Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i wonder if donovan mitc and gobert have patched things up.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    when can teams start making trades again?

if this was a normal postseason then teams not in the POs would be able to make moves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if two teams finish wthin 4 games of the 8 seed? What if the 9 and 10 seeds are tied? Are they going by win percentage for teams that have played uneven amounts of games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wonder if donovan mitc and gobert have patched things up.
    Bogdanovic had surgery, and will be out of action. Ingles is supposedly not coming back for this, although that would likely involve docked pay, and maybe a suspension next year. If he’s forced to attend, I can’t image him being very motivated.

They’re kind of a hot mess right now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if two teams finish wthin 4 games of the 8 seed? What if the 9 and 10 seeds are tied? Are they going by win percentage for teams that have played uneven amounts of games?
    only the 9th place team would get the play in even if all 5 were within 4 games.
    There are tie breakers to figure out who is higher just like in a regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Only one team plays the #8. I imagine there are some sort of tiebreakers in place, but they haven’t announced them yet.

As always, if you don’t want to get screwed by a tiebreaker, make sure you’re not involved in one. If someone does go down on win % with an uneven # of games, it won’t be these 8 games, it will be the missed opportunities in the earlier 60 something games. As Bill Parcells famously said, “ you are what your record says you are”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a virtual tie for 9th place right now, Spurs, Sac, NO at 36 losses, and Port at 37 losses.

The playoffs is imminently reachable, even with a .500 record in the 8 regular season games.
    And then you beat Memphis 2 out of 3, and the playoff streak extends to 23.

There's real hope here..... just as long as two certain shooting guards get their minutes reduced!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a virtual tie for 9th place right now, Spurs, Sac, NO at 36 losses, and Port at 37 losses.

The playoffs is imminently reachable, even with a .500 record in the 8 regular season games.
    And then you beat Memphis 2 out of 3, and the playoff streak extends to 23.

There's real hope here..... just as long as two certain shooting guards get their minutes reduced!
    Its not 2 out of 3 it is spurs would have to win 2 before Memphis wins 1. Or 9th seed has to win 2 before 8th seed wins 1.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Bogdanovic had surgery, and will be out of action. Ingles is supposedly not coming back for this, although that would likely involve docked pay, and maybe a suspension next year. If he’s forced to attend, I can’t image him being very motivated.

They’re kind of a hot mess right now.
    oh, for sure. i'm expecting for conley and gobert to get moved tbh.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    **Checks standing**

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i think the spurs will play better basketball than they were.

bring demar off the bench so he stays hungry / motivated.

idc how young / raw the SL is... give forbes minimal minutes.

damn, all this reminds how much the spurs need a SF

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i really think pop will light a fire under the team's ass. things (outside factors) are so different now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure Jazz will get their act together now. You know? Surgery, people starting to look outside franchise already by sound of it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how this plays out.

1. we go and pull off some big miracle win/ knock someone out in a shock for the ages. That’s possible. More so if we got to a best of 7 with Pop.

2. just consolidate pick, possibility we move up or increase % likelihood of that happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. we go and pull off some big miracle win/ knock someone out in a shock for the ages. That’s possible. More so if we got to a best of 7 with Pop.

2. just consolidate pick, possibility we move up or increase % likelihood of that happening.
    We can’t move up, and can only move down if we play in to the playoffs. Any teams not playing in to the playoffs revert to their March 11 spot. We draft #11 or we make the playoffs and move down.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

nope, all making the playoffs does is keep the streak alive and ensure the Spurs get thrashed by the Lakers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah making playoffs just tank and get it over with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out it's two-tiered. Right now, any team within 6 games of the #8 seed will be going to Orlando. That's why there are 4 teams below #8 from the West, but only 1 team below #8 from the East will be going.

Then they will play 8 games each. All the seeds from 1-8 could change, based on those 8 games. It looks like they will apply tiebreakers, just like in a normal season, so even if the 9 and 10 teams have identical records, the 9 seed will be determined by the tiebreakers.

Then, if the 9th seed team is less than 4 games back of the 8th seed, they will have a play-in. The 8th place team only has to win one game. If the 9th place team wins two games, they will get the 8 seed, even though they might have been 4 games back.
    Thanks for this explanation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not 2 out of 3 it is spurs would have to win 2 before Memphis wins 1. Or 9th seed has to win 2 before 8th seed wins 1.
    Ah okay thanks for clearing that. Essentially 8th has to just win that first game and it's done, and if not they get a 2nd try to win game 2 and then game 3. Need to brush up on my college world series format.
    Also I was wrong on there even being a 9th seed unless it finished within 4 games of #8.

Memphis has a 3-loss advantage over the Spurs so going 4-4 in the 8 games may not be enough.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah okay thanks for clearing that. Essentially 8th has to just win that first game and it's done, and if not they get a 2nd try to win game 2 and then game 3. Need to brush up on my college world series format.
    Also I was wrong on there even being a 9th seed unless it finished within 4 games of #8.

Memphis has a 3-loss advantage over the Spurs so going 4-4 in the 8 games may not be enough.
    Closer but no game 3. it is over after 2 games. 8 seed wins 1 or 2 and they are in. 9th seed wins both and they are in. possible out comes. 8 seed 1-0 in. 8 seed 1-1 in. 8 seed 0-2 out (9th seed in)

you are correct about 9th needed in to be within 4 games to make the PO. In the west I think there will be a play in as there are so many teams within 4 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So technically this is a playoff series.

Spurs once again making the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. The top 8 in each conference are going to Orlando, just like you would expect. But any team that is within 4 games of the 8 seed will get a chance to take that 8 seed in a mini-playoff.

Basically, they didn't want any team saying, "We COULD have caught the 8 team, if the season had gone full length. (Think Damien Lillard.) So they're giving them a chance to sneak in, if they play well enough in the play-in tourney.
    So playoffs. Not RS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only one team plays the #8. I imagine there are some sort of tiebreakers in place, but they haven’t announced them yet.

As always, if you don’t want to get screwed by a tiebreaker, make sure you’re not involved in one. If someone does go down on win % with an uneven # of games, it won’t be these 8 games, it will be the missed opportunities in the earlier 60 something games. As Bill Parcells famously said, “ you are what your record says you are”.
    Not exactly true in this case. Say, the Spurs match NO's record in the 8 games and they're fighting for 9th. SA would be half a game behind due to playing one game less, but they could hold the tie breaker with no way to make up for that one less game played. I'm sure they'll have something in place for such a scenario though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Woah.
    No cupcakes in that group. Can't say I am at all optimistic about grabbing that eight seed...more worried about winning just enough to up our 11th pick, tbh.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So playoffs. Not RS.

I was wrong about that - based on some of the early reports calling Orlando a play-in tournament. It's not a mini-playoff, just a potential one or two game contest between #8 and #9, to determine the 8 seed. The 9 team would have to win two games, but the 8 team would only have to win one.

It would suck to wind up with a tied record for 8th, and drop to 9 on the tiebreaker.

So technically this is a playoff series.

Spurs once again making the playoffs.

No, it's not a playoff series. It's an 8 game continuation of the season, but just between teams that had a more or less legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Thread Information