San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now WSU. how will the PAC-12 react?

#WeAreUnited

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefo...injustice.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To ensure future generations of college athletes will be treated fairly, #WeAreUnited.

Because NCAA sports exploit college athletes physically, economically and academically, and also disproportionately harm Black college athletes, #WeAreUnited.

In rejecting the NCAA’s claim that #BlackLivesMatter while also systematically exploiting Black athletes nationwide, #WeAreUnited.

Because we are being asked to play college sports in a pandemic in a system without enforced health and safety standards, and without transparency about COVID cases on our teams, the risks to ourselves, our families, and our communities, #WeAreUnited.

Because we must have adequate COVID testing to help protect our health, #WeAreUnited.

Because we are prohibited from securing representation while being asked to sign do ents that may serve as liability waivers, #WeAreUnited.

Because we should not be stuck with sports-related medical expenses, including COVID-19 related expenses, #WeAreUnited.

Because any player who does not feel comfortable playing this season should be free to opt out without losing their scholarship or any eligibility, #WeAreUnited.

Because immoral rules would punish us for receiving basic necessities or compensation for the use of our names, images and likenesses, while many of us and our families are suffering economically from the COVID-19 fallout, #WeAreUnited.Because we should be included in equitably sharing the revenue our talents generate, especially in a pandemic, #WeAreUnited.

Because unjust rules prevent the 98% of college football and basketball players who won’t go pro from capitalizing economically on what would otherwise be the most valuable years of our lives, including many Black players from low-income homes, #WeAreUnited.

Because eliminating lavish salaries and facility expenditures to preserve all sports must be prioritized, #WeAreUnited.

Because the NCAA has failed us and we are prepared to ensure that our conference treats us fairly whether or not it continues its NCAA membership, #WeAreUnited.

In forming alliances with college athletes from other conferences to unite with us for change, #WeAreUnited.

#WeAreUnited in our commitment to secure fair treatment for college athletes. Due to COVID-19 and other serious concerns, we will opt-out of Pac-12 fall camp and game participation unless the following demands are guaranteed in writing by our conference to protect and benefit both scholarship athletes and walk-ons.

Pac-12 Football Unity Demands

To Protect and Benefit Both Scholarship and Walk-On Athletes

I. Health & Safety Protections

COVID-19 Protections

1. Allow option not to play during the pandemic without losing athletics eligibility or spot on our team’s roster.
    2. Prohibit/void COVID-19 agreements that waive liability.

Mandatory Safety Standards, Including COVID-19 Measures

1. Player-approved health and safety standards enforced by a third party selected by players to address COVID-19, as well as serious injury, abuse and death.

II. Protect All Sports

Preserve All Existing Sports by Eliminating Excessive Expenditures

1. Larry Scott, administrators, and coaches to voluntarily and drastically reduce excessive pay.
    2. End performance/academic bonuses.
    3. End lavish facility expenditures and use some endowment funds to preserve all sports.*

*As an example, Stanford University should reinstate all sports discontinued by tapping into their $27.7 billion endowment.
    III. End Racial Injustice in College Sports and Society

1. Form a permanent civic-engagement task force made up of our leaders, experts of our choice, and university and conference administrators to address outstanding issues such as racial injustice in college sports and in society.
    2. In partnership with the Pac-12, 2% of conference revenue would be directed by players to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives, and development programs for college athletes on each campus.
    3. Form annual Pac-12 Black College Athlete Summit with guaranteed representation of at least three athletes of our choice from every school.

IV. Economic Freedom and Equity

Guaranteed Medical Expense Coverage

1. Medical insurance selected by players for sports-related medical conditions, including COVID- 19 illness, to cover six years after college athletics eligibility ends.

Name, Image, and Likeness Rights & Representation

1. The freedom to secure representation, receive basic necessities from any third party, and earn money for use of our name, image, and likeness rights.

