Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically Kentucky has a terrible track record with players who improve themselves in the NBA, at least in the Calipari era. They're often very talented -- talented in high school, then barely improve in their one year in college, then have no idea how to get better in the pros. Tyler Herro is a good example. He's completely cratered after some initial success. Coach Cal doesn't teach them a goddamn thing.

I hope Keldon is different. This is probably the first coaching he's ever recieved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically Kentucky has a terrible track record with players who improve themselves in the NBA, at least in the Calipari era. They're often very talented -- talented in high school, then barely improve in their one year in college, then have no idea how to get better in the pros. Tyler Herro is a good example. He's completely cratered after some initial success. Coach Cal doesn't teach them a goddamn thing.

I hope Keldon is different. This is probably the first coaching he's ever recieved.
    Booker scored 10ppg at UK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booker scored 10ppg at UK.
    Okay? er still doesn't know how to win basketball games. None of them do. Bledsoe, Wall, Cousins, , LeBron had to drag Davis kicking and screaming into postseason victories. They're each fundamentally the same befuddled talents they were in college. Not a single one of them has any grit to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only Calipari minion I have any respect for in developing any ability to make other players better and dig deep to win against adversity is Derrick Rose. And he's still not that good.

EDIT: Jamal Murray, although he's started to struggle. But he's been a player who I think completely ignored Calipari and did his own thing. He's like an anti-Kentucky player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only Calipari minion I have any respect for in developing any ability to make other players better and dig deep to win against adversity is Derrick Rose. And he's still not that good.

EDIT: Jamal Murray, although he's started to struggle. But he's been a player who I think completely ignored Calipari and did his own thing. He's like an anti-Kentucky player.
    Thoughts on Bam and SGA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thoughts on Bam and SGA?
    What have they won? Are we seeing guys who can dig in when their natural talent isn't getting things done? That's what great players can do. DRob, Olajuwon, Jordan, Garnett, any of those guys. Games when nothing's working, you gotta grind. You gotta raise your teammates. You gotta find a way. Barely any of the Calipari players have any clue how to do this. They're just fancy dans running around with a basketball. Great at running downhill. Suck when things go south. Clueless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bam and SGA are 23 and 22, and both look great. I love D Rob, but c'mon-- he didn't win a championship until he was 33 and had Timmy as a teammate. Before that, his rep with non-spur fans wasn't exactly that of a unflappable grit guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good choice, article says he still practices there in the offseason... Otherwise I'd be suggesting he should buy a second one and keep it for himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bam and SGA are 23 and 22, and both look great. I love D Rob, but c'mon-- he didn't win a championship until he was 33 and had Timmy as a teammate. Before that, his rep with non-spur fans wasn't exactly that of a unflappable grit guy.
    it didnt help when he said his favorite movie was the little mermaid,tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still thing that Keldon, if he puts in the work can turn into a Middelton type of player. Middleton is in no WAY is an atheltic player, but he extremly strong and has an high IQ. Similar to Keldon. But Kj is a little bit more atheltic, and has bounce in his game, but he has strength to move players. There is still alot of work to be down, 3pts shooting,mid-ramge,1-1 defense and team defense.

I see a hybrid of Giannis and Middleton in him, he has the spped and strength to attack and go at guys close to the rim, but could develop the mid-point and 3pts of Middelton. No I don't think he'll be as good as Giannis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Keldon puts the work in he's going to be special. Teams learned to defend him last year so he'll need to keep expanding his offensive game to stay effective. Covid didn't help either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon needs to play SF/SG and not PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs forward Keldon Johnson has been named to the 2021 USA Basketball Select Team Roster. The team will train with the US Men's Olympic team in preparation for the Toyko games. KJ averaged nearly 13 pts and 6 rebs per game in second season in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at our boy, Spurs Talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Keldon will give them a run for their money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs forward Keldon Johnson has been named to the 2021 USA Basketball Select Team Roster. The team will train with the US Men's Olympic team in preparation for the Toyko games. KJ averaged nearly 13 pts and 6 rebs per game in second season in San Antonio.
    Man, that's great. Not only the scrimmages, but the whole experience, travel (anyone know where will the scrimmages be held? In any case, all the players will still go there together), bonding with the rest of the league's budding stars. It can be a great learning experience for someone with open eyes&ears and a hunger to get better like Keldon.

