Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Development is not as simple as having a guy that doesn't shoot threes, isn't a good defender, and has had mediocre advanced stats for a decade "mentor" a young player.
    A good mentor doesn't have to be a good player. There is also much more to mentoring than specific on-court skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good mentor doesn't have to be a good player. There is also much more to mentoring than specific on-court skills.
    I agree completely. Tim Duncan could be a good mentor for Keldon. So could Becky Hammond, and Patty Mills. I just don't think DDR is the best choice. His on court body language is often the worst on the team, and his style of play isn't what a young player needs to emulate. Just my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree completely. Tim Duncan could be a good mentor for Keldon. So could Becky Hammond, and Patty Mills. I just don't think DDR is the best choice. His on court body language is often the worst on the team, and his style of play isn't what a young player needs to emulate. Just my opinion.
    If there's anything DeMar should transfer to Keldon, it's footwork. That is what one of DeMar's star qualities.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-05-2020 at 11:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's fair. I was thinking more vet-to-young'un off-court stuff like preparation, how to handle long road trips, breaking down film, that kind of thing. Some of things are better done player-to-player rather than coach-to-player.

I certainly don't want Keldon emulating all parts of DeRozan's game either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there's anything DeMar should transfer to Keldon, it's footwork. That is what one of DeMar's star qualities.
    True, but he could also watch video of Kevin McHale, Clyde Frazier, T mac, Manu, MJ, or Hakeem too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that 100%. People here hate DeMar but when it comes to scoring 2s he's elite. His arsenal of moves is vicious and he has better footwork than most big men. It's just that he's not shooting 3s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that 100%. People here hate DeMar but when it comes to scoring 2s he's elite. His arsenal of moves is vicious and he has better footwork than most big men. It's just that he's not shooting 3s
    It's much more than that. His on court/off court numbers are among the worst on the entire team. The team gains about 1 pt per 100 possessions when he's the floor, but gives up about 6 points more defensively. His 2Pt FG% is good, but it's not so elite as to justify his not shooting threes. This season, players like Gordon Hayward, Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Donte DiVencenzo, & TJ Warren had better 2pt%s, and they all also shot the three, giving them all better adjusted FG%s than DeRozan. Among SFs, he ranks 51st in the league in RPM, behind guys like Cedi Osman and Andrew Wiggins. If you classify him as a PF, he'd rank 49th. If you classify him as a SG, he'd rank 77th, behind Grayson Allen and.... wait for it..... Bryn Forbes. Anyway you look at it, DeRozan is making superstar money but producing like a very average player. And none of this is new. These issues of net production have plagued him for a decade, and are much worse in the playoffs.

http://www.82games.com/1920/19SAS9.HTM
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/pla...oal-percentage
    http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/position/5

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best comparison to Keldon Johnson is Bonzi Wells.
    A Rugged 2 that could play the 3, the small ball 4 and win games for a team with certain mismatches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's much more than that. His on court/off court numbers are among the worst on the entire team. The team gains about 1 pt per 100 possessions when he's the floor, but gives up about 6 points more defensively. His 2Pt FG% is good, but it's not so elite as to justify his not shooting threes. This season, players like Gordon Hayward, Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Donte DiVencenzo, & TJ Warren had better 2pt%s, and they all also shot the three, giving them all better adjusted FG%s than DeRozan. Among SFs, he ranks 51st in the league in RPM, behind guys like Cedi Osman and Andrew Wiggins. If you classify him as a PF, he'd rank 49th. If you classify him as a SG, he'd rank 77th, behind Grayson Allen and.... wait for it..... Bryn Forbes. Anyway you look at it, DeRozan is making superstar money but producing like a very average player. And none of this is new. These issues of net production have plagued him for a decade, and are much worse in the playoffs.

