Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Palin leaves open option of war with Russia

FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska (AP) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin left open the option Thursday of waging war with Russia if it were to invade neighboring Georgia and the former Soviet republic were a NATO ally. "We will not repeat a Cold War," Palin said in her first television interview since becoming Republican John McCain's vice presidential running mate two weeks ago.

Palin told Charles Gibson of ABC News that she'd favor including Georgia and Ukraine, both former Soviet republics, in NATO despite opposition by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Asked whether the United States would have to go to war with Russia if it invaded Georgia, and the country was part of NATO, Palin said: "Perhaps so."

"I mean, that is the agreement when you are a NATO ally, is if another country is attacked, you're going to be expected to be called upon and help," she said.

Pressed on the question, Palin responded: "What I think is that smaller democratic countries that are invaded by a larger power is something for us to be vigilant against ... We have got to show the support, in this case, for Georgia. The support that we can show is economic sanctions perhaps against Russia, if this is what it leads to."

She added: "It doesn't have to lead to war and it doesn't have to lead, as I said, to a Cold War, but economic sanctions, diplomatic pressure, again, counting on our allies to help us do that in this mission of keeping our eye on Russia and Putin and some of his desire to control and to control much more than smaller democratic countries."

Palin spoke the same day Putin insisted that Russia has no intention of encroaching on the sovereignty of Georgia, following a brief war that left Russian troops in firm control of two breakaway regions. Putin also aggressively defended the decision to send troops to Georgia, saying Russia had to act after Georgia attacked South Ossetia last month.

On other matters, Palin said she "didn't hesitate" when McCain asked her to be his running mate, a surprise selection that shook up the presidential race.

"I answered him 'yes' because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink. So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate," said the 44-year-old Palin, who has been in office less than two years.

Questioned about whether she felt ready to step in as vice president or perhaps even president if something happened to the 72-year-old McCain, Palin said: "I do, Charlie, and on January 20, when John McCain and I are sworn in, if we are so privileged to be elected to serve this country, we'll be ready. I'm ready."

Gibson also read Palin a comment she made in her former church—"Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God"—and asked whether she thought the United States was fighting a holy war.

Palin said she was recalling Abraham Lincoln's words when she made the comment and said: "I would never presume to know God's will or to speak God's words."

She said she didn't know if her son Track who is headed to Iraq was on a mission from God.

"What I know is that my son has made a decision. I am so proud of his independent and strong decision he has made, what he decided to do and serving for the right reasons and serving something greater than himself and not choosing a real easy path where he could be more comfortable and certainly safer," Palin said.

Wow. Such a courageous woman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's ready to run the country because she didn't blink to instantly say yes when offered the job as Veep?

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    At least she answered the question instead of burying her head in her hands because liberals have booed her.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Must Break You!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is serious, guys. Russia is NOT pleased with us after the Georgia alliegance, the G8 comment and now this? This is definitely not a toy or empty threat at this point. The masses must know that war with Russia would devastate the entire world, while we still have conflicts in Iraq...

Be scared of any possibility at this point, likely? Likely not, but these are not comments that should be passed off... Scary stuff to consider.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    This is serious, guys. Russia is NOT pleased with us after the Georgia alliegance, the G8 comment and now this? This is definitely not a toy or empty threat at this point. The masses must know that war with Russia would devastate the entire world, while we still have conflicts in Iraq...

Be scared of any possibility at this point, likely? Likely not, but these are not comments that should be passed off... Scary stuff to consider.
    You're just a pussie.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The only thing Russians respect is if you put it back in their face. Clinton was a pussy wouldn't do it, but Ronald Regan did it. You saw what happened when a Republican president finished the job. No Berlin wall , all the Baltic states free. Even Georgia is free. That's why we need to take a tough stand on the Russian invasion. What ? did Putin think Georgia was going to invade Russia?

"We'll do it this time" Bartleby's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it really shows how afraid Putin is of Bush.

We are the Championship ggoose25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it really shows how afraid Putin is of Bush.
    But he would never hurt us, Bush saw into his soul!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is funny is I challenge you to find a quote by any other USA politician coming this close to actually saying "Yes we will go to war with Russia".

We all know the rules of NATO, the consequences of the different scenarios, etc, but has any politician ever actually come this close to saying what she said in this interview?

She has bigger balls that Hillary. And the right tore into Hillary for having balls. It all goes back to her having big nice s and a pretty face. Her looks are allowing her to keep on chugging on an empty tank.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    She doesn't have an "off limits" list!

Obama has the following off limits:

1. Certified Copy of original Birth certificate(see certificate controversy below)
    2. Columbia College records
    3. Columbia Thesis paper
    4. Campaign donor analysis requested by 7 major watchdog groups
    5. Harvard College records
    6. Illinois State Senate records
    7. Illinois State Senate schedule
    8. Law practice client list and billing records/summary
    9. Locations and names of all half-siblings and step-mothers
    10. Medical records (only the one page summary released so far)
    11. Occidental College records
    12. Parent's Marriage Certificate
    13. Record of baptism
    14. Selective Service Registration
    15. Trips schedules for trips outside of the United States before 2007
    16. Scholarly articles
    17. Access to his Grandmother
    18. List of all campaign workers that are lobbyists

Just try to find any of the above in a complete form.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The standard response is "We will keep all options on the table." Her coaches should have drilled that into her skull by now.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The standard response is "We will keep all options on the table." Her coaches should have drilled that into her skull by now.
    I guess yopu like it when you can predict what a politician will say.

I like her speaking her mind, instead of a canned reponse!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She doesn't have an "off limits" list!

