San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why don't you try actually going to academic.com
    Are they?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jacobs, J. L. et al. (2009) “Use of surgical face masks to reduce the incidence of the common cold among health care workers in Japan: A randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Infection Control, Volume 37, Issue 5, 417 – 419. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19216002

N95-masked health-care workers (HCW) were significantly more likely to experience headaches. Face mask use in HCW was not demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.
    The actual conclusion of that paper
    Face mask use in health care workers has not been demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds. A larger study is needed to definitively establish noninferiority of no mask use.
    This right here is why idiots with no grasp of the scientific process are dangerous, the conclusion was actually they needed more people to test.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The actual conclusion of that paper

This right here is why idiots with no grasp of the scientific process are dangerous, the conclusion was actually they needed more people to test.
    Here's why you are not intelligent.
    1. You proved the point that not only do masks not prevent spread of contagion but also cause headaches. That was silly to point out.

2. All studies have strengths limitations and further research. Lol

You've never read a peer reviewd article. Bwahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahshhshshshshhshshshsh shshshhsahhs

This guy.

Oh my.

Typical spurstalk.

Bqahahahahhaha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's why you are not intelligent.
    1. You proved the point that not only do masks not prevent spread of contagion but also cause headaches. That was silly to point out.

2. All studies have strengths limitations and further research. Lol

You've never read a peer reviewd article. Bwahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahshhshshshshhshshshsh shshshhsahhs

This guy.

Oh my.

Typical spurstalk.

Bqahahahahhaha
    No they don't. And when I say that I'm referring to this crazy idea that you have where ALL studies require further research.

not only do masks not prevent spread of contagion
    That's not what this conclusion sentence means, that's also not what that facebook paragraph you linked was trying to say
    Face mask use in health care workers has not been demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No they don't. And when I say that I'm referring to this crazy idea that you have where ALL studies require further research.

That's not what this conclusion sentence means, that's also not what that facebook paragraph you linked was trying to say
    The discussion section clearly states the primary findings of the study, poses explanations for the findings and any conclusions that can be drawn from them. It may also include the author’s assessment of limitations in the research as conducted and suggestions for further research that is needed.

Stop the gossip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The discussion section clearly states the primary findings of the study, poses explanations for the findings and any conclusions that can be drawn from them. It may also include the author’s assessment of limitations in the research as conducted and suggestions for further research that is needed.

Stop the gossip
    Oh really was one of the limitations listed "depending on a syptomatic response, rather than testing for the virus" because that's a big flaw with that study. Which is why the conclusion wasn't that masks didn't work. The conclusion was "we can't show masks work and also we need more people".

So what you're saying here is that you didn't read it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I try to point people in the right direction. Don't say you couldn't see my finger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The simplicity of those recommendations is likely unsettling to people anxious to do more to protect themselves, so it’s no surprise that face masks are in short supply—despite the CDC specifically not recommending them for healthy people trying to protect against COVID-19. “It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not likely to be effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”"-Time Magazine article from April 3rd this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The simplicity of those recommendations is likely unsettling to people anxious to do more to protect themselves, so it’s no surprise that face masks are in short supply—despite the CDC specifically not recommending them for healthy people trying to protect against COVID-19. “It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not likely to be effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”"-Time Magazine article from April 3rd this year
    right. masks aren't being recommended for the protection fo the wearer.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I'm the only one that matters so why should I wear one then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they are one way devices?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's find anecdotal weirdos to illustrate how smart we are when we have no clue and rode the CDC's recommendations both ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's a symbol of unity and caring, not so much an actual barrier to the virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup. they didnt want public buying up masks when doctors needed them

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's a symbol of unity and caring, not so much an actual barrier to the virus.
    Boy you are all on the Trump train

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh really was one of the limitations listed "depending on a syptomatic response, rather than testing for the virus" because that's a big flaw with that study. Which is why the conclusion wasn't that masks didn't work. The conclusion was "we can't show masks work and also we need more people".

So what you're saying here is that you didn't read it.
    No I did. Here from usc.

The objectives of your discussion section should include the following:

I. Reiterate the Research Problem/State the Major Findings

Briefly reiterate the research problem or problems you are investigating and the methods you used to investigate them, then move quickly to describe the major findings of the study. You should write a direct, declarative, and succinct proclamation of the study results, usually in one paragraph.

II. Explain the Meaning of the Findings and Why They are Important

Consider the likelihood that no one has thought as long and hard about your study as you have. Systematically explain the underlying meaning of your findings and state why you believe they are significant. After reading the discussion section, you want the reader to think critically about the results [“why didn't I think of that?”]. You don’t want to force the reader to go through the paper multiple times to figure out what it all means. If applicable, begin this part of the section by repeating what you consider to be your most significant or unanticipated finding first, then systematically review each finding. Otherwise, follow the general order you reported the findings in the results section.