http://www.82games.com/1920/19SAS9.HTM
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/pla...oal-percentage
    http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/position/5
    You do realize that I wasn't talking about that AT ALL? Everybody knows DeMar is a net negative which always makes people question if the team is better off without him. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about his 1 on 1 skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that I wasn't talking about that AT ALL? Everybody knows DeMar is a net negative which always makes people question if the team is better off without him. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about his 1 on 1 skills.
    I understand, but you implied earlier that the "hate" (which I don't feel for him at all) was just because he wasn't shooting threes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best comparison to Keldon Johnson is Bonzi Wells.
    A Rugged 2 that could play the 3, the small ball 4 and win games for a team with certain mismatches.
    During the bubble games, Elliott was comparing him to an elder player, I can't remember but I do know that sean knows his stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/f...keldon-johnson

Interview to Keldon's agent, has some tidbits on Keldon and how he's been approaching the off-season. Gotta love his work ethic.

"The goal for him is to continue to grow both on and off the court and just to get better. To maximize his potential both on and off the court. We're just excited about it."

And this includes seeing Johnson reach his potential on the court.

"He is an extremely hard worker and he just wants to get better and better every day. You almost have to pull him out the gym," Bryant said. "He played really well in the NBA's bubble, but he's not satisfied. He really believes that there's another level that he's trying to get to and he's working his butt off right now to get there.

"San Antonio has a very special player in Keldon and I'm honored to represent him as well."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His agent is seeing big dollars next contract. Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His agent is seeing big dollars next contract. Lol.
    If Keldon earns them that's fine by me. Stars are worth paying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon seems to have already adopted San Antonio as his home. Signed with a local agency (his old agent obviously screwed up his draft prep, so it was smart to walk away), working out locally and getting involved in the community. That might be record time for a young player.

prayingdog.jpg @ Keldon's future being as bright as it appeared to be after watching him in the bubble.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you compare Tim to Dave when it comes to being part of and intermingling with the community, it was night and DAVE. Dave is the most important Spur for first signing with the team when he could have been a free agent and how he embraced the community and it embraced him back. A 7 foot Captain America in Basketball shoes was perfect for Military City.

Tim's on-court achievements have overshadowed Mr. Robinson, and most of the posers that participate in this community sadly don't have any idea about Dave. It was his neighborhood before Tim's. Despite being the greatest Spur Tim, just wasn't that type of guy; he was so inaccessible. Appreciated, revered, and liked, but privacy was his #1 priority. Spurs fans allowed him that. That is not to say that Tony and Tim weren't accessible, they were, but they are France and Argentina first and foremost. Mute cancer was a pipe dream I don't even know if he talks to his"TEAM"; show me that game tape, tbh. The Spurs image/brand suffered nationally as a consequence. (even has it flourished internationally because of Tony and Manu)

Keldon has to be the next most important Spur after Tim because he can be like Dave in his way for his own time; if he not, then this franchise is gone sooner than later. The Spurs Brand has to change and grow, and he can be the point man leading the way in doing so.

Just the way I see things after following this team since watching them loose back to back Western conference Finals 1982-1983 postseasons to the lakers. It was what made me follow the team(and that they were in San Antonio and I'm from there), but David Robinson is the guy for me who made me love the team.
    Ah yes the new doom and gloom in here since the spurs are no longer contenders we'll gets posts about the team moving when they miss the playoffs.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon seems to have already adopted San Antonio as his home. Signed with a local agency (his old agent obviously screwed up his draft prep, so it was smart to walk away), working out locally and getting involved in the community. That might be record time for a young player.

prayingdog.jpg @ Keldon's future being as bright as it appeared to be after watching him in the bubble.
    hope spurs management wont screw this up and build a solid team including him. Otherwise if he becomes better and better, sooner or later will be gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon has got next. Thanks, Toronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Said it from the start - Hardenesque, baby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Keldon is getting beefy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks taller then 6'6" in those pictures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My boy looking JACKED. The future for sure. Hope the rest of our youngings are also putting in the work... Does anyone have any other info about that mini-camp? Will it be televised?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This Jeff guy sounds like he posts on SpursTalk.... Which one of you is it?

Thread Information