Obama has the following off limits:

1. Certified Copy of original Birth certificate(see certificate controversy below)
    2. Columbia College records
    3. Columbia Thesis paper
    4. Campaign donor analysis requested by 7 major watchdog groups
    5. Harvard College records
    6. Illinois State Senate records
    7. Illinois State Senate schedule
    8. Law practice client list and billing records/summary
    9. Locations and names of all half-siblings and step-mothers
    10. Medical records (only the one page summary released so far)
    11. Occidental College records
    12. Parent's Marriage Certificate
    13. Record of baptism
    14. Selective Service Registration
    15. Trips schedules for trips outside of the United States before 2007
    16. Scholarly articles
    17. Access to his Grandmother
    18. List of all campaign workers that are lobbyists

Just try to find any of the above in a complete form.
    She should have had foreign policy off limits...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I like the fact that the more she speaks without a teleprompter in front of her the more obvious it is that she doesn't have a ing clue.

"Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    She should have had foreign policy off limits...

at "In what respect, Charlie?" Seriously, that's usually a pretty reliable stall tactic if you get caught blanking on a subject.

101A and company really nailed that whole "keeping the powder dry" theory on unleashing the Palin brilliance upon the world.

cram harder.

"Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    What is funny is I challenge you to find a quote by any other USA politician coming this close to actually saying "Yes we will go to war with Russia".

We all know the rules of NATO, the consequences of the different scenarios, etc, but has any politician ever actually come this close to saying what she said in this interview?

She has bigger balls that Hillary. And the right tore into Hillary for having balls. It all goes back to her having big nice s and a pretty face. Her looks are allowing her to keep on chugging on an empty tank.
    In her defense, the whole "if Georgia was a member of NATO" question is pretty much a "if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle" hypothetical.

...unless the Neocons running, er, advising McCain's foreign policy want to expand NATO to the WWI brink.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What has Palin been doing for 14 days? This cram-session for the last week, what has she been doing?

What an awful performance. She has no idea about one of the most basic and fundamental happenings in the last eight years. The Bush Doctrine? Really?

No doubt the wingnuts will gobble this stuff up. They don't want leadership, they want a freaking clown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you don't think she was coached and had some canned responses you are fooling yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In her defense, the whole "if Georgia was a member of NATO" question is pretty much a "if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle" hypothetical.

...unless the Neocons running, er, advising McCain's foreign policy want to expand NATO to the WWI brink.
    Good point. But its not an impossibility, there are some people pulling the strings that would like to see this happen.

Veteran ManuTim_best of Fwiendz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing Russians respect is if you put it back in their face. Clinton was a pussy wouldn't do it, but Ronald Regan did it. You saw what happened when a Republican president finished the job. No Berlin wall , all the Baltic states free. Even Georgia is free. That's why we need to take a tough stand on the Russian invasion.
    This is true. This is how we stood our ground on the Cold War in the first place. If we elect someone the rest of the world don't take seriously about being an intimidating threat. Obama and his crazy left media, hippie idealistic idiots...we are going to be ed further by Russia and others acting out, with their crowing, and their provocations. What's scarier, is the fact that half Americans have become wimps with the idea that military action, or the threat of use, is still a necessary means, to prevent greater escalations.

We can't blink on Russia, and they have to believe that we won't either. That's the only way they'll behave. They look at Obama, they're going to continue to push. Even the likes of Stalin had to be intimidated with his paranoid personality, for us to have any leverage on him. Starting with the Berlin airlift. Kennedy proved his strength against Kruschchev in the Cuban missile crisis, and Palin reiterated that "must not blink" leadership.

We need leaders who think pragmatically. There's a reason the rest of the world is rooting for us to elect that pencil neck, hesistating fraud in Obama...they want us to bend to the rest of the world and see us slowly diminish , rather than be restored.

What ? did Putin think Georgia was going to invade Russia?
    Seriously, Condoleeza already straightened him out on that issue.
    Yes, the U.S. is taking precautions in their self-interest, with the NATO nations, against threats like Iran and moreso the middle east, but Putin is such a paranoid , just like all the other Russian leaders with some weird inferiority complex.

Putin provoked and instigated the discontent within that sovereign nation, in order to have military excuse of "intervention" all because they had been giving false confidence to the secessionist mood within that state since February, and probably earlier than that--all for Putin's defeated view of Russia's disbanded Union and how he can't stand it.

I look at it this way, in the bigger picture, as history dictates. Russia needs to be intimidated back. We can't prance around the issue as something to be avoided, they're already trying to intimidate us with their comments...we'd be stupid not to promote to the world "we take this seriously - and will not be intimidated". You lose the game if you do it any other way; not standing up to them directly.
    Obama is just another Jimmy Carter in regard to foreign policy. He already proved it with his U.N. remark on Georgia.

Reagan was so successful because the rest of the world was scared as about him and what he might do when he took office. We need that intimidating threat of a leader again and McCain-Palin will achieve that.

We can't be conciliatory to these ers. Ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Newsflash: We aren't the only country with a strong military or weaponry. If anybody wants the even slightest possibility to risk casualties of civilians and soldiers for NO REASON AT ALL, go on and sign up, lace up your boots and load that gun.

If I'm a "pussie" by living with intelligent, peaceful intentions and standards, so be it.

Russia is not our enemy. It is not the Cold War. All focus should be on the Iraq initiative and getting our troops home and safe, as well as trying to stabilize what has gone down there.
    Last edited by dg7md; 09-11-2008 at 09:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The stupid is strong in this thread.

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'd still her...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If McCain gets elected we'll all get screwed.

Thread Information