Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm confused. The Spurs have played one less game than every other team and 2 less games than Portland. So, does this mean their path is harder?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fully expect no changes and for the same rotation to be utilized.

They should be utilizing these 8 games primarily to get a better read on Walker. He's 90 games away from being extension eligible. Time to start finding out, is he a core building block, rotation filler or somewhere in between? If they blow this team up this off season, he might have to be the 1st option by default next season.

Even though his role with the starters (swap him and Forbes and Lyles with Gay) would be more 3 and D, at least by giving him a consistent 24 mpg right now, he can hopefully use it to build confidence and as a springboard into next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some folks here seem to think the Spurs have really low chances of making the playoffs. Like in terms of them continuing to suck that's true. But they pretty much just need to have the best record of the 9-13 teams to get a chance to play Memphis for the last spot. That's not unreasonable for them to achieve, given that they play NO and a weakened Utah twice. I'm not saying they'll do it, especially since they probably won't make coaching changes. But some seem to think they have to catch Memphis in the standings, when they just have to keep pace with them. Securing the ninth seed is what is most important, not getting all the way up to eight in the next eight games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some folks here seem to think the Spurs have really low chances of making the playoffs. Like in terms of them continuing to suck that's true. But they pretty much just need to have the best record of the 9-13 teams to get a chance to play Memphis for the last spot. That's not unreasonable for them to achieve, given that they play NO and a weakened Utah twice. I'm not saying they'll do it, especially since they probably won't make coaching changes. But some seem to think they have to catch Memphis in the standings, when they just have to keep pace with them. Securing the ninth seed is what is most important, not getting all the way up to eight in the next eight games.
    We have 8 games to pick up 3 games on the 3 teams that are 2.5 ahead of us. Using the season so far as a template, I don’t like our chances. Seven of our games are against playoff bound teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have 8 games to pick up 3 games on the 3 teams that are 2.5 ahead of us. Using the season so far as a template, I don’t like our chances. Seven of our games are against playoff bound teams.
    I think the Spurs are only .5 games behind those teams (vs. 2.5) so the Spurs have a reasonable path if they play well (big if).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which 3 teams are 2.5 games ahead? I also think we have an easier schedule then most. We would need to beat memphis as that also puts pressure on them when we play them for the play in part. We already beat you once (regular season) now just need to beat you 2 more times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad. We are 0.5 games back.

The reality is that the NBA badly wants Zion in the playoffs, and have made no bones about it. The Pelicans have five playoff teams on their schedule, as far as I can tell, and we have seven.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being .5 games back is one thing. Being .5 games back of three other teams is another. It's not just a matter of playing good, they also need other teams to not play good. And that's just to get into 9th place.

They're 4 games back of Memphis, with 8 games to play. If it was the regular season, that would be pretty close to hopeless. But with this format, "all" they would have to do is win two games back-to-back against Memphis to squeeze into the 8th seed for the playoffs.

Here's another fun possibility: Suppose the Spurs go 8-0, and Memphis goes 4-4. Memphis would be 36-37 overall (.4931) and the Spurs would be 35-36 overall (.4929). Would they give the 8 seed to Memphis over two thousandths? Or would they give the 8 seed to the Spurs, because they would (probably) own the tiebreaker (division record)?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do have a chance, it'll all come down to how we play and our guys. The two teams that worry be are the Blazers (there healthy) and NO (easier Schedule and the potential for a Lebron vs Zion.....). But this pause in the season, also allowed us to get healthier, Jacob should be back, Lonnie should be good, plus it provided the guys rest.

The two series/games that worry be are Griz and No, the nugget games i feel are close, A weaken jaz team and the 76ers (we some how play the playoff east teams really well)

Simply we got bring out A game! Hopefully this rest gave some of our older guy(s) (.....rudy..) the rest they need to get there legs back in and during this break, hopefully some of our youngs took the time to work on certain aspect of the their game ( i know Murray and Lonnie were have put work in over the break).

Lastly i think the dark horse for us might be Keldon, he shown us a lot and he has the Size and strength to guard sf. He reminds a bot of Tucker/iguodala. Plus he has the dog mentally and pop has seen allowed him to go out and play more the last few games before the season was stopped.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad. We are 0.5 games back.

The reality is that the NBA badly wants Zion in the playoffs, and have made no bones about it. The Pelicans have five playoff teams on their schedule, as far as I can tell, and we have seven.
    I count us at 6. cant count both the Pelicans and memphis as one. If one is in the other is probably not. I could see why you say they have an easier schedule though but not by much.