On a related tangent, does anyone else feel like Keldon's rise has been.... Muted, somehow? Maybe because of the pandemic and all that's been going on, but you take a step back.... This guy was a 29th pick, and in his second year (his first NBA year even, after spending the entire first season in a different, lower league!), has already been selected to the NBA Rising Stars game (that sadly didn't take place due to COVID), and now selected to the USA Select Team roster. These aren't small feats by any stretch, especially for a non-lottery pick, and yet I'm not seeing nor hearing any kind of buzz towards it. Most of the league probably doesn't even recognize Keldon. I guess the "small market curse" plays a part as well, but idk... He's really, actually, on a path to s om, at least the beginnings of it. Wild to think about.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, that's great. Not only the scrimmages, but the whole experience, travel (anyone know where will the scrimmages be held? In any case, all the players will still go there together), bonding with the rest of the league's budding stars. It can be a great learning experience for someone with open eyes&ears and a hunger to get better like Keldon.

On a related tangent, does anyone else feel like Keldon's rise has been.... Muted, somehow? Maybe because of the pandemic and all that's been going on, but you take a step back.... This guy was a 29th pick, and in his second year (his first NBA year even, after spending the entire first season in a different, lower league!), has already been selected to the NBA Rising Stars game (that sadly didn't take place due to COVID), and now selected to the USA Select Team roster. These aren't small feats by any stretch, especially for a non-lottery pick, and yet I'm not seeing nor hearing any kind of buzz towards it. Most of the league probably doesn't even recognize Keldon. I guess the "small market curse" plays a part as well, but idk... He's really, actually, on a path to s om, at least the beginnings of it. Wild to think about.
    I think his lack of reliable outside shooting helped teams scout him after his initial success this year. If he can shoot the 3, then I think his steam rolling drives to the rim will return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

....and FAR from a finished product

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s solid!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dribbling and an inbetween game. Dont make it complicated, Keldon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My only concern is it takes him away from Spurs trainers to work on his mid-games, maybe some postups drills to backdown smaller SF, if they slide him to SF which I think they should.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m Happy for Keldon.

hopefully he plays well and most importantly doesn’t get hurt. He needs to keep working on his shooting from mid range and 3. Also tighten up his ball handling and bit more focused when he is off the ball on defense.

I like that he is kinda under the radar as far as main stream media wise. True basketball fans and the actual league knows about him and if he keeps improving the casuals will also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think his lack of reliable outside shooting helped teams scout him after his initial success this year. If he can shoot the 3, then I think his steam rolling drives to the rim will return.
    Yeah for sure, not to mention the sore lack of reliable outside shooting anywhere near our roster. Guy was having to start at PF 'cause we don't have size to put around him, and was playing alongside one of the most negative-spacing players in the league at best, also out of position. I like last years' roster in terms of personalities, but for sure some changes need to be made for it to be viable and compe ive in 2021-22. The fact that the Spurs won as many games as they did and almost got into the POs is amazing on its own.

I think at this point, every young player in the league is being told to first and foremost practice 3s. It is what it is. So I'm definitely hoping/expecting improvement there, but yeah, I'd like to see his game expand in other areas as well.

My only concern is it takes him away from Spurs trainers to work on his mid-games, maybe some postups drills to backdown smaller SF, if they slide him to SF which I think they should.
    Yep, these are things I'd love for him to work on; and as Dejounte says, an in-between game too. We're seeing these playoffs (as if it weren't obvious already) that the midrange is far from dead, and when points are hard to come by and outside shots ain't falling, you need other tools. I'm also hoping the Spurs don't slot Keldon as permanent PF, as his size advantage is completely nullified at that position; and post-up moves on wings are really useful for quick, easy baskets.

The thing I'm most wanting to see Keldon develop is a faking game. He's so easy to read when he's going to the basket... He's usually still unstoppable, he's just that good, but learning to stop on a dime, fake layups in traffic, the up-and-under, and a couple post moves with his back to the basket, would make his life SO much easier, not to mention allow him to get fed in the post if he's positioned there, instead of always having to start his scoring outputs with a perimeter drive, à-la-Giannis. Even Giannis gets tired of that, it's hard work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ESPN has a stranglehold on the NBA at this point, and their coverage of sports gets worse and worse. They don't give a about basketball itself, only pushing their favored narratives. Silver won't do about it, and I think the Mouse is pissed the Spurs didn't steer Kawhi over to the Lakers like they wanted them to.

Thread Information