III. Relate the Findings to Similar Studies

No study in the social sciences is so novel or possesses such a restricted focus that it has absolutely no relation to previously published research. The discussion section should relate your results to those found in other studies, particularly if questions raised from prior studies served as the motivation for your research. This is important because comparing and contrasting the findings of other studies helps to support the overall importance of your results and it highlights how and in what ways your study differs from other research about the topic. Note that any significant or unanticipated finding is often because there was no prior research to indicate the finding could occur. If there is prior research to indicate this, you need to explain why it was significant or unanticipated.

IV. Consider Alternative Explanations of the Findings

It is important to remember that the purpose of research in the social sciences is to discover and not to prove. When writing the discussion section, you should carefully consider all possible explanations for the study results, rather than just those that fit your hypothesis or prior assumptions and biases. This is especially important when describing the discovery of significant or unanticipated findings.

V. Acknowledge the Study’s Limitations

It is far better for you to identify and acknowledge your study’s limitations than to have them pointed out by your professor! Note any unanswered questions or issues your study did not address and describe the generalizability of your results to other situations. If a limitation is applicable to the method chosen to gather information, then describe in detail the problems you encountered and why.

VI. Make Suggestions for Further Research

You may choose to conclude the discussion section by making suggestions for further research [this can be done in the overall conclusion of your paper]. Although your study may offer important insights about the research problem, this is where you can address other questions related to the problem that remain unanswered or highlight previously hidden questions that were revealed as a result of conducting your research. You should frame your suggestions by linking the need for further research to the limitations of your study [e.g., in future studies, the survey instrument should include more questions that ask..."] or linking to critical issues revealed from the data that were not considered initially in your research.

Recommendations for further research can be included in either the discussion or conclusion of your paper, but do not repeat your recommendations in the both sections. Think about the overall narrative flow of your paper to determine where best to locate this information. However, if your findings raise a lot of new questions or issues, consider including suggestions for further research in the discussion section

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strange leap.

I'll wear a mask because I care about you, but I'll make that run to Home Depot to get those tiki torches because I just have to.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the coronavirus began to spread throughout the US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued guidelines for how to stay safe and avoid contracting the virus.While they do encourage those diagnosed with or showing symptoms of the COVID-19 virus to take appropriate measures, they acknowledge that everyone wearing face masks is unlikely to be very effective. So why are so many people rushing to buy face masks? Psychotherapist Amy Morin explains that wearing the masks does more for our mental health than our physical well-being, by soothing our anxiety and giving us the illusion of being in control

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the coronavirus began to spread throughout the US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued guidelines for how to stay safe and avoid contracting the virus.While they do encourage those diagnosed with or showing symptoms of the COVID-19 virus to take appropriate measures, they acknowledge that everyone wearing face masks is unlikely to be very effective. So why are so many people rushing to buy face masks? Psychotherapist Amy Morin explains that wearing the masks does more for our mental health than our physical well-being, by soothing our anxiety and giving us the illusion of being in control
    Placebo. This is why the CDC changed directions, it's why the surgeon general followed suit. It doesn't make sense that you cannot breath the virus out though your mask but you can breathe it in through your mask. The droplet bull is non sequitur. Droplets existed prior to COVID-19 with corona viruses and yet the CDC never recommended that everyone wear masks.

But it's a religion, folks who know nothing about it trust the "experts" and will put panties on their head if told it will help prevent the spread of the virus. Not going along means you're an uncaring piece of Trump loving .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they are one way devices?
    Basically. The idea is that even if the effect is minor, avoiding infected people from coughing on somebody else will sometimes prevent contagion. Given that the virus is highly contagious, even if they're effective only 10% of the time, that still can mean thousands less cases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically. The idea is that even if the effect is minor, avoiding infected people from coughing on somebody else will sometimes prevent contagion. Given that the virus is highly contagious, even if they're effective only 10% of the time, that still can mean thousands less cases.
    The 10% is a manufactured gambler's fallacy number. It could be .0001%. It could be that wearing it exposes a higher percentage to chronic lung issues though inhalation of bacterial growth on the mask. There are a lot of other possibilities than "helps 10% of the time".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Placebo. This is why the CDC changed directions, it's why the surgeon general followed suit. It doesn't make sense that you cannot breath the virus out though your mask but you can breathe it in through your mask. The droplet bull is non sequitur. Droplets existed prior to COVID-19 with corona viruses and yet the CDC never recommended that everyone wear masks.

But it's a religion, folks who know nothing about it trust the "experts" and will put panties on their head if told it will help prevent the spread of the virus. Not going along means you're an uncaring piece of Trump loving .
    Not really, no. The problem early was that medical personnel didn't have masks while people were hoarding them, thus discouraging them was the right thing to do as part of any medical emergency.

Probably didn't have to be done with the administration didn't botch the response so badly and failed to stockpile (and this falls on this and the previous administration) the necessary masks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cases don't arent people. Not how the cdc counts it.

Cdc claims over 20 million Americans already HAD covid. Can't have 20 million already had it and claim to be highly transmissible or fatal. Can't be both

Thread Information