Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would you put Keldon in the 2019 draft order if that draft were to be reset today?

My list would probably be like this...1 thru 10:

1. Ja Morant - 2nd pick in draft
    2. Zion Williamson - 1st pick
    3. RJ Barrett - 3rd pick
    4. Keldon Johnson - 29th pick
    5. Tyler Herro - 13th pick
    6. Brandon Clarke - 21st pick
    7. DeAndre Hunter - 4th pick
    8. Cam Reddish - 10th pick
    9. Darius Bazley - 23rd pick
    10. PJ Washington - 12th pick

I don't know how even a non-Spurs homer would leave him out of the top ten. Not a bad consolation prize in losing Kawhi.
    Zion

Morant

Hunter
    Keldon
    Rui

Herro
    Barrett
    Bazley
    Cam
    PJ
    Thybulle
    Reddish

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With as much success as the Spurs have had at the end of the first round, I'm surprised they didn't trade down from the Vassell/Samanic/Walker picks. I know a dime is worth more than two nickels in this sense, but the Spurs have proven to be very good at player development and having an extra bite at the apple could be immensely valuable.

Counterarguments include the fact that maybe the Spurs did try to trade down and weren't successful, and that there is a such thing as too many rookie contracts/young players on the roster (can't play or pay them all).
    With the Walker pick, I remember the Spurs at the time said that Lonnie was by far the best prospect on their board at their pick, and they took him without hesitation since he was rumored to go in the lottery before his knee injury close to the draft. With regards to the Luka pick, it's the most debatable one of the three I'd guess (and posters here will never shut up about it, unless Luka makes an All-Star team or something), but a post-draft writeup by timvp indicates the Spurs strongly liked Sammich and didn't think he'd be there at 29. With Vassell, he was rumored to be Boston-bound if he dropped to #14, so there wasn't a lot of margin for negotiation if the Spurs wanted to draft Devin (and even then, they ran out the clock on draft day, presumably on the phone with other teams).

There just isn't much room to maneuver if you're certain that you want a specific prospect. Cases like Tatum's drafting, where Boston was able to both trade down AND get their guy, are the exception and not the rule - and the fact that, in basketball, a dime can be worth much, much more than two nickels also contribute to this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    herro keldon swap places
    pj higher, probably 7th

id change cam reddish for coby white

damn this draft was pretty good tbh
    I don't know, man. My quick glance is that Herro hasn't shown much so far this year and that it would be a joke if he was the core asset that the Rockets trade for if there was a trade between them and the Heat for Harden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would you put Keldon in the 2019 draft order if that draft were to be reset today?

My list would probably be like this...1 thru 10:

1. Ja Morant - 2nd pick in draft
    2. Zion Williamson - 1st pick
    3. RJ Barrett - 3rd pick
    4. Keldon Johnson - 29th pick
    5. Tyler Herro - 13th pick
    6. Brandon Clarke - 21st pick
    7. DeAndre Hunter - 4th pick
    8. Cam Reddish - 10th pick
    9. Darius Bazley - 23rd pick
    10. PJ Washington - 12th pick

I don't know how even a non-Spurs homer would leave him out of the top ten. Not a bad consolation prize in losing Kawhi.
    That's close to how I'd put it. I'd keep Zion 1 and put Morant 2. And then the next tier is Barrett, Johnson, Herro, Hunter ... maybe Garland, Bazley and Rui depending on how you want to value scoring on bad teams. Clarke could have an argument for the same tier but he's off to a slow start after getting benched in the bubble last year in favor of the corpse of Anthony Tolliver -- so he's questionable. Probably for now Clarke should stay on a tier with Washington, Reddish, Culver, Cam Johnson and White, which would be above a tier consisting of Thybulle, Grant Williams, Goga and Paschall.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot about Horton-Tucker. I'd have him replace Paschall, but would still leave Culver, Hayes, Hachimura and Langford outside of the lottery.

