Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i did not notice that POR cant trade 1st 2020, only 2021 draft, soo yeah now it makes more sense for POR.
    Portland isn't bound by the Stepian Rule, they drafted Nasir Little last season. They have their firsts going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hood and Ariza wouldn’t be gutting their depth at all. They have Little there ready for a bigger role and Melo. Not to mention Ariza/Hood suck.So between guys on their roster needing bigger roles and MLE to replace some depth, no question they improve their team.
    It would on the wings and they'd have limited flexibility to replace them. Good luck getting serviceable 2-way wing play for cheaper or contending without it.

Little can't shoot and a lineup featuring him and Nurkic would be spacing deficient around their big 3. Also, Aldridge can't defend "PF's" anymore and Anthony can't defend "SF's".
    Last edited by TD 21; 06-09-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are many teams that could use LMA where trades are conceivable. POR makes a ton of sense because there already seems to be more than mutual interest between the two star players and a history and environment (Lillard getting PAID & POR needing to advance).

But the real question is going to be what is SA planning to do? If Pop sticks around then it seems highly unlikely they will change course? If Pop didn’t want this last season to be a rebuild for his last year, why would he want his real last year to be a rebuild?

Spurs have shown a stunning lack of direction and cohesiveness and creativity so I am not holding my breath on them working deals.
    You grossly exaggerate LMA's value. The Cavs wouldn't even give up a late first rounder for him and now he's two years older, with a balky shoulder. Portland won't give up squat to get him and they probably wouldn't have to either. Pop will accept whatever crap the Blazers would be willing to part with because he doesn't like to be confrontational. That would be worse than keeping his sulky ass in San Antonio another year which is what they should have done with Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/why-lamarc...trade-win-win/

The Gist: Spurs get future assets, Portland Gets Aldridge and Aldridge gets to finish his career in Portland.
    I got roasted when I advocated trading LA for Nurkic + Al-Farouq Aminu a couple of summers ago.

Having said that, it might be a good trade for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They cannot afford another year of not making a real push.
    This is my thought. Known of them have time to dawdle. Now would be the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got roasted when I advocated trading LA for Nurkic + Al-Farouq Aminu a couple of summers ago.

Having said that, it might be a good trade for us.
    That may have been more related to timing. Aldridge was coming off his best season then, it might've seemed like the Spurs were selling low. Nurkic, when healthy is a good asset. Aldridge is 10 years older and still better but swapping the two now would make a lot more sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland wants to sign him for free, not trade valuable assets for him
    great deal but portland will probably wait and sign him as a FA
    Problem is that Portland can't really afford to wait. They have a really good player who shows interest in joining their team and their best player apparently wants to play with him again.

Their a small market team with a couple of stars in their late 20's. Now's the time for them to make a push towards contention, not wait until after next season and hope he is still interested and hasn't fallen off.

They cannot afford another year of not making a real push.
    Agreed. They went from the WCF to, likely, not making the playoffs. That probably isn't going to sit well with Lillard. They'll probably going to need to do something big sooner rather than later or risk Lillard and or CJ eventually wanting out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That may have been more related to timing. Aldridge was coming off his best season then, it might've seemed like the Spurs were selling low. Nurkic, when healthy is a good asset. Aldridge is 10 years older and still better but swapping the two now would make a lot more sense.
    Sorry, not after his best season but after the season where he asked to be traded, sorry texted Damian and asked if Portland can trade for him. Portland fans had given up on Nurkic and even though he was a very friendly contract; 10mi a year or something close to that, they were ready to trade him. My reasoning at the time was with LA gone we are more likely to keep Kawhi and if not we are ready for a rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're going about this all wrong, if Dame and LMA want to play together again, bring Dame to SA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an alternate one: Aldridge for Hood, Hezonja and the 14th (or if they sneak in, 15th-17th).

Hood is projected to return from his torn Achilles by the start of next season. Obviously, he won't be 100% and the deal is primarily about the pick, but he'd fill a short term need (though erratic, a proven wing shooter/scorer) and if his return is similar to Gay's, he could probably fetch 2 2nd's by the trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean spurs would actually do something to benefit the team? shocker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're going about this all wrong, if Dame and LMA want to play together again, bring Dame to SA.
    Unloading DD would be great. But who else has to go?
    DJ, Walker IV and White?
    I don't like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an alternate one: Aldridge for Hood, Hezonja and the 14th (or if they sneak in, 15th-17th).

Hood is projected to return from his torn Achilles by the start of next season. Obviously, he won't be 100% and the deal is primarily about the pick, but he'd fill a short term need (though erratic, a proven wing shooter/scorer) and if his return is similar to Gay's, he could probably fetch 2 2nd's by the trade deadline.
    Nurk or Ariza would have to included to make the math work on a trade.

If Portland won't give up Nurk, then Collins and Ariza would need to be subbed in to make the math work/ keep their team salary down ( either way the shouldn't be a tax-paying team though).

It would leave Portland with a hole at SF but they didn't have an issue with entering this season without one. I think they'll try and address their issues in the draft. Dame, CJ, Nurk and Aldridge is too talented a core to pass up for the relative low cost of Collins and a late first.

I do agree that Hood and even Ariza could be flipped for second's by next deadline, that would be a perk of acquiring them in a trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nurk or Ariza would have to included to make the math work on a trade.

If Portland won't give up Nurk, then Collins and Ariza would need to be subbed in to make the math work/ keep their team salary down ( either way the shouldn't be a tax-paying team though).

