Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 100%-bad-faith, lying pro-Trash / anti-pandemic propaganda is confusing the public mortally, esp the Trash cult mob who are already deeply, totally confused

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now we are being hit by a second wave of infections mostly in states that thought the viral spread would go down in the summer and that economies needed to be more fully opened. Right now We have red team governors scrambling to bring these awful numbers backdown as their decisions are causing a second wave of infections in the US

So what is NOT as it seems?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's because they're mad that Cuomo, an "evil Democrat," was lauded as a hero on "liberal media," while Trump fanboys like DeSantis were heavily criticized, so republican posters feel the reporting wasn't fair. But there was a lot of praise for Mike DeWine and Larry Hogan in the press (https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/polit...hio/index.html). DeSantis deserved all the criticism at the time for not closing down beaches ASAP during Spring Break. Sure, we know a bit more now that Covid might not transmit effectively outdoors, but we didn't know at the time. DeSantis basically backed into good results (so far) by virtue of Florida's natural advantages vs. New York, not by any measures he did, as Florida was one of the last states to issue a stay-at-home order. Florida is currently ing now. First time they've logged a double digit positive rate and hospitalizations have increased by 1500 over the past week, so we'll see what happens.
    Actually, I think it's a lot closer to whataboutism... it's sorta like "you can't blame Trump because look at Cuomo!"... which is really a deflection no matter how you look at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I think it's a lot closer to whataboutism... it's sorta like "you can't blame Trump because look at Cuomo!"... which is really a deflection no matter how you look at it.
    Cuomo? are you talking about the guy that sent recovering covid patients to nursing homes?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50K new cases per day

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm familiar with him, and his "skepticism" has been chuckled at by the likes of the Covid Bad Takes twitter and he'll supposedly block anyone who criticizes him (not confirmed by me).

And here's the problem with that graph in question (I know he's using it to try and prove that Covid has the same natural bell curve trajectory as the flu, which he'll use to argue that the lockdowns weren't necessary and that Covid would've "gone away" on its own, much like the flu. This is what Levitt argued way back when with the Diamond Princess data).

Flu cases are simply estimates any given season and the rate of testing during flu season isn't as prevalent during our current battle with Covid, so the Covid case count would be presumably more accurate. The CDC estimates for flu cases during any given season will have millions between the lower and upper bounds (i.e. 12-35 million estimated cases, etc). And as I've said before, case count isn't really helpful in determining spread nor severity. As I've shown in my graphs above, hospital visits presenting with flu-like illnesses drop beneath the 2 percent threshold by week 12-14. Meanwhile, Covid was accelerating at week 12, on a clear upward trajectory, before the many lockdowns and social distancing measures took effect. If the virus had a "natural lifespan," as the skeptics suggest, you would see a bell curve roll off from week 12 and on. But what we saw was a growing e that was sharply mitigated.

The Arizona data should be an eye-opener here. If you looked at their data around mid-April, you might conclude they are past the peak and rolling off (look how their situation conformed to a bell curve from 2-23 to 4-10). There was a bit of tail into summer, and then they ed after reopening. This should illustrate that this virus has no such natural bell curve lifespan over a specific season like the flu.
    Coronaviruses are seasonal, so they would follow such a curve. Additionally, the manufacturing of data does not allow you to make any conclusion from Arizona or the usa.
    For the millionth time - the way "new" cases are counted is impossible for you to make a point about es.

If they are using deaths hospitalizations and cases from april or even from june 27 and throwing them into new counts on July 3. You cannot argue or claim the curve is false.

It would be beneficial to get a whole look at june and see how this person filters the junk out of the data

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly because the left hasn't really said much about the guy who was in charge of the 10x death count situation and chose, instead, to target the 10x less death count governors or the POTUS because of politics. Let's not pretend Cuomo got any serious here. If Texas and NY numbers were reversed, Cuomo would be the 2nd coming of Christ, more than he already is. The bias here is door to door salesman level rhetoric, it's palpable just how biased these takes are, and how nonsensical if it's about lives instead of politics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also found this site with information and facts similar to this article.

Turns out we did not land on moon!

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144487

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly because the left hasn't really said much about the guy who was in charge of the 10x death count situation and chose, instead, to target the 10x less death count governors or the POTUS because of politics. Let's not pretend Cuomo got any serious here. If Texas and NY numbers were reversed, Cuomo would be the 2nd coming of Christ, more than he already is. The bias here is door to door salesman level rhetoric, it's palpable just how biased these takes are, and how nonsensical if it's about lives instead of politics.
    Like the POTUS has no say.

Crock o' .
    Zero National Leadership for the United States.

United
    my ass

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it sure looks like the red/Confederate states obviously consider the COVID numbers as believable,

as they all reduce or cancel 4th July activities, parks, facilities, beaches.

Even Abbott finally got off his butt and is charging $250 fine for anybody violating mask rules.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100k tests in april to 600k tests currently. With not context of new cases. But the daily case count.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Covid deaths will soon be attributed to anyone who was affected by lockdown. This is not good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the POTUS has no say.

