My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's go.get another asterisk ring

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is set up for Zion to get the 8 seed via play-in vs Memphis. Zero chance the Spurs make a deep run here. They would need to go 7-1 or 6-2 at worse to have a legit shot at just getting the 9 seed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there is one thing this Spurs team has done exceptionally well this year, it's disappointed. I'm sure they will come through again with a disappointing performance and probably will be the first team eliminated.
    problem is spurs is not clean loser/disappointment. What they will do is make it appear like we have a chance for the longest time and then blow it on the last minute. like many of our games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so you're telling me there's still a chance we sneak into the playoffs?
    2020 keeps delivering

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis is like 3 games above Portland and 5 games above Spurs. Spurs need to win 5 games more than memphis (meaning memphis has to lose at least 5/8) tp get to 8th. (and around 2 games more than Portland/Pelicans for 9th)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a really long shot to make the 9th seat, and even longer for the 8th seat.

Spurs need to go 6-2, and none of the NO, Memphis, and Portland does better than 4-4. Very unlikely, and for them to make the 8th seat, you need in addition that Memphis goes 2-6. If somehow they go 7-1, then none should have more than 5 wins for 9th.

So we pretty much need to go on a winning during reg season, and then win two in a row against Memphis to make the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs need to go 6-2, and none of the NO, Memphis, and Portland does better than 4-4. Very unlikely, and for them to make the 8th seat, you need in addition that Memphis goes 2-6. If somehow they go 7-1, then none should have more than 5 wins for 9th.

So we pretty much need to go on a winning during reg season, and then win two in a row against Memphis to make the playoffs.
    A long shot but still much better odds than they had before this format was introduced, especially with the decent schedule they’ll have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how they’ll handle the different number of games teams have played before this tournament as all teams are supposed to play 8 more games. Currently Spurs are 1 game in the win column behind 2 teams. Does it mean if they eventually match their 8 game record they’ll have no shot at making up that 1 game they’re trailing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is going to set up some interesting scenarios
    If your odds are already long and you lose a few out of the gate what's the incentive to go all out in the remaining games- which then impacts others chances. I know this happens every year at the end of the season, but it will be magnified.

After 4 or 5 games you could easily envision the Spurs trotting out an Austin Spur heavy starting 5- Luka, Metu and Keldon
    I'd be IK with that, but optics wise for the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out it's two-tiered. Right now, any team within 6 games of the #8 seed will be going to Orlando. That's why there are 4 teams below #8 from the West, but only 1 team below #8 from the East will be going.

Then they will play 8 games each. All the seeds from 1-8 could change, based on those 8 games. It looks like they will apply tiebreakers, just like in a normal season, so even if the 9 and 10 teams have identical records, the 9 seed will be determined by the tiebreakers.

Then, if the 9th seed team is less than 4 games back of the 8th seed, they will have a play-in. The 8th place team only has to win one game. If the 9th place team wins two games, they will get the 8 seed, even though they might have been 4 games back.
    Close, but there are five teams below #8 in the West, not four.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Close, but there are five teams below #8 in the West, not four.

You're right. Phoenix is six games back, and will get to go to Orlando.

Hard to believe that only one team in the East was within six games of 30-35 Orlando. They went on a serious tank-a-thon in the last couple of months of the season. This ought to be a clue that the NBA needs to deal with that , too. Maybe the league could start bringing up whole G-League teams, and sending whole NBA teams down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    W
    You're right. Phoenix is six games back, and will get to go to Orlando.

