Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Flying Coach podcast Doc Rivers and Steve Kerr discussing race and racists and such. Doc stated his home here in SA was burned down by skin heads. I’ve never heard this story before. Found the one link below discussing it. Anyone know anymore to this story and if they ever prosecuted anyone for it?

https://www.nydailynews.com/archives...ticle-1.776410

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the party who bought his burned house in Shavano Park and rebuilt it. He said what he was told by people in the know in Shavano Park was that Doc had a crazy girlfriend who got into his house while Doc and his wife were out of town and started the fire by turning an iron on and leaving it on some clothes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the party who bought his burned house in Shavano Park and rebuilt it. He said what he was told by people in the know in Shavano Park was that Doc had a crazy girlfriend who got into his house while Doc and his wife were out of town and started the fire by turning an iron on and leaving it on some clothes.
    Interesting if that's true. It maybe the reasons why Doc never fully pursued the arsonist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. That’s a twist in the story. Could it be Shavano being Shavano and protecting image tho?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting if that's true. It maybe the reasons why Doc never fully pursued the arsonist.
    It wouldn't have been up to Doc to pursue any alleged arsonist. That responsibility lies with law enforcement. I've been in that house on Ottawa Dr in Shavano Park after the fire and when it was repaired. I don't know if it's true a crazy girlfriend did that, but I was told the story by the guy who bought the house.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it was skinheads.......Texas is Texas! The place that brought you white dudes dragging a black dude behind their truck!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never believed that story .... Family lives in that neighborhood and its been relatively quiet for years.... I think Benoit Benjamin's family used to live in that neighborhood as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Andre Rison had the same crazy female problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prob had nothing to do with race and I don't see anything in that article pointing to that conclusion. More garbage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might have happened, who knows. Shavano is sketchy. One of my HS GFs lived behind the house of Allen Blackthorne (millionaire who killed his wife).

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...ll-5907669.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might have happened, who knows. Shavano is sketchy. One of my HS GFs lived behind the house of Allen Blackthorne (millionaire who killed his wife).

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...ll-5907669.php
    Know someone who worked with him ... completely surprised by it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Flying Coach podcast Doc Rivers and Steve Kerr discussing race and racists and such. Doc stated his home here in SA was burned down by skin heads. I’ve never heard this story before. Found the one link below discussing it. Anyone know anymore to this story and if they ever prosecuted anyone for it?

https://www.nydailynews.com/archives...ticle-1.776410
    100% true, Austin Rivers, his son, said the same thing in the Lowe Pod a few years ago. Apparently people were upset a black man married a white woman. Yikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys have funky neighborhoods...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it was skinheads.......Texas is Texas! The place that brought you white dudes dragging a black dude behind their truck!
    East rural Texas is almost a completely different state..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that it happened anywhere is the issue; that explanation is pretty consistent with U.S history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps his crazy GF was a skinhead?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Deep South as much as LA to GA is Deep South.

I grew up over there when it was Jim Crow country, and still is socially.

Nasty ing place, sends Louie Gohmert to Congress

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe him. Wealthy black guy in a upscale neighborhood with a white wife...yea racists don't like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100% true, Austin Rivers, his son, said the same thing in the Lowe Pod a few years ago. Apparently people were upset a black man married a white woman. Yikes.
    I believe him. Wealthy black guy in a upscale neighborhood with a white wife...yea racists don't like that.
    Because Austin Rivers restates a story his father told, this makes the event 100% accurate?
    It would seem if indeed skinheads pulled off this hate crime, then the Shavano Police, Texas Rangers and FBI would have been all over that case and eventually made an arrest. But oddly there was no reports of skinhead activity before or after the fire. The case just quietly died.

Shavano Police are very aggressive with speeders and random people driving through their neighborhood. It's not a place to be if you dont live there. So to think that some skinheads just rolled up to Doc's house in their ride, parked in the circular driveway, and let themselves in to start a fire is a stretch.

As far as the white wife angle, we've had plenty of black players that had white wives or girlfriends and they were never victims of skinheads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Austin Rivers restates a story his father told, this makes the event 100% accurate?
    It would seem if indeed skinheads pulled off this hate crime, then the Shavano Police, Texas Rangers and FBI would have been all over that case and eventually made an arrest. But oddly there was no reports of skinhead activity before or after the fire. The case just quietly died.

Shavano Police are very aggressive with speeders and random people driving through their neighborhood. It's not a place to be if you dont live there. So to think that some skinheads just rolled up to Doc's house in their ride, parked in the circular driveway, and let themselves in to start a fire is a stretch.

As far as the white wife angle, we've had plenty of black players that had white wives or girlfriends and they were never victims of skinheads.
    Yes I will take the word of the person(s) who were there versus a messageboard rumor. Idk why its so hard to believe he was a victim of a hate crime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t know either way. But Shavano was very isolated back in the day. This was before all the that’s there now. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone was racist against Rivers but it definitely wasn’t a skinhead. There’s literally a police station two blocks away. No skinhead is going there: A) in the rich area where they had to know the streets bc the roads are confusing as in those neighborhoods, easy to get lost. B) They had to know which one was Rivers house. If anything it was an inside job (whether someone in the neighborhood or his ex-side chick)

Austin Rivers though wouldn’t know if it was the side piece and I’m sure Doc wouldn’t advertise it. What’s he supposed to tell his son back then? Well I was cheating on your mom with this other chick and then I ended it with her and she took it really bad and threatened me.

Either way tho a lot of shady happened in Shavano. The place basically had a law of its own and not all of it was on the up and up. Lots of suicides in that place too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes I will take the word of the person(s) who were there versus a messageboard rumor. Idk why its so hard to believe he was a victim of a hate crime.
    It’s not hard...... they just don’t like facing truth and dealing with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be surprised, but not shocked. This is Texas after all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember that, Joey was at my party the weekend before he went and killed Blackthorne’s ex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta be tough for skin heads in SA, it’s like 70% Mexican down there

Thread Information