Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does he look next to DDR was not able to watch this game.
    He looks... Big. Really big. This is a Spergs-eyetester level of analysis, but he looked bigger than DDR on the court, and maybe even a bit taller? I don't know how tall DDR is (supposed to be). But if I'm not mistaken, the starting lineup officially had DDR at the 3, and Keldon at the 4. So that tells you everything you need to know in regards to how coaching sees Johnson.

Big Body, baby.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks... Big. Really big. This is a Spergs-eyetester level of analysis, but he looked bigger than DDR on the court, and maybe even a bit taller? I don't know how tall DDR is (supposed to be). But if I'm not mistaken, the starting lineup officially had DDR at the 3, and Keldon at the 4. So that tells you everything you need to know in regards to how coaching sees Johnson.

Big Body, baby.
    It's not all about height anyway. The other two dimensions (length and width) matter too.

For example, Chuck Hayes was a stout post defender despite being only 6'6".

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big Body is young Kawhi with a great personality and anything for the team mentality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reason a short power forward would be considered a liability is when he's facing an opposing forward who's posting him up and backing him down easily. Strength is what's needed at that position these days. LaMarcus' post up ability did nothing against Harden because Harden is so strong that LMA was unable to back him down. No matter how tall LaMarcus is, him being able to shoot over James didn't matter. Whereas if you recall the Denver series, Millsap was having his way EASILY against Rudy Gay. So if Keldon wants to continue to be a starter (assuming other positions are locked in), then he needs to hope players like Millsap won't have their way against him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like KJ and DDR at the 4 in certain lineups but to really compete we are going to need for Luka to develop or make a move for a real 4 who can spread the floor and is physical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some gems on the first few pages... Here's one of them.
    PJ was a 2/3 that now moonlights as a 4/5

KJ can play the four.

Wow. So far off!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can pull up some legitimately re ed Dejounte takes though. I mean this whole forum is full of them now that Dejounte lives here 24/7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PJ was a 2/3 that now moonlights as a 4/5

KJ can play the four.

Wow. So far off!
    It's not about positions, it's about their style, play, and upside. PJ is nowhere close to KJ in terms of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can pull up some legitimately re ed Dejounte takes though. I mean this whole forum is full of them now that Dejounte lives here 24/7.
    Don't take it personal. I'm just busting your balls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about positions, it's about their style, play, and upside. PJ is nowhere close to KJ in terms of that.
    I know you reeeeally want a gotcha but this isn't it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not all about height anyway. The other two dimensions (length and width) matter too.

For example, Chuck Hayes was a stout post defender despite being only 6'6".
    For sure. I haven't checked his measurements in a while, but he didn't seem to have a bad wingspan nor standing reach. I remember the disparity between his height and standing reach, due to his short neck, but nothing more than that. Would be interesting to see how his (supposed, since he might've grown since then) measurements stack up to the average PF dimensions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like KJ and DDR at the 4 in certain lineups but to really compete we are going to need for Luka to develop or make a move for a real 4 who can spread the floor and is physical.
    Well, if we assume DD leaves for greener pastures next season (big IF, I know), it'd only leave Keldon as a stretch-4, so to speak. I definitely agree though that we need a "real" 4, especially a perimeter oriented one, to pair with and complement Jakob's defensive oriented game. I'm really hoping we can snatch Collins away from Atlanta, he's a perfect fit here. I hope a solid season from all our players can convince him that we're the best opportunity he'll get at contention (whilst being handsomely paid).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if we assume DD leaves for greener pastures next season (big IF, I know), it'd only leave Keldon as a stretch-4, so to speak. I definitely agree though that we need a "real" 4, especially a perimeter oriented one, to pair with and complement Jakob's defensive oriented game. I'm really hoping we can snatch Collins away from Atlanta, he's a perfect fit here. I hope a solid season from all our players can convince him that we're the best opportunity he'll get at contention (whilst being handsomely paid).
    I agree with you. I like Collins and I like Lauri. I'm not sure who would cost more but either fit well here with Jakob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you. I like Collins and I like Lauri. I'm not sure who would cost more but either fit well here with Jakob.
    I'm starting to view Collins as more of a C now than a PF. Lauri is even more of a stiff than Collins, so he's definitely a C.

