Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA's Board of Governors approved a plan on Thursday that would restart the season in Orlando utilizing a 22-team format, according to the league.
    Three-fourths of the 30 NBA teams must ratify the proposal.
    The new plan would see 13 Western Conference teams and nine Eastern Conference teams play eight "seeding" games to determine seeds in the playoffs. Afterwards, the seven teams in each conference with the best combined records with both regular season games and seeding games would qualify for the playoffs -- set to proceed the way they always have.
    The top eight teams in both conferences will be a part of the 22 teams playing, the NBA said. The remaining six teams will be those within six games of eighth place.
    The 22 teams participating are: Milwaukee Bucks, Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers, Brooklyn Nets, Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers, New Orleans Pelicans, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So getting an attempt to get an 8 seed that you wont get qualifies as the playoffs to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So getting an attempt to get an 8 seed that you wont get qualifies as the playoffs to you?
    Immortan Pop followers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I prefer to miss the playoffs. The only thing awaiting the Spurs if they get the 8th seed is a sweep from the Lakers. It would be a dull series to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^This

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Spurs should be tanking like a mofo right now.

Play your worst lineup 48 minutes and attempt to lose all 8 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, if you're going to lodge the asterisk then you bet.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not everyone is lodging asterisks. Some talking heads claim the champion will be even more solid as a result of having to overcome all this, no HCA, a lot of isolation, etc.

yeah, if you're going to lodge the asterisk then you bet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everyone is lodging asterisks. Some talking heads claim the champion will be even more solid as a result of having to overcome all this, no HCA, a lot of isolation, etc.
    1999 re

This year is completely non-legit.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So you consider 99 an illegitimate le?

Who cares what Phil Jackson said. Are you promoting him to commissioner?

And no, the Spurs streak is dead unless they manage to get the 8th seed. Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited by Dirks_Finale; 06-05-2020 at 09:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points.
    Of course it will be a novel year.

But good points nonetheless.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    99 was as legit as any other year. Just because there were some less games, and the league was generally devoid of offensive talent since Jordan was gone and the rest of the 90s stars were in rapid decline and the young generation were too raw (except for Duncan), doesn't make the 99 le any less legit. The Spurs had the best player on the planet and took advantage of it and won the championship. Plain and simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet Rogelio is really mad at this

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I prefer to miss the playoffs. The only thing awaiting the Spurs if they get the 8th seed is a sweep from the Lakers. It would be a dull series to watch.
    There were some Lakers fans that were glad they got that exact fate in 2013 rather than finish in the lottery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were some Lakers fans that were glad they got that exact fate in 2013 rather than finish in the lottery.
    The Lakers had a lot of hype that year when they acquired Dwight. The media and their fans believed they were going to go to at least the WCF and a lot thought they would win it all. Them getting into the playoffs was a pride thing for their fans because if they missed it it would have been embarrassing for them and Kobe's legacy. The Spurs on the other hand were picked by a lot of media pundits to either miss the playoffs or barely get in. So missing the playoffs would not be embarrassing.

For me I'm just tired of the last few years of seeing the Spurs as a 7th seed with no upside to get better.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah, I hear ya on that. It's the mediocrity treadmill of that the Utah Jazz had been on forever. Now after 2 decades they are finally off it, apparently. Your Spurs have a gifted front office and you might be able to get a superstar with picks 10-15. You've done it before. For the rest of us, a total tank job needs to happen to get a cant miss player like Doncic.

The Lakers had a lot of hype that year when they acquired Dwight. The media and their fans believed they were going to go to at least the WCF and a lot thought they would win it all. Them getting into the playoffs was a pride thing for their fans because if they missed it it would have been embarrassing for them and Kobe's legacy. The Spurs on the other hand were picked by a lot of media pundits to either miss the playoffs or barely get in. So missing the playoffs would not be embarrassing.

For me I'm just tired of the last few years of seeing the Spurs as a 7th seed with no upside to get better.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It was one of the weakest le teams I have seen, honestly. I know they had a nice 15-2 run but that roster with Jaren Jackson and the crew left much to be desired on the perimeter. And they were badly exposed in the following years before they reloaded... Still, they played the same compe ion as everybody else that year and everybody else didn't win it, so I don't buy into Phil's asterisk. If the 99 Spurs are illegitimate then so are the 2012 Heat.

99 was as legit as any other year. Just because there were some less games, and the league was generally devoid of offensive talent since Jordan was gone and the rest of the 90s stars were in rapid decline and the young generation were too raw (except for Duncan), doesn't make the 99 le any less legit. The Spurs had the best player on the planet and took advantage of it and won the championship. Plain and simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you consider 99 an illegitimate le?