Hard to believe that only one team in the East was within six games of 30-35 Orlando. They went on a serious tank-a-thon in the last couple of months of the season. This ought to be a clue that the NBA needs to deal with that , too. Maybe the league could start bringing up whole G-League teams, and sending whole NBA teams down.
    I think the fact that three teams lottery jumped into the top four draft picks last year might give teams pause to reconsider outright tanking. Even at #11, the Spurs have a 20% chance of drawing one of those picks. Why completely destroy your team if you have a good chance to achieve the same goal without complete teardown?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I best scenario actually occurs if the Suns move past us.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no faith in this POS team poop has ruined. hopefully he’ll retire with the playoff streak. looking forward to wine drunk incoherent post game ramblings about our soon to be re-elected president tbh
    trump hes not getting re-elected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the fact that three teams lottery jumped into the top four draft picks last year
    Can you make this a working example?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how they’ll handle the different number of games teams have played before this tournament as all teams are supposed to play 8 more games. Currently Spurs are 1 game in the win column behind 2 teams. Does it mean if they eventually match their 8 game record they’ll have no shot at making up that 1 game they’re trailing?
    thats what i'm wondering.

at first i thought it was going to be where it was a clean slate where seeds 9-13 would have a record of 0-0 for the 8 game regular season because of the uneven # of games played thus far. Otherwise i would have expected something more like "everyone will play 72 games total for the year" so if a team has only played 63 games, they will play 9 games in this "mini" regular season. If a team has played 64 games already then they would only play 8 games.
    Last edited by TDomination; 06-04-2020 at 10:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trump hes not getting re-elected.
    I’ll make sure to respond to this exact post when he does

KAG

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I’ll make sure to respond to this exact post when he does

KAG
    Better hope that he does not. A President who sends their own military against there own citizens is a diktator not a democratic president. Its like Venezuela thanks to trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A long shot but still much better odds than they had before this format was introduced, especially with the decent schedule they’ll have.
    You mean 20 teams, 4 groups of 5 two 2 advance? If that's the case, we still play 8 games and one can argue that there is a scenario we advance with a 5-3 record and we definitely advance with a 6-2 record and we don't have to beat the 8th seat twice in a row. But I agree out schedule now is easier than what it would be with the other format. We don't play any of of the top 4 teams in the league, and we do have Utah twice w/o Bojan.

I was hoping for a 24 team format, 4 groups of 6 top 4 teams advance.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out it's two-tiered. Right now, any team within 6 games of the #8 seed will be going to Orlando. That's why there are 4 teams below #8 from the West, but only 1 team below #8 from the East will be going.

Then they will play 8 games each. All the seeds from 1-8 could change, based on those 8 games. It looks like they will apply tiebreakers, just like in a normal season, so even if the 9 and 10 teams have identical records, the 9 seed will be determined by the tiebreakers.

Then, if the 9th seed team is less than 4 games back of the 8th seed, they will have a play-in. The 8th place team only has to win one game. If the 9th place team wins two games, they will get the 8 seed, even though they might have been 4 games back.
    Thank you for this!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grizzlies’ next and final 8 games based on VinceGoodwill reporting:

Portland
    Utah
    San Antonio
    Oklahoma City
    Milwaukee
    New Orleans
    New Orleans
    Boston

ROFL NBA really doesn't want the small town Grizz in the playoffs

I bet the Zion's get the worst team 8 times

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the championship could really almost be anyone's
    RIP Jazz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have been gifted a golden opportunity. which means Pop will probably play Forbes 40mpg and take out Duncan on the last possession

FIFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really wish there spurs could get into the east conference with this. the east teams all have at least the play-in. the wizards should have to fight there western teams for the play in spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better hope that he does not. A President who sends their own military against there own citizens is a diktator not a democratic president. Its like Venezuela thanks to trump.
    1794 George Washington Whisky Insurrection

1921 Warren G Harding Battle of Blair Mountain

1932 Franklin Roosevelt Bonus Army Insurrection

1942 Franklin Roosevelt Executive Order 9066 Seizure and Internment of US citizens

1957 Dwight Eisenhower Little Rock Nine use of 101st Airborne

1992 George H W Bush Los Angeles Riots

2013 Barrack Obama
    Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil

Article Mother Jones News

Not exactly a right wing outlet

We survived all these dictatorships

Thread Information