Crock o' .
    Zero National Leadership for the United States.

United
    my ass
    Unwarranted bifurcation.

POTUS having a say doesn't remove culpability from the one in charge of NY. Democrat governors allow rioting to destroy cities, POTUS threatens to step in and liberals here shout fascism. Democrat governors allow 30K people to die because he grouped the weakest together and POTUS doesn't step in, liberals here shout incompetence.

2. No, the president cannot simply order state and local officials to change their policies

Here we have issues that fall under the headings of both federalism and separation of powers. Let’s start with federalism.

Most readers will appreciate this already, but it needs to be said: Our cons utional order has a federal structure, meaning that (a) federal powers are supreme, yes, but limited in scope and (b) the state governments are independent en ies, not mere subordinate layers under and within the federal government (that is, the federal-state relationship is not similar to the way that counties and cities are subordinate layers under the state governments).

What follows from this? The federal government cannot commandeer the machinery of the state governments (or, by extension, of local governments). That is, the federal government cannot coerce the states into taking actions to suit federal policy preference. See, e.g., New York v. United States and Printz v. United States. And so, the federal government cannot compel state and local officials to promulgate different rules on social distancing and the like.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/can-fede...romote-economy

What else are you an expert on because you're absolutely ty at this subject.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now we are being hit by a second wave of infections mostly in states that thought the viral spread would go down in the summer and that economies needed to be more fully opened. Right now We have red team governors scrambling to bring these awful numbers backdown as their decisions are causing a second wave of infections in the US

So what is NOT as it seems?
    this is still the first wave. Cases never dropped low enough to define 1st phase.

I bet we stay in 1st phase through end of the year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Covid deaths will soon be attributed to anyone who was affected by lockdown. This is not good.
    If you're on the left it's great talking point material, November isn't that far away and many are praying for more deaths of people they don't know.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I wished your guy had been competent in the first place. Too bad he's the worst president in US history. That's on you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, I wished your guy had been competent in the first place. Too bad he's the worst president in US history. That's on you.
    You ran the incompetent wife of an impeached POTUS against him. That's on you.

You allowed your party to ass Bernie Sanders, also on you.

You'll still vote for whomever they say. Still on you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You ran the incompetent wife of an impeached POTUS against him. That's on you.
    You support and say Trump is doing a good job after he was impeached. That's on you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You support and say Trump is doing a good job after he was impeached. That's on you.
    I wouldn't run Melania in the primary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't run Melania in the primary.
    You still support Donald.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still support Donald.
    You supported lockdowns

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could say the same about the right, and that really boils down to left and right team fanbois, which will never admit to anything anyways. So I'm not really sure why would anybody get worked up about that.

If we're discussing character, at the very least Cuomo said he takes full responsibility, something completely contrary to POTUS. Now, saying and doing are two different things, that much is clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could say the same about the right, and that really boils down to left and right team fanbois, which will never admit to anything anyways. So I'm not really sure why would anybody get worked up about that.

If we're discussing character, at the very least Cuomo said he takes full responsibility, something completely contrary to POTUS. Now, saying and doing are two different things, that much is clear.
    So it's not about what he did or didn't do, but his TV mea culpa?

And no, you cannot say the same for the right since compared to NY's death total, those states are a walk in the park. There's just this constant tap dance routine back over to blaming the right and causally dismissing the high death states' governments with some fallacious comment about how the POTUS has control over states policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's not about what he did or didn't do, but his TV mea culpa?

And no, you cannot say the same for the right since compared to NY's death total, those states are a walk in the park. There's just this constant tap dance routine back over to blaming the right and causally dismissing the high death states' governments with some fallacious comment about how the POTUS has control over states policies.
    You can absolutely say the same thing for the right... You can pretend the federal government doesn't exist, but it does. NY, which we all agree took the brunt of the deaths (so far anyways), only accounts for 25% of total national deaths.

And the Federal government absolutely has the ability to have control over state policies. Not only that, it actually has the power to supersede them. The tapdancing is pretending that it does not.

Not to mention they're in charge of the coordination of health services (NIH), disease prevention (CDC), drug approval (FDA)... that's their job, and all those agencies happen to run not only at the Federal level, but specifically under the Executive branch through the DHHS.

So let's stop pretending that the bungling and inaction of the POTUS has anything to do with lack of authority. It's simply a false statement.

You can certainly advance that the POTUS picked a strategy (leave it to the States) that eventually worked for some and didn't for others, and then we can discuss whether that was the correct call. But you simply cannot divorce that he could have done more if he wanted to do more, and he had full authority to do so.

As far as character, I largely agree that you need to look at what they do. But whenever somebody botches something, I also think it's important to see what they say.

This is because you have these people still running for office in some capacity (POTUS is running for re-election, I believe Cuomo will continue to have a political career), so character also does matter to an extent.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    covid ifr less than flu in texas Arizona and California

Fact. Lol RandomGuy and TimDunkem

Thread Information