My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After wondering why Wemby is wearing #1 and finding this...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LFjPn_ZxYnA7D3

...I was wondering if there are explanations for other Spurs great jersey numbers like #50, #21, #32, #20 and so on.

Does anyone know a good source or has good stories regarding this topic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

...I was wondering if there are explanations for other Spurs great jersey numbers like #50, #21, #32, #20 and so on.

Sometimes, it’s as boring as that was the number they always wore. Manu actually wanted 6, and I think he had it at his press conference, and wasn’t retired at the time, and Spurs nation had a fit. If only they knew what was to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson ... Navy ... Pearl Harbor ... Hawaii ... 5-0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well after doing some more searching, I found out, that he chose #50 because Ralph Sampson was his Idol.

Btw...no Spur but Dirk wanted #14 because Barkley wore it with the dream team...and in Fiba/Germany 4-15 have been comon (as 1-3 are to important for the refs in regards of scored points)...in Dallas Robert Pack had #14 so Dirk hat to flip the digits.
    Last edited by mudyez; 10-25-2023 at 07:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes, it’s as boring as that was the number they always wore. Manu actually wanted 6, and I think he had it at his press conference, and wasn’t retired at the time, and Spurs nation had a fit. If only they knew what was to come.
    Nice...apparently Avery was the reason, he couldn't have #6 with #10 being his second choice...Speedy already had #10 so Manu wanted to be easy going and "#20 looks nice too".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Answering my own question here, but want to share the stuff I found.

"As it turns out, Duncan's brother-in-law, Ricky Lowery, not only inspired Duncan to wear the number but to pursue basketball in the first place. Lowery played point guard in college, wearing the number 21 at the time. Thanks to some encouragement by Lowery and heavy recruiting by Wake Forest, Tim eventually found himself in San Antonio years later."

https://airalamo.com/posts/san-anton...y-numbers-21-1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we all know why Kirilenko chose his number

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well after doing some more searching, I found out, that he chose #50 because Ralph Sampson was his Idol.

Btw...no Spur but Dirk wanted #14 because Barkley wore it with the dream team...and in Fiba/Germany 4-15 have been comon (as 1-3 are to important for the refs in regards of scored points)...in Dallas Robert Pack had #14 so Dirk hat to flip the digits.
    I knew about Dirk switching from 14 to 41, it was one of the reasons I took 31 instead of 13 back then...

Started playing with 13 (born on the first of march, Kalle Riedle was my idol, scored three times in my first soccer match with the grown ups...) but had to select a new number after joining another team (and sport)...

Anyway, thanks for bringing up this topic and doing the research

Post Count

https://www.complex.com/sports/a/jos...-jersey-number

Manu Ginobili never really wanted to wear the No. 20. When he signed with the San Antonio Spurs on July 18, 2002, Manu originally received the No. 6. “The only two numbers I have ever worn in my career were No. 6 and No. 10. [The Spurs] originally gave me No. 6, but that was only one season after [former Spurs point guard] Avery Johnson had left the Spurs, and there was an outcry from the fans who supported Avery in San Antonio,” says Ginobili. What about No. 10? There was an issue with that choice as well since they gave Speedy Claxton that number a couple weeks earlier. What was Manu to do? Ginobili recalls, “I guess I thought that the No. 20 just looked good, so that’s what I took!”

Thread Information