Fair Market Pay, Rights, & Freedoms

1. Distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.
    2. Six-year athletic scholarships to foster undergraduate and graduate degree completion.
    3. Elimination of all policies and practices restricting or deterring our freedom of speech, our ability to fully participate in charitable work, and our freedom to participate in campus activities outside of mandatory athletics participation.
    4. Ability of players of all sports to transfer one time without punishment, and additionally in cases of abuse or serious negligence.
    5. Ability to complete eligibility after participating in a pro draft if player goes undrafted and foregoes professional participation within seven days of the draft.
    6. Due process rights

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...ootball-season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletes esp can't risk C19 infection which damages lungs and hearts even in people with slight or no symptoms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletes esp can't risk C19 infection which damages lungs and hearts even in people with slight or no symptoms.
    It's way bigger than that. The NCAA needs to come correct about its football and basketball plantations and do right by its student/athletes, or get the out of the way.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's way bigger than that. The NCAA needs to come correct about its football and basketball plantations and do right by its student/athletes, or get the out of the way.
    The 5 top conferences might very well break away from the NCAA.
    Those would be very compe ive schools.
    Imo you will see college football become much more like minor league pro ball.
    Dont look for the kids to go to class much, and, dont be surprised that kids will not be well taken care of if they are injured.
    They wont be able to bargain with a powerful union if these very compe ive schools/conferences form their own "NCAA"

These kids wont be receiving big pensions if injured. They will be entering a profession at a very young age like in the baseball farming system. Thats good luck with finding that job when you dont make it. And the profession of football is a much more dangerous occupation. Feeding on unreachable dreams happens in a lot of entertainment professions. But in many, you dont get physically destroyed.

This has become a very fluid situation with the personal likeness $ for the stars, and now Covid and social changes.

Imo its not gonna end up good for the youngsters. As far as real college football... Anyone who cares might just have to find an Ivy League team to root for.
    Or a team not in the top 5 conferences.
    Should be interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont look for the kids to go to class much, and, dont be surprised that kids will not be well taken care of if they are injured.
    They wont be able to bargain with a powerful union if these very compe ive schools/conferences form their own "NCAA"

These kids wont be receiving big pensions if injured. They will be entering a profession at a very young age like in the baseball farming system. Thats good luck with finding that job when you dont make it.
    And the profession of football is a much more dangerous occupation. Feeding on unreachable dreams happens in a lot of entertainment professions. But in many, you dont get physically destroyed.

This has become a very fluid situation with the personal likeness $ for the stars, and now Covid and social changes.

Imo its not gonna end up good for the youngsters. As far as real college football... Anyone who cares might just have to find an Ivy League team to root for.
    Should be interesting.
    cool take.

wrt the bolded, what makes you think so?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

These kids wont be receiving big pensions if injured. They will be entering a profession at a very young age like in the baseball farming system. Thats good luck with finding that job when you dont make it. And the profession of football is a much more dangerous occupation. Feeding on unreachable dreams happens in a lot of entertainment professions. But in many, you dont get physically destroyed.

Should be interesting.
    They don't get pensions now (and old NFL players only get a pittance if anything and a bunch of denials about the risk of head trauma from the NFL until recently), only insurance if their families can afford to take it out for them. The NCAA has made billions and billions of dollars off their backs and they haven't received anything but a scholarship and whatever they can get on the side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't get pensions now (and old NFL players only get a pittance if anything and a bunch of denials about the risk of head trauma from the NFL until recently), only insurance if their families can afford to take it out for them. The NCAA has made billions and billions of dollars off their backs and they haven't received anything but a scholarship and whatever they can get on the side.
    Well then I stand corrected and thats even worse for the kids.
    Im not saying the NCAA has been a model organization, Im saying if you think the new regulating body for the top 5 conferences is going to take care of the kids better, that is not gonna happen. Except possibly the top kids that get a good agent to advertise for them.

If anything the new regulating organization that will have to be put in place will make less money, and the schools much, much more.

Imo of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 wrecked sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool take.

wrt the bolded, what makes you think so?
    This will also affect HS football imo. The recruiting will get much more vicious, the kids will get representation from an agent at HS age. They will be in summer football camps to find the best just like happens now, but now they will go to HS that emphasize they are a football HS. They are a magnet football school, not science, English, health careers, international studies.... Football.

So I think the academics at the HS level will also take a nosedive at football schools. They already do, but I think this will exacerbate the situation. I think the parents with dreams for their kids taking care of them with this big entertainment career because their kid is a stud in MS is going to be a mess. I see agents taking advantage of parents by pumping their kids up, then when the horse (kid) gets older and matures normally (ie does not turn into a physical monster), you got problems. He is way behind to deal with living a normal dull life that requires writing, reading, math skills, on and on...