I'd comfortably pick Johnson third though. Barrett has DeRozan (aka empty calories) written all over him, Herro and Garland will probably always be defensive liabilities and Hunter probably always limited offensively.
    Last edited by TD 21; 01-07-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Walker pick, I remember the Spurs at the time said that Lonnie was by far the best prospect on their board at their pick, and they took him without hesitation since he was rumored to go in the lottery before his knee injury close to the draft. With regards to the Luka pick, it's the most debatable one of the three I'd guess (and posters here will never shut up about it, unless Luka makes an All-Star team or something), but a post-draft writeup by timvp indicates the Spurs strongly liked Sammich and didn't think he'd be there at 29. With Vassell, he was rumored to be Boston-bound if he dropped to #14, so there wasn't a lot of margin for negotiation if the Spurs wanted to draft Devin (and even then, they ran out the clock on draft day, presumably on the phone with other teams).

There just isn't much room to maneuver if you're certain that you want a specific prospect. Cases like Tatum's drafting, where Boston was able to both trade down AND get their guy, are the exception and not the rule - and the fact that, in basketball, a dime can be worth much, much more than two nickels also contribute to this.
    You're right, the Spurs being really high on a guy they have the opportunity to take is another reason not to trade down, especially if they don't have multiple highly coveted targets that are likely to be available with the later picks.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know, man. My quick glance is that Herro hasn't shown much so far this year and that it would be a joke if he was the core asset that the Rockets trade for if there was a trade between them and the Heat for Harden.
    truu but i doubt that houston would be more intrested in a package around keldon than herro. and imo herro showed more value than KJ at least for now. but both of them have a great potential (still not fully unleashed). this and next year should show us whos better. i hope it will be keldon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Keldon featured in Zach Lowe article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Keldon featured in Zach Lowe article
    Isn't this the second Lowe article featuring Keldon in like, a month? Damn. It's to be expected though, that analysts will be the first ones to catch on to Keldon's magic.... The casual public will soon follow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well alrighty then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hope this closes the book on who is taller between KJ and DV. Look at their shoulder height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hope this closes the book on who is taller between KJ and DV. Look at their shoulder height.
    looks about the same shoulder height, keldon may have the edge but devin probably has a bigger neck as stated multiple times on the forum. they are probably the same exact height. Both are listed at 6' 5" on the spurs too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks about the same shoulder height, keldon may have the edge but devin probably has a bigger neck as stated multiple times on the forum. they are probably the same exact height. Both are listed at 6' 5" on the spurs too.
    If both are 6'5", then Lonnie is 6'3" or 6'2". You can't have both ways. Whoever listed them as 6'5" weren't doing their jobs correctly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If both are 6'5", then Lonnie is 6'3" or 6'2". You can't have both ways. Whoever listed them as 6'5" weren't doing their jobs correctly.

lol. I agree that Lonnie is probably not 6' 5". I believe he is closer to 6'4". With Lonnie I really think he is constantly slouching even when he doesn't look it. But then he can probably straighten every part of his body to eek out 6'4"+. I believe they are using his combine height which they may have needed to do their best to measure him with his hair and probably gave him .5" because of that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could just be having more swole shoulders giving them extra inch

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dude is a legit 6'6". But more importantly, he is built like a tank. I'd rather have a 6'6" tank at forward than a 6'7" or 6'8 string bean.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It really doesn't, tbh. They look pretty much the same to me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Lonnie at Walmart on De Zavala a week after we drafted him. He was in front at the self checkout line. I'm an even 6 foot barefoot. He is definitely 6'4. Hair be damned

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really doesn't, tbh. They look pretty much the same to me.
    exactly.

It doesn’t really help finding out their height because they aren’t standing up straight and they aren’t even side by side. Keldon is a little further in front of Devin in the 2nd photo if you look at the footing placement.

lmao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon Charles Barkey ing Johnson. That's all I have to say

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count