My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    vince carter officially announced his retirement recently.

for those who don't know, the spurs wanted VC but settled for richard jefferson

it seemed like the hangup was the spurs not willing to move roger mason and george hill idk how the spurs managed to over value them so much.

VC was who they expected jefferson to be: fearless and willing to finish at the rim with authority.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    spurs should've traded for VC and then traded parker for a bowen replacement and defensive, athletic C.

tp was fantastic at scoring in the paint... until he faced tough defensive teams in the POs. VC wouldn't have fallen victim to that.

PG: manu
    SG: VC
    SF: bowen replacement (via tony trade)
    PF: TD
    C: defensive, athletic C (via tony trade)

no 2014 but spurs would've B2B tbh.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    this is literally the first time i've ever heard this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... George Hill was traded for the 15th-overall pick (and the 42nd-overall pick AND the rights to a coveted big from overseas) and was going to go for the 10th-overall pick the year before had PG not fallen. I don't get why you think not trading for an already-old Carter was a bad move.

What kinda dumb ass, especially one who's a big enough Leonard homer to voluntarily and on his own with no help from the mods changed his team to Toronto and then decide to stay with his new team simply because he loved being a Raptors fan so much, would think the Spurs should regret not making that trade?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may be one of the dumbest takes I’ve read on this forum.

And that’s saying A LOT.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I don't get why you think not trading for an already-old Carter was a bad move.
    he would've been much better for the spurs than jefferson was.

What kinda dumb ass, especially one who's a big enough Leonard homer to voluntarily and on his own with no help from the mods changed his team to Toronto and then decide to stay with his new team simply because he loved being a Raptors fan so much, would think the Spurs should regret not making that trade?

you could not be more wrong

the mods changed my team and i never asked for them to. they changed my team after i kept saying kawhi would take the raps all the way. i was right about that before that season even started.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    This may be one of the dumbest takes I’ve read on this forum.

And that’s saying A LOT.
    oh yeah, RJ really worked out for the spurs. i forgot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh yeah, RJ really worked out for the spurs. i forgot.
    Not claiming that he did. But VC was never in the works or even a consideration, as far as I remember.

Also, if we are living in this alternative universe where the Spurs trade George Hill for Carter, they never get Kawhi, and probably don't make the run they did from 2012-2014.

This is equivalent to saying STUPID SPURS! WHY DIDN'T THEY GO AFTER LEBRON!?

Show me one article or source that says the Spurs were seriously considering or in contention for Vince Carter, and I'll change my mind. Otherwise, this just seems like you are making stuff up and trying to find more stupid reasons to bash PATFO.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is literally the first time i've ever heard this
    OP is liar that’s why. VC never wanted to come to SA.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Also, if we are living in this alternative universe where the Spurs trade George Hill for Carter, they never get Kawhi, and probably don't make the run they did from 2012-2014.
    i already said 2014 would not have happened.

This is equivalent to saying STUPID SPURS! WHY DIDN'T THEY GO AFTER LEBRON!?

Show me one article or source that says the Spurs were seriously considering or in contention for Vince Carter, and I'll change my mind. Otherwise, this just seems like you are making stuff up and trying to find more stupid reasons to bash PATFO.
    VC trade thread from 2009: https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137399
    spurs still had interest in signing VC in 2011: "Chicago, Miami and San Antonio are expected to be among the teams interested in signing Carter, 34, once he clears waivers and becomes an unrestricted free agent." (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...r-lockout-ends)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    wtf would i randomly make something up? and it would've been a trade so VC wouldn't have had a lot of say anyways.

you're the one speculating that VC would never have wanted to come to SA. why not? he had no issue playing in orlando, finishing his career with ATL.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs should've traded for VC and then traded parker for a bowen replacement and defensive, athletic C.

tp was fantastic at scoring in the paint... until he faced tough defensive teams in the POs. VC wouldn't have fallen victim to that.

PG: manu
    SG: VC
    SF: bowen replacement (via tony trade)
    PF: TD
    C: defensive, athletic C (via tony trade)

no 2014 but spurs would've B2B tbh.
    What do you think this is 2k? Lmao no way thats a line up.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    What do you think this is 2k? Lmao no way thats a line up.
    no it isn't

i haven't considered the cap but i would've moved heaven and earth to trade tp for tayshaun prince and tyson chandler.

manu / VC / prince / TD / chandler would've be a dynasty.

with the cap somewhat in mind, i'd settle for someone who isn't tayshaun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah OP isn't making this up. He's just being foolish thinking the Spurs messed up there. It's not hard to understand his fandom of Carter though given VC was the first star the Raptors had.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    It's not hard to understand his fandom of Carter though given VC was the first star the Raptors had.

i was alway trashing the raps until the kawhi trade. i knew they would win it all at that point.

and i've honestly never even been a big VC fan. but it isn't hard to know that the spurs with VC > spurs with RJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vince carter officially announced his retirement recently.

for those who don't know, the spurs wanted VC but settled for richard jefferson

it seemed like the hangup was the spurs not willing to move roger mason and george hill idk how the spurs managed to over value them so much.

VC was who they expected jefferson to be: fearless and willing to finish at the rim with authority.

Seeing how Hill got us Kawhi, I would say the FO took the right decisión there, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no it isn't

i haven't considered the cap but i would've moved heaven and earth to trade tp for tayshaun prince and tyson chandler.

manu / VC / prince / TD / chandler would've be a dynasty.

Well good thing you weren’t and are not running the show.

with the cap somewhat in mind, i'd settle for someone who isn't tayshaun.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve heard this before. If I recall, the Spurs tried a couple of times to get VC. Once more in free agency a few years ago (I think)

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that. VC was on the list of players who desperately wanted a ring.
    His legacy suffers a lot for not having one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i already said 2014 would not have happened.

VC trade thread from 2009: https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137399
    spurs still had interest in signing VC in 2011: "Chicago, Miami and San Antonio are expected to be among the teams interested in signing Carter, 34, once he clears waivers and becomes an unrestricted free agent." (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...r-lockout-ends)
    Fair enough, I stand corrected.

I still think we better off having gotten Kawhi, even with the way things ended.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No 2014 championship if the Spurs had traded for VC instead. I do like Vince, though, and wish he would have been a Spurs, but not at the expense of 2014 le.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    yeah, hill brought kawhi, kawhi helped the spurs ring... but kawhi also brought demar to san antonio

RJ was brought in to turn things around. he was so not good that everyone forgets how big of a role he was supposed to play. VC would've given the spurs a big four and they would've been a contender back then. spurs could've at least won one ring. VC wasn't in his prime but he was the dynamic wing the spurs desperately needed. he wasn't as reluctant and unsure of himself as RJ.

what RJ had was athleticism but it was wasted because he would never play as tenacious as did with kidd. VC was everything RJ wasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the one guy in this franchise who overvalues mediocre players name rhymes with flop and

VC in 09 was still nice, but massively regressed in 11-12 season. Averaged 10 points only. Spurs made the WCF, the finals and then won the le. I don't think he would have helped a lot. Nephew did give us a way bigger window,
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 07-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what the OP is whining about. Toronto never wins a ship if that trade happens.

Thread Information