

re: trigger warnings - do you have an issue when videos/articles have a "viewer discretion is advised" note in the beginning?

re: safe spaces - what is your understanding of what safe space is? if somebody barged into an AA meeting and started mocking people for alcohol abuse and waving bottles of beer in front of their faces, do you think that person should be kicked out? if the members tell that person he cant do that, are they just soft liberal pussies?

i mean sure, if a student walks around outside and draws a ing chalk circle around them saying THIS IS MY SAFE SPACE YOU CANT COME IN HERE or something like that, it would be re ed, but i dont think that's really what happens
    sure.

so white fragility as a term was coined by some author in her book of the same name, which i dont care for, and as far as i'm aware is a badly written book. the name was provocative and only fueled more outrage, so i get that.

it really points to a defensiveness, not a "fragility." the basic premise is that there is a phenomenon of white people getting defensive when issues of racism and privilege are brought to their attention, because they mistake it as an attack on the validity of their social standing. ie:

- white person hears the term white privilege, and takes it as an attack on him, as though people are saying he didnt work for what he earned, and it was handed to him just because he's white

- white person hears somebody talk about how systemic racism has held back black people (in the aggregate) and again, they think people are implying that the same as the above. it's why when an issue of race is brought up, there's the default "you're playing the race card!" response. its a desire to avoid an uncomfortable discussion because it is incorrectly perceived as a direct attack

- white person hears that there is systemic racism (and that they may have passively benefitted from that system), and they interpret that to be an accusation that they specifically are racist (it isn't, though) which causes them to brush it off or try to deny it, because of the mental discomfort it causes them

i think its also somewhat important that its basically a psychological response, and not really one inherent to "white people." it just so happens that this is a society where white people had historically been on top, and so this is who it would apply to in today's america.

you dont have to agree with the concept of it... and you're free to critique it, but the idea of "white fragility" being indicative of self loathing white people or "being anti-white" is just a distortion of what is claimed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She ed Ted Cruz right off to his stupid face. That is ing awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She ed Ted Cruz right off to his stupid face. That is ing awesome.

Throwing a tantrum and stomping away = "awesome"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Another long over due talk.

Had to explain what white privilege was to my kids, good to see there are books out there on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throwing a tantrum and stomping away = "awesome"
    Anything that s with Rafeal the Bootlick Cruz is awesome. Those hearings were a sham and waste of time for everyone involved. Another joke session from a joke senator.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Social aspects of cult-like behavior
    Submission:
    Complete, almost unquestioned trust in the leadership.
    Leaders are often seen as prophets, apostles, or special individuals with unusual connections to God. This helps a person give themselves over psychologically to trusting someone else for their spiritual welfare.
    Increased submission to the leadership is rewarded with additional responsibilities and/or roles, and/or praises, increasing the importance of the person within the group.
    Wow... Want to see Trumpists claiming he was sent by God and shouldn't be questioned? Nailed it.

Exclusivity
    Their group is the only true religious system, or one of the few true remnants of God's people.
    Persecution complex
    Us against them mentality. Therefore, when someone (inside or outside of the group) corrects the group in doctrine and/or behavior, it is interpreted as persecution, which then is interpreted as validation.
    Nailed it again. Been hearing about how evil libruls are forever.

Control
    Control of members' actions and thinking through repeated indoctrination and/or threats of loss of salvation, or a place to live, or receiving curses from God, etc.

Isolation
    Minimizing contact of church members with those outside the group. This facilitates a further control over the thinking and practices of the members by the leadership.
    Right wing media echo chamber to a ing T

Love Bombing
    Showing great attention and love to a person in the group by others in the group, to help transfer emotional dependence to the group.
    hmmm nope. never seen that.

Special Knowledge
    Instructions and/or knowledge are sometimes said to be received by a leader(s) from God. This leader then informs the members.
    QANON

The Special Knowledge can be received through visions, dreams, or new interpretations of sacred scriptures such as the Bible.
    Indoctrination
    The teachings of the group are repeatedly drilled into the members, but the indoctrination usually occurs around Special Knowledge.
    QANON again

Salvation
    Salvation from the judgment of God is maintained through association and/or submission with the group, its authority, and/or its Special Knowledge.
    Evangelicals hit the mark here. Mix in QANON....

Group Think
    The group's coherence is maintained by the observance to policies handed down from those in authority.
    There is an internal enforcement of policies by members who reward "proper" behavior, and those who perform properly are rewarded with further inclusion and acceptance by the group.
    Wow... describes the right wing talking points. trump says it.. and they all pick up on it and repeat it, no matter how dumb it is.

Cognitive Dissonance
    Avoidance of critical thinking and/or maintaining logically impossible beliefs and/or beliefs that are inconsistent with other beliefs held by the group.Avoidance of and/or denial of any facts that might contradict the group's belief system.
    Bring up hypocrisy... and get a load of ignore. YUP, see it here all the time.

Explain the e mother er.

Shunning
    Those who do not keep in step with group policies are shunned and/or expelled.
    Kiss the ring.

Gender Roles
    Control of gender roles and definitions.
    Severe control of gender roles sometimes leads to sexual exploitation.
    hmmm. Pretty much. Assertive, intelligent women are big threats to Trumpists. Watching their criticisms of AOC and others. Eyup Trump s here too.

Appearance Standards
    Often a common appearance is required and maintained. For instance, women might wear prairie dresses, and/or their hair in buns, and/or no makeup, and/or the men might all wear white short-sleeved shirts, and/or without beards, or all wear beards.
    Nope...

https://carm.org/signs-practices-of-a-cult

Dunno. Seems like Trumpism hits more of the marks than the left, which certainly has instances of groupthink and political correctness.

Scope and scale though... Trump s outright worship... THAT is a ing cult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Joan Rivers. Old school russian-jew. Decade ago I stated she had the biggest balls in Hollywood. Her show immediately fell into racial controversy after her passing [Kelly Osborne]. Glad she isn't around to watch this new norm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

not a far cry from a nazi salute ^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs