Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Seeing a few KG over Dirk rankings and not sure how or why that is . KG never led his team to a le. 0 Finals MVP. I think he made it out of the first round once in Minnesota? And Dirk pretty much destroyed him head to head. 37-20 in their matchups. Swept KG in the 2002 playoffs.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Seeing a few KG over Dirk rankings and not sure how or why that is . KG never led his team to a le. 0 Finals MVP. I think he made it out of the first round once in Minnesota? And Dirk pretty much destroyed him head to head. 37-20 in their matchups. Swept KG in the 2002 playoffs.
    Yes, Dirk outplayed KG in 2002. But one could argue that KG was better all-round player, peaked higher (2004 ) and had his prime wasted in Minnesota. Dirk was better scorer though. You could make cases for both guys.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The whole thing started before Dirk won his ring and I argued that Manu's career > Dirks' (including international play). It was never about who the better player was.

FWIW, I still think Manu's career > Dirks'. Although after 2011, Dirk fans can make a case at least.

And in terms of who is better, I do think Dirk is better, but, imho, they are roughly in the same tier: just a level below the true elite franchise players. I know this is where most will disagree with me because they never saw Manu as a franchise player in the NBA for an extended period of time, but I have no doubt in my mind he will have done pretty damn good at that role.
    That's because his body wouldn't hold up playing in a larger role. The few times they tried it he fell apart. Dirk, OTOH, was uberman with rubber ankles and knees for 15 years till the wheels fell off. And I LOVED Manu...wanted Cuban to give him a blank check and get him on the Mavs.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yes, Dirk outplayed KG in 2002. But one could argue that KG was better all-round player, peaked higher (2004 ) and had his prime wasted in Minnesota. Dirk was better scorer though. You could make cases for both guys.
    kg was unquestionably superior as an all around player

dirk was unquestionably superior as a scorer and big game clutch player

if you did a checklist of who was better at different aspects of basketball, kg easily gets more checks. but dirks checks are so much more valuable, just the same way a pitcher like yu darvish could throw 8-10 pitches better than most in the league, but all of that could not compare to a guy like madison bumgarner whos elite control of the fastball/cutter made him absolutely unstoppable in the playoffs.

the league always has had plenty of very good all around players at any given point

but there are generally only a very few legit elite clutch scorers at any time in the league

theres a reason most teams build around elite scorers, as opposed to elite all-around players - they are rarer and more valuable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And that’s why I’m not a big fan of rankings, everyone has different criterias

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball Reference used to have rankings voted on by internet users. They get rid of those?
    It seems they got rid of it. Online voters were constantly putting Bird, Kareem, or Wilt as #1.
    And Jordan often falling to the lower top ten.
    They surely got money from factions that prey with the Jordan GOAT narrative.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because his body wouldn't hold up playing in a larger role. The few times they tried it he fell apart. Dirk, OTOH, was uberman with rubber ankles and knees for 15 years till the wheels fell off. And I LOVED Manu...wanted Cuban to give him a blank check and get him on the Mavs.
    Cuban was a dunce for getting rid of Nash and Nelly in favor of mundane Harris and Avery Johnson... totally bogged down their offense and it wouldn't recover until 2011.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems they got rid of it. Online voters were constantly putting Bird, Kareem, or Wilt as #1.
    And Jordan often falling to the lower top ten.
    They surely got money from factions that prey with the Jordan GOAT narrative.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I wasn't happy with his cheapness and idiocy after 2011 either. Dirk finally wins one and they reward him with butter knives like Chris Kaman instead of Chandler. He started treating the Mavs like a shark tank project after 2011...basement bargain shopping.

Cuban was a dunce for getting rid of Nash and Nelly in favor of mundane Harris and Avery Johnson... totally bogged down their offense and it wouldn't recover until 2011.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Top Fifty

1. Larry Bird
    2. Tim Duncan
    3. Lou Alcindor
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Len Bias
    6. John Stockton
    7. Wilt Chamberlain
    8. Scottie Pippen
    9. Pete Maravich
    10. Moses Malone
    11. Oscar Robertson
    12. Julius Erving
    13. Kevin McHale
    14. Manu Ginobili
    15. Hakeem Olajuwon
    16. Shaquille O'Neal
    17. Kawhi Leonard
    18. Karl Malone
    19. David Robinson
    20. Michael Jordan
    21. Isiah Thomas
    22. James Worthy
    23. Chris Webber
    24. Paul Pierce
    25. John Havlicek
    26. Lebron James
    27. Reggie Lewis
    28. Bill Walton
    29. Robert Parish
    30. Dirk Nowitzki
    31. Pau Gasol
    32. Charles Barkley
    33. Steve Nash
    34. Alex English
    35. Dominique Wilkins
    36. Grant Hill
    37. Peja Stojakovic
    38. Kevin Durant
    39. Ray Allen
    40. Clyde Drexler
    41. Ralph Sampson
    42. Earvin Johnson
    43. Vlade Divac
    44. Kobe Bryant
    45. Reggie Miller
    46. Bill Laimbeer
    47. Toni Kukoc
    48. Bruce Bowen
    49. Roy Tarpley
    50. Rajon Rondo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top Fifty

1. Larry Bird
    2. Tim Duncan
    3. Lou Alcindor
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Len Bias
    6. John Stockton
    7. Wilt Chamberlain
    8. Scottie Pippen
    9. Pete Maravich
    10. Moses Malone
    11. Oscar Robertson
    12. Julius Erving
    13. Kevin McHale
    14. Manu Ginobili
    15. Hakeem Olajuwon
    16. Kawhi Leonard
    17. Karl Malone
    18. David Robinson
    19. Chris Webber
    20. James Worthy
    21. Shaquille O'Neal
    22. Drazen Petrovic
    23. Isiah Thomas
    24. Kevin Garnett
    25. Michael Jordan
    26. Paul Pierce
    27. John Havlicek
    28. Lebron James
    29. Reggie Lewis
    30. Bill Walton
    31. Robert Parish
    32. Dirk Nowitzki
    33. Pau Gasol
    34. Charles Barkley
    35. Steve Nash
    36. Dominique Wilkins
    47. Ralph Sampson
    38. Peja Stojakovic
    39. Grant Hill
    40. Ray Allen
    41. Clyde Drexler
    42. Earvin Johnson
    43. Vlade Divac
    44. Kevin Durant
    45. Alex English
    46. Tracy McGrady
    47. Kobe Bryant
    48. Toni Kukoc
    49. Bruce Bowen
    50. Roy Tarpley
    50. Rajon Rondo
    50. Patrick Ewing
    50. Tony Parker
    50. Rick Barry
    50. Jason Kidd
    50. Dennis Johnson
    50. Bill Laimbeer
    50. Adrian Dantley
    50. Bernard King
    50. Chris Mullin
    50. Shawn Marion
    50. Jerry West

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    A couple things.
    Of course its debatable after Jordan and probably Jabbar. They are not flawless or no brainers but when you factor rings, impact, scoring records, MVps etc. They both hit the most marks. Plus both won in college, when that mattered.

Intangibles boost Bird, Magic and Tim.
    Longevity Kareem, Karl Tim Kobe LeBron Dirk get a boost.
    Peak dominance Hakeem Shaq. Moses Mj Wilt get a boost etc.

Bottom line is after mj and Kareem its soo debatable and the top 20 is pretty damn great. I dont like mailman I think he is a choker but he used to bust the Lakers ass ...so he is bottom of top 20 for me .. but firmly in.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Top Fifty

1. Larry Bird
    2. Tim Duncan
    3. Lou Alcindor
    4. Bill Russell
    5. Len Bias
    6. John Stockton
    7. Wilt Chamberlain
    8. Scottie Pippen
    9. Pete Maravich
    10. Moses Malone
    11. Oscar Robertson
    12. Julius Erving
    13. Kevin McHale
    14. Manu Ginobili
    15. Hakeem Olajuwon
    16. Kawhi Leonard
    17. Karl Malone
    18. David Robinson
    19. Chris Webber
    20. James Worthy
    21. Shaquille O'Neal
    22. Drazen Petrovic
    23. Isiah Thomas
    24. Kevin Garnett
    25. Michael Jordan
    26. Paul Pierce
    27. John Havlicek
    28. Lebron James
    29. Reggie Lewis
    30. Bill Walton
    31. Robert Parish
    32. Dirk Nowitzki
    33. Pau Gasol
    34. Charles Barkley
    35. Steve Nash
    36. Dominique Wilkins
    47. Ralph Sampson
    38. Peja Stojakovic
    39. Grant Hill
    40. Ray Allen
    41. Clyde Drexler
    42. Earvin Johnson
    43. Vlade Divac
    44. Kevin Durant
    45. Alex English
    46. Tracy McGrady
    47. Kobe Bryant
    48. Toni Kukoc
    49. Bruce Bowen
    50. Roy Tarpley
    50. Rajon Rondo
    50. Patrick Ewing
    50. Tony Parker
    50. Rick Barry
    50. Jason Kidd
    50. Dennis Johnson
    50. Bill Laimbeer
    50. Adrian Dantley
    50. Bernard King
    50. Chris Mullin
    50. Shawn Marion
    50. Jerry West
    Might be the shiitiest list ever. But i respect your right to be wrong, lol
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 06-19-2020 at 09:50 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be the shiitiest liat ever. But i respect yiur right ti be wrong lol
    What's wrong with it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO dirk should be higher on the list, his at least above kg, kobe, drob, drj, kd, curry...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    IMO dirk should be higher on the list, his at least above kg, kobe, drob, drj, kd, curry...
    I love Dirk ...but no. He aint over Kobe Steph or KD he does have a case over KG mailman and Drob if you dont care about defense.

And to be fair Dirk is over KD/Steph currently ...but im projecting ...but who knows if KD recovers to close to what he was?!
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 06-19-2020 at 11:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    funni how ppl like to bring up KG is all round player and better peak then dirk, nothing more then a stat padder...dirk doesnt do all those stats, he does the scoring to get the win...

hence how can u blame management when kg was to busy taking those max deals that left no budget to fill a team around him??? excuses excuses is all i hear

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk got probably as high as he should've for a guy who was pretty much a defensive liability and not a great rebounder.
    Definitely a rock on offense and a guy who could get his own quality shots in crunch time. He is above Kobe and KD if you hadn't noticed.
    Curry didn't make the list because he's a full-on beneficiary of the soft rules. He and Thompson are on the fringe though.
    Dr. J gets ranked lower because people conveniently forget his ABA days. If we're just going by the older Dr. J most are more familiar with he'd be lower.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All soft as Charmin, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    funni how ppl like to bring up KG is all round player and better peak then dirk, nothing more then a stat padder...dirk doesnt do all those stats, he does the scoring to get the win...

hence how can u blame management when kg was to busy taking those max deals that left no budget to fill a team around him??? excuses excuses is all i hear
    I initially was considering leaving KG off the list b/c he really wasn't as strong in the low post as one would like for a guy with that kind of length and shooting touch. But then I recalled how simply amazing he was as the defensive anchor of that 08 C's team and how he added distribution options on offense in addition to having a great mid range game. He was the real 08 MVP, but they had to give Kobe his lifetime achievement award. Had he not injured his knee in 09, I think the C's would've three-peated. And I tried not to punish players for injuries. They happen. I think "longevity" is over-rated. Lebron or Jordan could've blown out his knee in year two. Injuries are fickle. Also, taking it back to KG, it's not his fault he had to play much of his career in Minneberia with not much talent around him. Dude rivaled The Great Tim Duncan in the early to mid 2000's for a reason.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I initially was considering leaving KG off the list b/c he really wasn't as strong in the low post as one would like for a guy with that kind of length and shooting touch. But then I recalled how simply amazing he was as the defensive anchor of that 08 C's team and how he added distribution options on offense in addition to having a great mid range game. He was the real 08 MVP, but they had to give Kobe his lifetime achievement award. Had he not injured his knee in 09, I think the C's would've three-peated. And I tried not to punish players for injuries. They happen. I think "longevity" is over-rated. Lebron or Jordan could've blown out his knee in year two. Injuries are fickle. Also, taking it back to KG, it's not his fault he had to play much of his career in Minneberia with not much talent around him. Dude rivaled The Great Tim Duncan in the early to mid 2000's for a reason.

Kobe was so lucky to three-peat with Shaq, and then that happened. 5 Rangs doe

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

if you did a checklist of who was better at different aspects of basketball, kg easily gets more checks. but dirks checks are so much more valuable, just the same way a pitcher like yu darvish could throw 8-10 pitches better than most in the league, but all of that could not compare to a guy like madison bumgarner whos elite control of the fastball/cutter made him absolutely unstoppable in the playoffs.

the league always has had plenty of very good all around players at any given point

but there are generally only a very few legit elite clutch scorers at any time in the league

theres a reason most teams build around elite scorers, as opposed to elite all-around players - they are rarer and more valuable
    Brilliant post.

But KG is not your typical all-around player, he was sensational all-around player and Dirk was scoring just a couple more points per game. Still, Dirk was considerably better scorer, was defended much tighter, drew doubles. He was warping defenses something Kevin couldn't do as well.

But KG was extremely versatile, he could defend point guards and centers, was beter passer and etc. He had so many checks at so many aspects of basketball. Just look at this:

That's unbelivable level of play. Sometimes in the clutch, you have to do things other than scoring.

I think Dirk's ring in 2011 made him greater than KG in the eyes of vast majority of people. He played for much better managed franchise too. It's a shame that Sam Cassell was injured in WCF in 2004. Minnesota could win it all that year. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Still, I'm okay that Dirk ranked higher. I just think that it's not that one-sided and arguments can be made for both guys.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kobe was so lucky to three-peat with Shaq, and then that happened. 5 Rangs doe
    If you want to call rigging series over the Blazers in 01 and Kings in 00 and 02 luck, then yea I agree. He was lucky.

But expanding on this, my list reflects the league cheating and more legitimately how I think careers would've went on an even playing field.
    MJ and Kobe are not players who were ever meant to win more than 1-3 les. They're not the dominant forces they're made out to be.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kings were never the same after C Webb hurt his knee in 03. Still, I was hoping they'd dig it out in 04. They had the experience and enough talent.
    Adelman not running a play to get a three for the best three shooter in the world at the end? That's why the dude doesn't have a ring as a coach.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If you want to call rigging series over the Blazers in 01 and Kings in 00 and 02 luck, then yea I agree. He was lucky.

But expanding on this, my list reflects the league cheating and more legitimately how I think careers would've went on an even playing field.
    MJ and Kobe are not players who were ever meant to win more than 1-3 les. They're not the dominant forces they're made out to be.
    Couldn't agree more. And I think that two-way bigs are the most valuable commodity not only in basketball but in all of North American sports in general

Thread Information