We also both play the kings and each other. we play memphis once Jazz twice they play Jazz once memphis twice. I dont think there is much spread between these two. I know Jazz are ranked high but I think memphis may be better with with the Jazz infighting. Your really only looking at one game difference here. (jazz/memphis).
    The difference comes in the remaining three games. They play the Clippers magic and kings again vs us who play the nuggets twice and 76ers. I would agree we have the tougher schedule here but we did take nuggets to 7 games last year. I would say they have the slightly easier schedule but not a huge difference and with this short of a season you are going to have disparities.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather have the 11-12, possibly 4 pick than the playoffs, in which we would get absolutely embarrassed by whichever team we would play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm confused. The Spurs have played one less game than every other team and 2 less games than Portland. So, does this mean their path is harder?
    That's my question as well, to my understanding the league hasn't address that just yet. We will know when the schedule is announced. But if that's the case, Spurs would need to go 6-2 and no other team better than 4-4, to secure thy 9th seat, thus we need 8-2 to make the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Each team will play 8 games. It will go off of percentage to do the rankings. If teams are tied will follow normal tiebreakers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll make sure to respond to this exact post when he does

KAG
    I will too. Lets put a wager on it? If he wins I’ll delete my account and leave this forum if he loses you delete your account and leave this forum how does that sound?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully they lose most of those games and we’re lottery bound tbh...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might be wrong on this, but it seems we like just need to get to the 9th seat, and than we'll have the chance to play the Griz for the 8th seat. Again i may be wrong but this my understanding of the new rules. Anyhow, we either play a one-game series against the Griz or best of 3 (idk)...

we're a .5 games out of the 9th seat, so all we have to do is play better than 500 to have a chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will too. Lets put a wager on it? If he wins I’ll delete my account and leave this forum if he loses you delete your account and leave this forum how does that sound?
    do whatever you want, seems like I live in your peanut beta cuck rat brain head rent free

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we come back I think you will see a team that has lost its faith in their coach and will basically quit on him in the end. Not one of them thinks they have a legit chance to win and are probably pissed they have to play and subject themselves to the Corona Virus.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rough math & assuming the Grizz don't completely collapse: The Spurs have basically a 1 in 4 chance of getting the 9th seed if you're generous and assume NO/Por/Sac/SA are all roughly equal talent. From there, they have a 1 in 4 chance of actually getting into the playoffs by beating Memphis twice. .25 *.25 = 6.25% odds of making the actual playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do whatever you want, seems like I live in your peanut beta cuck rat brain head rent free
    Na man i got other things to do i dont have 1,658 post of pure nonsense on here.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rough math & assuming the Grizz don't completely collapse: The Spurs have basically a 1 in 4 chance of getting the 9th seed if you're generous and assume NO/Por/Sac/SA are all roughly equal talent. From there, they have a 1 in 4 chance of actually getting into the playoffs by beating Memphis twice. .25 *.25 = 6.25% odds of making the actual playoffs.
    I think this is pretty reasonable. However there's also a small, but non-zero, chance that the Spurs get all the way to #8. They would then have a 75% chance of getting into the playoffs assuming both games against #9 are coinflips.

At the moment, keeping your assumption that NO/Por/Sac/SA are roughly equal (which I think is fair), I think Memphis has a 70% chance of holding on to #8 and the other 4 teams have a 7.5% chance each of getting to #8. That adds 5.625% to the Spurs' playoff chances, for a total of 11.875%.

That puts the overall playoff chances at 52.5% for the Grizzlies and 11.875% for each of the rest. This seems about right to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Na man i got other things to do i dont have 1,658 post of pure nonsense on here.
    half of your posts are replies to posts I’ve made, if I weren’t here you’d have nothing to post about

rent free

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you were to assume that all 4 teams have equal talent, then the spurs need two more wins than those teams to make the 8th spot. That ways less than 1/4 chance! They probably can't afford to drop more than one game, that means they have to go 7-1 and then 2-0 to make the playoffs and there is a very good chance we loose our very first game against Denver.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    half of your posts are replies to posts I’ve made, if I weren’t here you’d have nothing to post about

rent free
    Are they? You went back to look at all of them? How many post are they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they? You went back to look at all of them? How many post are they?
    rent

free

Thread Information