Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. You're confusing that with whatever compromises may have happened post 1996.
    Too bad Trump couldn't be bothered to put his golf clubs down long enough to do anything. white power tweet

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They go together bruh.
    An original is an original. An extension is an extension
    Basic terminology, dude.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An original is an original. An extension is an extension
    Basic terminology, dude.
    Read my statement again.
    If they terminate the extension, we terminate the initial. One was supposed to lead into the other so as to create a smooth transition. They do relate to each other dude. This is very common in international agreements.

Dude.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read my statement again.
    If they terminate the extension, we terminate the initial. One was supposed to lead into the other so as to create a smooth transition. They do relate to each other dude. This is very common in international agreements.

Dude.
    Accept your fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They probably said the same thing when Trump unleashed the military on peaceful Americans in DC

And they will say the same when we reach 100k infections a day tbqh
    They say it already every time they us over with sending us ty stuff, selling y test kits and trying to crush the ing market everywhere with their cheap-ass labor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The disheartening thing about this, IMVHO, is that this is indeed that one time where there's no doubt whatsoever that democracy and freedom is getting destroyed.

The US has intervened and frankly, obliterated, other countries under much more controversial and flimsy excuses (and by this I don't necessarily mean an armed conflict involving NATO is warranted, but simply singling out the hypocrisy here).

I suppose Honk Kong just doesn't have oil and/or is not an ally of Israel, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only thing in this discussion to accept is that you are a knucklehead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The disheartening thing about this, IMVHO, is that this is indeed that one time where there's no doubt whatsoever that democracy and freedom is getting destroyed.

The US has intervened and frankly, obliterated, other countries under much more controversial and flimsy excuses (and by this I don't necessarily mean an armed conflict involving NATO is warranted, but simply singling out the hypocrisy here).

I suppose Honk Kong just doesn't have oil and/or is not an ally of Israel, tbh...
    With the some of the demonstrations going overboard, and especially getting raked by the virus, HK really does not have much of a chance unless we really stepped up and showed we meant it. Not gonna happen with the current admin. No backing from any other country with the orange guy in power. I would not be surprised if the current business types and students that lead the HK resistance against Chinese interference just tell us to go fck ourselves even if we did offer help. We are not exactly a glowing beacon of democracy currently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with what you're saying but I think it's important to note that the Brits only started democratic reform in the mid eighties once negotiations to return HK were underway and really only to create this conflict with China, before then they were happy to segregate, gerrymander, censor press, restrict assembly, appoint officials, etc, and the west was happy to go along. So while I agree that peoples rights are being trampled, I don't think it's especially different from whats happened there the past 200 years or even what goes on most places. Political and economic elite uses police to repress, cheat to keep and expand their power, while the large lower class feels unrepresented and taken advantage of by the political and economic elite.. but because it's COMMUNIST CHINA we have to have extra outrage apparently.
    The only influence the us could have had in this matter was to set the example and win the moral high ground, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Hong Kong is not an independent country and has never been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with what you're saying but I think it's important to note that the Brits only started democratic reform in the mid eighties once negotiations to return HK were underway and really only to create this conflict with China, before then they were happy to segregate, gerrymander, censor press, restrict assembly, appoint officials, etc, and the west was happy to go along. So while I agree that peoples rights are being trampled, I don't think it's especially different from whats happened there the past 200 years or even what goes on most places. Political and economic elite uses police to repress, cheat to keep and expand their power, while the large lower class feels unrepresented and taken advantage of by the political and economic elite.. but because it's COMMUNIST CHINA we have to have extra outrage apparently.
    The only influence the us could have had in this matter was to set the example and win the moral high ground, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Hong Kong is not an independent country and has never been.
    Fair points.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They go together bruh.
    If the Chinese say fck the extension, then we say okay, Hong KOng is autonomous Bruh.
    We treat them as we would Taiwan. The Chinese would not touch them. But that is definitely a dangerous move now because we are in an extremely weak position internationally. We might not even get help from GB.
    I say, Drop twin H-Bombs in the middle of the (East Asian) night, on July 4th U.S. time. One lovely dose of mushroom plutonium for each of Beijing and Pyongyang.

There will never be a greater "Proud To Be An American" moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    extra ironic since the extent of china's communism has been mostly nominal in recent decades

Thread Information