Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ducks
    The San Antonio Spurs have found their replacement for retired center David Robinson.

Free-agent center Rasho Nesterovic will sign a six-year contract estimated at $45 million with the Spurs, agent Bill Duffy told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Tuesday.

Rasho Nesterovic narrowed his wish list down to two teams (Minnesota and San Antonio) and one long shot (New York). The defending champion Spurs, with two-time MVP Tim Duncan, won out.

"Rasho has a great fondess for Gregg Popovich," Duffy told ESPN.com. "This is a great opportunity to join a championship-caliber organization."

The Spurs, struggling to make use of their $15 million-plus in salary-cap space despite winning their second NBA le in franchise history last month, had been pursuing Nesterovic aggressively since missing out on Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning and P.J. Brown. The Spurs were also in talks with Indiana's Brad Miller.

Nesterovic already has a seven-year offer on the table worth more than $50 million from the Wolves, who desperately wanted to keep Nesterovic alongside Kevin Garnett on their front line. Minnesota was also hoping to add power forward Juwan Howard, but the Orlando Sentinel reported in Monday's editions that Howard has picked the Magic over the Wolves.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, send Stein a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.
    link

Marcus Bryant
    That deal starts at $6 million.

SpursFanInAustin
    That leaves us with $8-10 million to play with, right?

MannyIsGod
    Great price for Rasho no matter how you view it. Even less money than minniesota.

Nice.

smackdaddy11
    The Cap # becomes extremely important now.

42.5 mil come to papa :wacko

ducks
    cap should be out today

Truthsayer
    That's a bargain for a seven footer with skilz.

Morphgizmo
    Agreed MB.

Rasho at only $6 million starting is a nice safety net for the Spurs an allows them to keep their hat in the Brand lottery. If Brand falls through the cracks, toss big money at Odom or equivelant, and nab a backup point.

Marcus Bryant
    If the cap is $42.5 million then that should leave the Spurs with roughly $10.5 million. My guess is that the Spurs and Nesterovic might have agreed to a range of starting salaries depending on where the cap comes in. That way they could still make a play for a free agent in Brand or Odom's class (25% of cap).

Of course, I'm only a amateur when it comes to this cap stuff. Please direct all questions about the CBA to GhostWriter.

GrandeDavid
    I'll just trust Pop's instincts on this one. I do like the fact that he really likes Pop and that he is joining a championship-caliber team with a true team concept. I think that his positive at ude, physical skills and learning from Tim Duncan will make him twice the player he was in Minny.

spurster
    The rest of the summer is yet to be played out, but it will count as a major disappointment if Rasho ends up being the only big signing.

By itself though, this is a decent signing. The Spurs will have someone decent at center. Now while the Spurs make a play at Brand, we can complain about our hole at backup PG.

smackdaddy11
    Of course, I'm only a amateur when it comes to this cap stuff. Please direct all questions about the CBA to GhostWriter.

ChumpDumper
    Pop would play it pretty safe if he's this close--he might even have an agreement to pay Rasho an amount dependent on the on the cap.

Rasho must really have hated Minny, because he really seems to be playing ball to make this work.

SequSpur
    Great.. Lottery Bound. Maybe we can pull another Drob or Tdunc...

SpursWoman
    Good, I'm glad you don't like him Sequ.

If I remember correctly, you didn't much care for Manu-re, either. :wink

exstatic
    ^^^^That may be your dumbest post yet, SequCracker, and that's saying a LOT.

If you put Tim out there with 4 guys from the Y, the team would win 50 and be in the WC playoffs. Lottery...sheesh.

picnroll
    Can't believe some people. We just got pimped by Kidd. O'Neal went for the mony (and loyalty). PJ Brown takes less money to stay in NO. Now we have a guy coming to the Spurs for LESS money, willing to work with us on the money to get in more talent, a bargain for a skilled 7 footer, going to fit in well with the team chemistry-wise, undoubtedly going to bust his hump to improve, and some people are ing about him. In ingcredible.

Walton Buys Off Me
    I will be level-headed and reserve comment or judgement till I see the final product.

However, if this is our 'big score', as ESPN is reporting then I'm not going to be happy

Truthsayer
    Can't believe some people. We just got pimped by Kidd. O'Neal went for the mony (and loyalty). PJ Brown takes less money to stay in NO. Now we have a guy coming to the Spurs for LESS money, willing to work with us on the money to get in more talent, a bargain for a skilled 7 footer, going to fit in well with the team chemistry-wise, undoubtedly going to bust his hump to improve, and some people are ing about him. In ingcredible.
    Ungratefull spoiled beeches.

gospurs21
    sequ is mr opposite guy

anything he says is usually the opposite that turns out to be the truth.

picknroll, I agree a guy willing to work with us moneywise, has heigth, and Pop meets with him on day 1. What's not to like?

Now lets go get Brand and really put the fear into the la geezers.

Go Spurs...

Marcus Bryant
    No contracts have been signed and Spurs fans are already jumping. No surprise.

Ghost Writer
    Yes, I am the self-proclaimed "Cap Master". I leave number-crunching to nerds.

Well, at least we signed someone this offseason. And I am happy we addressed the hole at center.

Now to get in the game with the Clippers.

Marcus Bryant
    Ghost,

First I hope that you are seated.

This is going to come as a shock to you but if you are going to hear it you might as well hear it from me:

YOU ARE A "NERD."

Sincerely,
    Mr. Bryant

Jimcs50
    The Spurs have quite the international flavor now. How many Spurs were born outside the US? Lets see. TD, Kerr, Parker, Rasho and Manu....anyone else? Scola maybe?

junglespur
    Ludden says $42M, not $45M. Maybe a little more spare change to go after Brand with...

NEW: Nesterovic to sign six-year, $42 million deal with Spurs

By Johnny Ludden
    San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 07/15/2003 11:15 AM

Minnesota free-agent center Rasho Nesterovic has committed to signing a six-year contract with the Spurs worth about $42 million, a league source said this morning.
    Spurs officials had yet to receive official notification from Nesterovic, but they had been led to believe he has agreed to sign with the team.

Nesterovic, 27, spent the first five seasons of his NBA career with the Timberwolves. He enjoyed his best season last year, averaging 11.2 points and 6.5 rebounds.

[email protected]

07/15/2003
    mysanantonio

Thread Information