Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Anyone watch this yet?

I thought it was pretty good. But I'm not sure that it was as unbiased as the Lance Armstrong film.

It kind of makes it seem like his eventual success came from determination alone. While it mentions his dad's (and his own) acting success in China, it doesn't point to that being particularly important in the rest of his life. It kind of seems like he was a semi rich kid who was able to come over to the U.S. and persist long enough to make it. Not saying he wasn't special in terms of skill and determination but I wonder if he didn't have a head start in that his family could give him whatever support he needed. Not sure about that but just wondering.

Also, they threw in once comment, "he could be an asshole at times". But they never interview anyone that talks about his bad side really.

The credits mention that his family's foundation provided a lot of the footage so I'm guessing they had a lot of control in what was ultimately shown.

Anyway, it was still enjoyable.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I liked it, will probably watch it again.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Have watched doc footage on him in the past. The dude was beast mode, not just hype.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He had Hollywood connections because he lived out there and was known as the best instructor in the business. They all wanted to be taught by him and he didn't take on many students. He was a philosopher and back then people were doing some good drugs and needed someone to guide them spiritually. Be water, my friend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Better than Kareem tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll add that it's kind of weird that Chuck Norris wasn't interviewed at all.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    IIRC The knock on him is that his tournament resume was not that impressive?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So...does ESPN+ have the full 30 for 30 Library?

If so, it might be worth a sub for a few months.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    edit

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i got a kick out of it

but nah, i havent watched it yet

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I'll add that it's kind of weird that Chuck Norris wasn't interviewed at all.
    Prettu sure it's cause he's a chud.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    So...does ESPN+ have the full 30 for 30 Library?

If so, it might be worth a sub for a few months.
    Yes. Though, a lot of that is sanitized history anyhow.

I'd get it for the increased international soccer games; but there is none right now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Prettu sure it's cause he's a chud.
    Maybe so. But it's always interesting to me to hear the takes of a contemporary and semi/rival. I never saw that they disliked each other so it seems like the producers would have reached out. I think it would have been pretty informative.
    Again, it was a good doc but I don't remember an interview with anyone that had any negative comments toward Lee. Other than the one I mentioned above. Imo, it's a tell-tale sign that you're not getting both sides of the story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    I remember taking brazilian jiu-jitsu in elementary and excelling at it very quickly. My first week I put a yellow belt kesa gatame and made him tap...all the kids kept calling me bruce leeroy lol. I hated it but once I found out who bruce lee was I became a fan. Dude is def an inspiration and I look forward to watching this do entary. RIP.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I remember taking brazilian jiu-jitsu in elementary and excelling at it very quickly. My first week I put a yellow belt kesa gatame and made him tap...all the kids kept calling me bruce leeroy lol. I hated it but once I found out who bruce lee was I became a fan. Dude is def an inspiration and I look forward to watching this do entary. RIP.
    One thing the doc did was make me think about watching two movies that I've often thought about watching. Enter the Dragon and The Great Escape.

30 for 30 has gotten so weak. Now that the subjects of the do entaries are usually the ones producing them, they’re always super shallow and kiss-assy. The first couple volumes were great, but once Bill Simmons left, they got progressively tier.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    30 for 30 has gotten so weak. Now that the subjects of the do entaries are usually the ones producing them, they’re always super shallow and kiss-assy. The first couple volumes were great, but once Bill Simmons left, they got progressively tier.

The absolute best one is the June 1994 one. That's one of my favorite docs of all time.

The absolute best one is the June 1994 one. That's one of my favorite docs of all time.
    Oh yeah, that one is fantastic there’s tons of great 30 for 30’s, but they’ve gotten to the point where they’re doing “The Dwyane Wade Story, written produced & directed by Dwyane Wade” and that’s such an insult to the audience

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh yeah, that one is fantastic there’s tons of great 30 for 30’s, but they’ve gotten to the point where they’re doing “The Dwyane Wade Story, written produced & directed by Dwyane Wade” and that’s such an insult to the audience
    That dude like just retired. LOL.

Sounds like they're just bas izing the name now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

Who knows the Hollywood Legend of the 'Crow film'

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    He's still alive and working undercover for the Hong Kong police tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

That Joker scene with the mob in the Dark Knight was clearly inspired by a scene from the Crow

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I saw it but don’t remember anything other than it having a great soundtrack.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He's still alive and working undercover for the Hong Kong police tbh
    lol

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I saw it but don’t remember anything other than it having a great soundtrack.
    bangin away on Darla

Thread Information