It would leave Portland with a hole at SF but they didn't have an issue with entering this season without one. I think they'll try and address their issues in the draft. Dame, CJ, Nurk and Aldridge is too talented a core to pass up for the relative low cost of Collins and a late first.

I do agree that Hood and even Ariza could be flipped for second's by next deadline, that would be a perk of acquiring them in a trade.
    It depends on the cap. Right now, the Trail Blazers are projected to be about $16 million under it, which is the difference between Aldridge's '20-'21 salary and the combined total of Hood's and Hezonja's.

They quickly moved to attempt to shore up "SF" though and Ariza played well (unsustainably so, granted). In free agency, they'd likely be left with lesser options like Harkless again, Carroll or Robinson.

They've always been high on Collins and given that he's a theoretical fit next to Aldridge and unlikely to break the bank, I doubt they'd move him.

Different cir stances/players, but the Pistons supposedly couldn't get an asset for Drummond (other than cap space) and the Cavaliers can't get one for Love, so it's unlikely Aldridge fetches multiple ones.

Also, the Spurs are an easy mark, who'll likely be more concerned with "doing right by" Aldridge than maximizing value.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on the cap. Right now, the Trail Blazers are projected to be about $16 million under it, which is the difference between Aldridge's '20-'21 salary and the combined total of Hood's and Hezonja's.

They quickly moved to attempt to shore up "SF" though and Ariza played well (unsustainably so, granted). In free agency, they'd likely be left with lesser options like Harkless again, Carroll or Robinson.

They've always been high on Collins and given that he's a theoretical fit next to Aldridge and unlikely to break the bank, I doubt they'd move him.

Different cir stances/players, but the Pistons supposedly couldn't get an asset for Drummond (other than cap space) and the Cavaliers can't get one for Love, so it's unlikely Aldridge fetches multiple ones.

Also, the Spurs are an easy mark, who'll likely be more concerned with "doing right by" Aldridge than maximizing value.
    Drummond cant shoot and still had a PO so it was a 2 yr contract. Love I think has 3. Both of these are also considered overpaid. LMA only will ave one left and is not considered overpaid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all empty talk.

Portland won't go for any type of a deal involving a '21 pick and the Spurs won't accept anything less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after how well that worked out for Aldridge? Dame ain't leaving Portland for SA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond cant shoot and still had a PO so it was a 2 yr contract. Love I think has 3. Both of these are also considered overpaid. LMA only will ave one left and is not considered overpaid.
    Hence why I said different cir stances/players. The point was, Aldridge is definitely worth a solid asset, but probably not multiple ones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was operating under the assumption that the cap for next season will be around $105 million (previously, it was projected to be $115 million but it looks it will drop by around $10 million).

They'd be able to fit Aldridge in with Nurkic Cj Dame and their lottery pick plus the remaining players in the roster all while staying just under the presumed luxury tax.

Drummond had half a season left on his deal, Love is overpaid on a long-term deal with injury concerns. Aldridge has a full season remaining, has largely been healthy for his career (season ending injury not withstanding) and he's better than both.

Portland could very well like Collins but if it came down to it, I think they'd move him in order to get Aldridge. He not only puts them back in contention but it would also appease Lillard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think Portland would do Nurkic/Ariza/14th pick for LMA. Doubt they would do Nurkic/Hood/Collins/14th pick for LMA. I think they prefer hood over ariza and just makes sense to move ariza’s contract money wise. And they like Collins too much and wouldn’t want to move him. I think the foundation of the deal for SA is Nurkic and 14th pick. If the deal doesn’t include that then should probably just walk away.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    click on the link for clicks

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    la is an sa treasure

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was operating under the assumption that the cap for next season will be around $105 million (previously, it was projected to be $115 million but it looks it will drop by around $10 million).

They'd be able to fit Aldridge in with Nurkic Cj Dame and their lottery pick plus the remaining players in the roster all while staying just under the presumed luxury tax.

Drummond had half a season left on his deal, Love is overpaid on a long-term deal with injury concerns. Aldridge has a full season remaining, has largely been healthy for his career (season ending injury not withstanding) and he's better than both.

Portland could very well like Collins but if it came down to it, I think they'd move him in order to get Aldridge. He not only puts them back in contention but it would also appease Lillard.
    Well if that's the case, my proposal would obviously be moot.

Again, I get the differences. I'm not saying Aldridge's value is equal to theirs, I'm saying I don't think he's worth multiple assets to their zero.

One of Nurkic, Collins or the (projected) 14th pick would have to be the asset and I actually think Collins is the one they'd be least amendable to moving in this trade.

Nurkic or 14th (plus Ariza and Hood) is an interesting debate for the Spurs, but I'd lean towards the latter because it can be used as part of a vehicle to another trade or make it easier to part with a player in a trade because they could conceivably select a similar one to replace them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if LMA would be insulted if Portland didn't want him this coming year. Sure, the smart move by Portland would be too wait, but LMA is coming to grips with the fragility of the body in this game, no matter how powerful. Plus the end of a career is in sight for him anyway. He might think Portland shouldn't overlook him this year, if they really want him.

Who knows? We can all spin scenarios but so many things come into play with the business side of this damn game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would do any combination of Nurkic or Collins and the 14th pick for Aldridge. Whoever you have to throw in to make the money work. Dame is turning 30 and I would think it behooves them to make him happy by bringing Aldridge in. His contract ends after next season, right? I would think Portland doesn't want to risk it.

Thread Information