Who cares what Phil Jackson said. Are you promoting him to commissioner?

And no, the Spurs streak is dead unless they manage to get the 8th seed. Sorry, not sorry.
    It's aimed at Lakers fans, so stifle yourself Edith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking is for weak franchises and pussies. Fight to the bitter end, every season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was one of the weakest le teams I have seen, honestly. I know they had a nice 15-2 run but that roster with Jaren Jackson and the crew left much to be desired on the perimeter. And they were badly exposed in the following years before they reloaded... Still, they played the same compe ion as everybody else that year and everybody else didn't win it, so I don't buy into Phil's asterisk. If the 99 Spurs are illegitimate then so are the 2012 Heat.
    Exactly. And the 2002 Lakers because of the riggedness. Game 6, forget all the other bad calls, if they didn't miss the obvious offensive flagrant foul on Kobe when he basically did the same thing to Mike Bibby that Artest did to James Harden in 2012... Bibby gets two free throws and the Kings likely have the lead AND possession and almost certainly go on to win the game, and the championship. One of the biggest crocks in sports. The 2002 Lakers were NOT the best team in the league; they were old and tired, and got bailed out.

If you're going to lodge the asterick in one place, you can't have double standards. Else, what stands stands.

Yes, the 1999 Spurs team was weaker than the 1996-1998 Bulls and Jazz and weaker than the 2000-2002 Lakers, Kings, Mavs, Blazers etc... but it was the best team in the NBA in 1999, and they took advantage of it.

For the record, even though a lot of older Spurs fans have nostalgia about '99, it wasn't my favorite championship team; instead, 2003 was, because they weren't one of the 3 or even 5 best teams in the league and they overcame tons of adversity, the refs, hit-or-miss shooting, early season struggles/mediocrity and other teams simply having superior rosters. But the only thing the Spurs had in their favor is that Duncan was the greatest queen of the chess board ever that year. You can argue the Dirk injury prevented a potential 7 game series, but the Spurs were already essentially up 2-1 in the series and the Spurs pretty much ran over the Mavs that series except for when Nelson resorted to hack-a- got.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Spurs tanked to get Duncan and the result was 5 les.

I'd say it worked out pretty well for them.

Tanking is for weak franchises and pussies. Fight to the bitter end, every season.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It was 17 years ago but it feels like Kerr and Jackson are still burying three's on us. Damn that game 6 was a nightmare I thought we were going 7 and Dirk walks out there and tries to play through it if that happened, but we know how it ended. And I do feel like you guys were the better team because you actually defended well while we were pretty predictable with the zone. And I recall Speedy Claxton coming out of nowhere and saving Parker's butt in that le run. It was just as unpredictable as our 2011 run.

Exactly. And the 2002 Lakers because of the riggedness. Game 6, forget all the other bad calls, if they didn't miss the obvious offensive flagrant foul on Kobe when he basically did the same thing to Mike Bibby that Artest did to James Harden in 2012... Bibby gets two free throws and the Kings likely have the lead AND possession and almost certainly go on to win the game, and the championship. One of the biggest crocks in sports. The 2002 Lakers were NOT the best team in the league; they were old and tired, and got bailed out.

If you're going to lodge the asterick in one place, you can't have double standards. Else, what stands stands.

Yes, the 1999 Spurs team was weaker than the 1996-1998 Bulls and Jazz and weaker than the 2000-2002 Lakers, Kings, Mavs, Blazers etc... but it was the best team in the NBA in 1999, and they took advantage of it.

For the record, even though a lot of older Spurs fans have nostalgia about '99, it wasn't my favorite championship team; instead, 2003 was, because they weren't one of the 3 or even 5 best teams in the league and they overcame tons of adversity, the refs, hit-or-miss shooting, early season struggles/mediocrity and other teams simply having superior rosters. But the only thing the Spurs had in their favor is that Duncan was the greatest queen of the chess board ever that year. You can argue the Dirk injury prevented a potential 7 game series, but the Spurs were already essentially up 2-1 in the series and the Spurs pretty much ran over the Mavs that series except for when Nelson resorted to hack-a- got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was 17 years ago but it feels like Kerr and Jackson are still burying three's on us. Damn that game 6 was a nightmare I thought we were going 7 and Dirk walks out there and tries to play through it if that happened, but we know how it ended. And I do feel like you guys were the better team because you actually defended well while we were pretty predictable with the zone. And I recall Speedy Claxton coming out of nowhere and saving Parker's butt in that le run. It was just as unpredictable as our 2011 run.
    Yep. Even going into the first round of the playoffs a lot of pundits thought both the 60-win Spurs and the 50-win Pistons were two of the more vulnerable #1-seeds in a long time and the playoffs would be hotly contested on either side from the get-go. It turns out they were right:

-the Blazers were extremely close to doing the unthinkable of coming back from 0-3 to beat the Mavs, without HCA no less. The Blazers actually had the lead and the ball midway thru the 4th quarter of Game 7. IIRC, Pippen was on fire.