If a PF is the target and Keldon isn't the long-term solution for it, then they need to find a Siakam-prototype PF - lanky, very quick, and can shoot.

I wouldn't mind Collins... he would spell Aldridge's scoring from the C position but it would move Poetl as a bench big permanently. Unless we trade Poetl to the Hawks as part of a sign and trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reason a short power forward would be considered a liability is when he's facing an opposing forward who's posting him up and backing him down easily. Strength is what's needed at that position these days. LaMarcus' post up ability did nothing against Harden because Harden is so strong that LMA was unable to back him down. No matter how tall LaMarcus is, him being able to shoot over James didn't matter. Whereas if you recall the Denver series, Millsap was having his way EASILY against Rudy Gay. So if Keldon wants to continue to be a starter (assuming other positions are locked in), then he needs to hope players like Millsap won't have their way against him.
    Chinook disagrees with that statement. He still thinks Trey Lyles should start

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    did that scrub even play yesterday? dont even remember seeing him brick a shot

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to see us persue Henry Giles for our C position. I think we should have gone after him instead of Jacob this year. Another player I would have liked us to go after would have been Isaiah Hartenstein. I think he is a C and we would have needed to keep potel as he is more of a risk. There are still good Cs out there if you are willing to look.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone with the skillset of Lyles, but a better ability to actually utilize it, would be an ideal fit at starting 4. Low usage, adequate shooting from 3, fluid enough on the perimeter to stay in front of opposing 4s and at least slow down smalls, decent rebounding. Lyles himself just hasn't been able to put it together. He will get some chances this season and I hope he shows some improvement. His horrible preseason showing doesn't necessarily predict his entire season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone with the skillset of Lyles, but a better ability to actually utilize it, would be an ideal fit at starting 4. Low usage, adequate shooting from 3, fluid enough on the perimeter to stay in front of opposing 4s and at least slow down smalls, decent rebounding. Lyles himself just hasn't been able to put it together. He will get some chances this season and I hope he shows some improvement. His horrible preseason showing doesn't necessarily predict his entire season.
    Sounds like Keita Bates Diop

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to view Collins as more of a C now than a PF. Lauri is even more of a stiff than Collins, so he's definitely a C.

If a PF is the target and Keldon isn't the long-term solution for it, then they need to find a Siakam-prototype PF - lanky, very quick, and can shoot.

I wouldn't mind Collins... he would spell Aldridge's scoring from the C position but it would move Poetl as a bench big permanently. Unless we trade Poetl to the Hawks as part of a sign and trade.
    Neither are perfect but, I think either will work beside Poeltl in a SL as well as playing C in small ball lineups. We are good enough defending the backcourt and Poeltl defends the rim and moves well enough to cover any lateral quickness issues Lauri or Collins have and on the offensive end either provide spacing. To me the biggest question is $$. We know Collins wants the max (I don't see it myself) and we know the Bulls and Lauri were $4M apart per season but we don't know what those numbers were. In a vacuum I like Collins better but not enough to pay him appreciably more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither are perfect but, I think either will work beside Poeltl in a SL as well as playing C in small ball lineups. We are good enough defending the backcourt and Poeltl defends the rim and moves well enough to cover any lateral quickness issues Lauri or Collins have and on the offensive end either provide spacing. To me the biggest question is $$. We know Collins wants the max (I don't see it myself) and we know the Bulls and Lauri were $4M apart per season but we don't know what those numbers were. In a vacuum I like Collins better but not enough to pay him appreciably more.
    Sadly, I'm not confident anymore that we're in play to sign a max contract player next offseason... see the thread I just created led, "PIE CHARTS...".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but he would have to be stronger, more athletic and a more consistent shooter. Jeramie Grant type. Somebody with some shotblocking ability. Lyles just doesn't have that in his game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a sus pic Doesnt help they’re playing footsies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's awesome. Good for him.

Thread Information