My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suspended Indefinitely: Tim Duncan Feels Ageless
    by Colin McGowan
    Jun 24, 2020 9:50 PM

There are Tim Duncan stories, but they’re more like anti-stories, uncanny lame normal guy activities fashioned into myth because the normal guy is a Hall of Famer who has to custom order his cargo shorts. The Onion built a whole character out of Duncan’s dorky anti-celebrity, describing him as a helpful and conscientious Economist subscriber willing to do his teammates’ taxes or drive them to a polling place on election day. This is only slightly more boring than the truth. He collected swords—”I just like sharp things,” he once said to a real life reporter and not, as you might guess, in the imagination of a comedy writer who went to Macalester—and took Danny Green and Stephen Jackson out for paintball matches in the offseason. He plays D&D and has a Merlin tattoo. If somebody wrote this stuff about a character in a novel, you’d accuse them of being lazy and non-specific. But you can draw Tim Duncan using just primary colors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting!

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know I have heard that Duncan was regularly attending Spurs practices this season before the whole Corona thing and from the games he was sitting in a sideline seat he doesn't appear to be that out of shape. With the various teams in the 8 game play in portion signing various replacement players it might be fun for him to sign a replacement contract with the spurs since I hear their center Aldridge is likely sitting out with shoulder issues. It also makes the hall of fame thing more noteworthy. I also think he knows the spurs system and since he's an older player Pop might trust him

Real talk though i kind of just don't want my last memory of Duncan to be those last few playoff games where it was clear that both knees were done

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article. I'll always remember the very first time my late father (an avid Spurs fan, and the reason I am an avid Spurs fan) told me about Duncan. Said he had dominated in college and would be coming to the Spurs. Said he could be like the next Jordan.

Sure, he wouldn't quite become Jordan. His game, his demeanor, his personality was all different...that was never in the cards for him, even if he almost matched Jordan's ring count.

But I can still say that I got to watch the entire career of a top-10 player (and the best PF ever to play) from start to finish. I got to celebrate 5 les along the way.

What a ride it was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOAT

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article. I'll always remember the very first time my late father (an avid Spurs fan, and the reason I am an avid Spurs fan) told me about Duncan. Said he had dominated in college and would be coming to the Spurs. Said he could be like the next Jordan.

Sure, he wouldn't quite become Jordan. His game, his demeanor, his personality was all different...that was never in the cards for him, even if he almost matched Jordan's ring count.

But I can still say that I got to watch the entire career of a top-10 player (and the best PF ever to play) from start to finish. I got to celebrate 5 les along the way.

What a ride it was.
    The greatest ride in NBA history. We got to witness nearly 20 years of not winning less than 50 games. You will never see that again. Watching the Spurs during the Duncan era was like watching a great TV sitcom for 20 years. Every season was entertaining even when the Spurs were not winning les.

Thread Information