-the Pistons fell behind 1-3 to the 8th seeded Orlando Magic because Tracy McGrady was on a whole different planet early in that series. They came back and squeaked out a series victory, but it was surprisingly evenly matched

-Lakers vs Minnesota was very close and the Wolves were a couple possessions away from going up 3-1 in the series and ending the Lakers' le run early,

-the Pacers-Celtics series definitely didn't go the way people expected, and

-the Spurs were in a dogfight with the Suns, Marbury totally had Parker's number, and the Spurs were a remarkable, nail-biting 4th quarter comeback away from going down 0-2 at home to Phoenix, which would have been the death knell and the nail in the coffin for David Robinson's career. Also Dallas likely wins the championship that year (or Sacramento if Webber doesn't go down early in that series). Don't think Marbury and rookie Amare were enough offensive firepower to take down the loaded Mavs or Kings, but they had just the right combo that gave the Spurs fits, and with the Spurs hot-and-cold shooting that year they were frankly beatable by a lot of teams.

It's so odd how matchups worked in basketball during those times, pre-analytics, with all those great superstars in their primes. The Suns improved from #8 to #1 in the West by simply swapping out Marbury and defensive-minded Frank Johnson for Nash and D'Antoni, and keeping the rest of the team essentially the same. But the critical difference was that the 2003 team was a bone in the Spurs' throat while the 2005 team was completely stymied by the Spurs' poise and experience.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 06-06-2020 at 03:30 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Spurs tanked to get Duncan and the result was 5 les.

I'd say it worked out pretty well for them.
    Truth nuke tbh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I had forgotten about some of those things you mentioned. Dang, 03 was NUTS

I do remember Marbury practically owning Parker everytime they played. Marbury just overpowed him. And I'm sure that 03 team gave you a few ulcers as I remember them always blowing leads and having to hit some big shots to close games out that should not have been necessary to begin with.

Of all your le teams, I thought 05 was the best. I know many will argue with 2014 but to me, 05 had the perfect mixture of stars in their prime and good role players. The defense was incredible and they had a very difficult Final's opponent. Even though the Spurs had won a few, many did not feel like they were all that legit until they knocked off Detroit in 05. They talked about 99 'Asterisk' and the 03 Horry shot that rimmed out and tried to claim the Spurs were in the right place at the right time. But in 05 all that was squelched. The Wallace boys played great defense on Duncan and that Detroit team was as mentally fit as they come. Very underrated series.

Yep. Even going into the first round of the playoffs a lot of pundits thought both the 60-win Spurs and the 50-win Pistons were two of the more vulnerable #1-seeds in a long time and the playoffs would be hotly contested on either side from the get-go. It turns out they were right:

-the Blazers were extremely close to doing the unthinkable of coming back from 0-3 to beat the Mavs, without HCA no less. The Blazers actually had the lead and the ball midway thru the 4th quarter of Game 7. IIRC, Pippen was on fire.

-the Pistons fell behind 1-3 to the 8th seeded Orlando Magic because Tracy McGrady was on a whole different planet early in that series. They came back and squeaked out a series victory, but it was surprisingly evenly matched

-Lakers vs Minnesota was very close and the Wolves were a couple possessions away from going up 3-1 in the series and ending the Lakers' le run early,

-the Pacers-Celtics series definitely didn't go the way people expected, and

-the Spurs were in a dogfight with the Suns, Marbury totally had Parker's number, and the Spurs were a remarkable, nail-biting 4th quarter comeback away from going down 0-2 at home to Phoenix, which would have been the death knell and the nail in the coffin for David Robinson's career. Also Dallas likely wins the championship that year (or Sacramento if Webber doesn't go down early in that series). Don't think Marbury and rookie Amare were enough offensive firepower to take down the loaded Mavs or Kings, but they had just the right combo that gave the Spurs fits, and with the Spurs hot-and-cold shooting that year they were frankly beatable by a lot of teams.

It's so odd how matchups worked in basketball during those times, pre-analytics, with all those great superstars in their primes. The Suns improved from #8 to #1 in the West by simply swapping out Marbury and defensive-minded Frank Johnson for Nash and D'Antoni, and keeping the rest of the team essentially the same. But the critical difference was that the 2003 team was a bone in the Spurs' throat while the 2005 team was completely stymied by the Spurs' poise and experience.

Thread Information