I should not sound so sure of myself. But I can see the above happening, as it is already is to some degree already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 wrecked sports
    College football already had many problems.
    The above will possibly accelerate it.
    The NCAA really just gave up on the rule following that was asked for by the schools. Schools cheat, especially the SEC imo. The NCAA lost a lot of legal challenges and then just opted out and sat on their fat asses still making money. The big schools did not mind, as they themselves challenged harsh punishments by the NCAA for rule violations. And then accusations of letting one school break one rule, while another school got blasted for a weaker infraction that was enforceable.

Its a long sordid mess. That might get a lot worse for the kids.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There are only a handful of CFB teams that have a chance at a Championship every season. Majority of CFB fans don't watch for the players, they watch for their schools traditions. Meaning many won't care if the sport returns to amateurs and removes the uppity outspoken apples.

I support. Tired of mostly underserving "student-athletes" being the most pampered demographic on campus. Pay for your own criminal justice degree.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Thin skinned brats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MAC Conference calls off the football season

The Mid-American Conference has canceled its football season this fall because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, sources told Stadium.

The 12-member MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference opting not to play this fall. On Wednesday, UConn, an independent, became the first FBS school to announce it would not play this year. The MAC intends to try to play in the spring, sources said.

The MAC reached its decision Saturday morning in a vote by the league’s presidents, sources said. The conference presidents initially met Thursday to finalize the league’s scheduling format. However, Northern Illinois president Lisa Freeman, a former research scientist at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, indicated her school would not play this fall because of the health and safety concerns, sources said.

“The league didn’t like the look of NIU going out on their own and not playing,” said a source, explaining the MAC’s non-vote on Thursday.

The Huskies have made a league-record eight MAC le game appearances and won four of the last nine MAC les. After the league didn’t reach a decision Thursday, it voted Saturday not to play this fall, sources said.

Besides the health and safety concerns, the MAC was one of the leagues most impacted financially by the Power Five’s decision to eliminate or reduce non-conference games. The MAC had 11 games canceled against Big Ten members, costing MAC schools a combined $10.5 million. Bowling Green State lost $2.2 million, Central Michigan lost $2.15 million, Kent State lost $1.5 million and NIU lost $1.1 million.

After the Big Ten announced its conference-only format last month, Bowling Green State athletic director Bob Moosbrugger called the decision “the tip of the iceberg.
    https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac...on-08-08-2020/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ."It's not fair what we're doing to our coaches and student-athletes," one long-time Power Five AD said. "The sooner we can come to a finality, the better."

"I think it's inevitable [the season will not be played in the fall]," said another veteran Power Five AD.

Neither AD wished to be identified due to the sensitivity of the situation

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The SEC states that voted for Trash now have The Trash-Made Pandemic national disaster trashing their beloved football season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that player demand manifesto is ridiculous. NCAA will make some concessions like letting players market themselves, but 50% of revenue isn't happening. The players that "strike" , even superstars, will get their asses cut...there are thousands of other kids that want their spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The SEC states that voted for Trash now have The Trash-Made Pandemic national disaster trashing their beloved football season.
    yeah, nobody watches football in California or New York. Boutons, you really are a sad, bitter little prick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that player demand manifesto is ridiculous. NCAA will make some concessions like letting players market themselves, but 50% of revenue isn't happening. The players that "strike" , even superstars, will get their asses cut...there are thousands of other kids that want their spot.
    1000s of other (white) kids who weren't good enough to make it.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-09-2020 at 11:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1000s of other kids who weren't good enough to make it.
    So? The games will be just as compe ive and people will still watch them. The stupid ones that strike will lose their scholarships and will be ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your avuncular old man harrumphing is ridiculous. College football players don't give a about you and you don't give a about them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your avuncular old man harrumphing is ridiculous. College football players don't give a about you and you don't give a about them.
    Just watch what is going to happen. There will be a token compromise. The players that don't like it will be replaced. People will still buy tickets and watch TV to root for their school. Life will go on.

Thread Information