Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing I noticed about left wingers during the coronavirus pandemic is that they cowered in complete fear until they reached their limit then they lashed out with violent protests and total disregard for protecting others from the virus
    That's when the Balous said it was OK to go out.

Bonus points for saying every protest was violent. Honest brokering.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonus points for saying every protest was violent. Honest brokering.
    Oh is it dishonest to generalize about left wingers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh is it dishonest to generalize about left wingers?
    Well, if you want to get specific, I noticed right wingers couldn't bring themselves to say anything critical of President Trump while going out of their way to shame me for buying and wearing masks in general. One tried to shame me for posting a picture of what was later to be determined the wrong kind of mask unless part of that mask was covered in tape when that mask wasn't even purchased.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black guys in nice cars don't get harassed by police?

Interesting take.
    You can't quote me saying that, Sadbert.

Are you just an idiot?

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's a misrepresentation of how I see it, tbh. I'm sure you only seen so many of my posts.
    You're right. Definitely haven't seen many of your posts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If people are concerned - as they should be - about alleviating others suffering, why aren’t “leftists” (I hate that term) having a conversation about how to save small business? Why aren’t liberals insisting on the need to go to restaurants or small shops etc (responsibly and safely) to make sure that they remain in business? I’m painting with broad strokes here, but the post-protest narrative have been “ es caused by reopening” and not “how do we make sure people can still make a living.” If the concern was truly about stopping suffering, I’d imagine that being a broader point of emphasis.
    Well, let's have that convo... I mean you don't need to be a lefty or righty to have that conversation.

IMO, you simply cannot save businesses by just insisting anything. People largely don't want to get infected, period. Be it because they don't want to risk spreading to other, potentially older, people in their families, because they don't have insurance and can't afford to get sick, or simply because they don't want to deal with illness.

I don't think advocacy and good wishes is really a solution here. Same with the long list of unemployed. I see that akin to the notion that charity can replace a social safety net. It's simply not realistic.

Unfortunately, the main reason we're having this conversation is because you know it's next to impossible for this Congress to pass a UBI, or extended unemployment benefits, or even be transparent who are they giving these 'small business' forgivable loans to. And *this is an emergency*... when Wall Street had it's emergency in 2008, they were lining up to bail them out and give them all the money they needed. No such thing for Main Street.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lefties, aka smart people, aren't going to risk their health and lives to keep small businesses from folding.

righties, aka the low-ed, low-wage assholes, are hurting all businesses by making the pandemic much worse than it was in April, PROLONGING the social/economic crisis, and very probably, in some smart states, not the Confederacy, forcing another shutdown.

The ONLY solution is for the Feds to keep printing money For the People, for the unemployed, for SMBs, nothing more for the oligarchy, BigCorp, BigFinance. aka Keynesian counter-cyclical spending to offset the private sector lack of spending.

Congress gave wealthy r/e investors a tax break in CARES for paper losses equal to 13M weeks x $600

Feds and Treasury printed $Ts for BigFinance in the Banksters Great Depression, leaving Main St and 4M homeowners ed.

btw, as awesome as NYC has done in controlling their pandemic, NYC has today postponed indoor dining indefinitely

at Moscow Mitch and Repugs for NOT passing the Dems' HEROES Act. That ain't the lefties' problem.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lefties, aka smart people, aren't going to risk their health and lives to keep small businesses from folding.

righties, aka the low-ed, low-wage assholes, are hurting all businesses by making the pandemic much worse than it was in April, PROLONGING the social/economic crisis, and very probably, in some smart states, not the Confederacy, forcing another shutdown.

cringe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we going to pretend that the left hasn't lost their collective minds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still think Trump's doing a great job. Glass houses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, let's have that convo... I mean you don't need to be a lefty or righty to have that conversation.

IMO, you simply cannot save businesses by just insisting anything. People largely don't want to get infected, period. Be it because they don't want to risk spreading to other, potentially older, people in their families, because they don't have insurance and can't afford to get sick, or simply because they don't want to deal with illness.

I don't think advocacy and good wishes is really a solution here. Same with the long list of unemployed. I see that akin to the notion that charity can replace a social safety net. It's simply not realistic.

Unfortunately, the main reason we're having this conversation is because you know it's next to impossible for this Congress to pass a UBI, or extended unemployment benefits, or even be transparent who are they giving these 'small business' forgivable loans to. And *this is an emergency*... when Wall Street had it's emergency in 2008, they were lining up to bail them out and give them all the money they needed. No such thing for Main Street.
    Well, sure. I guess my point is more a matter of rhetoric than concrete policy. I think there’s borderline rampant hypocrisy on both sides. Righties are wrong to point the finger at protests but then act like wearing a mask is no different than wearing a Star of David. Likewise, lefties are wrong to support the protests but act like someone who goes to a local bar or restaurant is some war criminal who’s killing grandma. My point is that polarization cuts both ways, and is evident from the way we talk about the issue, especially here on the board.

I think some form of UBI is a really good idea. But it’s a necessary not sufficient condition of moving forward. I think that masks should be mandatory. I think the federal government needs to stop abdicating it’s responsibility and coordinate supply chains so that testing ramps up and doesn’t hit supply side issues. I think that the feds also need to begin a public health education program to combat twitterati that think they’ve become epedimioligists overnight.

However, I think that all forms of business need to be opened up to the extent they can. There’s no reason why an outdoor bar should be closed right now. There’s no reason why an outdoor concert should be stopped right now. If we could protest racism for weeks, we can provide people a night out at some approximation of normalcy. Fighting racism is incredibly important and laudable. So is making a living. If we are for one we should be for the other as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ??? what do you mean?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    When was the last time you didn’t think the left had lost its mind? Be honest.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, sure. I guess my point is more a matter of rhetoric than concrete policy. I think there’s borderline rampant hypocrisy on both sides. Righties are wrong to point the finger at protests but then act like wearing a mask is no different than wearing a Star of David. Likewise, lefties are wrong to support the protests but act like someone who goes to a local bar or restaurant is some war criminal who’s killing grandma. My point is that polarization cuts both ways, and is evident from the way we talk about the issue, especially here on the board.

I think some form of UBI is a really good idea. But it’s a necessary not sufficient condition of moving forward. I think that masks should be mandatory. I think the federal government needs to stop abdicating it’s responsibility and coordinate supply chains so that testing ramps up and doesn’t hit supply side issues. I think that the feds also need to begin a public health education program to combat twitterati that think they’ve become epedimioligists overnight.

However, I think that all forms of business need to be opened up to the extent they can. There’s no reason why an outdoor bar should be closed right now. There’s no reason why an outdoor concert should be stopped right now. If we could protest racism for weeks, we can provide people a night out at some approximation of normalcy. Fighting racism is incredibly important and laudable. So is making a living. If we are for one we should be for the other as well.
    I don't agree w everything you said such as mandatory masks but this is what I call compromise or meeting somewhere in between.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What stood out to me is who the snowflakes really are, tbh... amazing tantrums only because you've been asked to wear a mask while in public and near other people...
    my body my choice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think States are trying to balance things as they handle this. ie: here in Cali, dine-in in restaurants have been suspended again due to the recent e in infections, but outdoor dinning (with precautions like social distancing) has not. Sometimes those regulations are even split by county, which I think makes sense, at least, as far as the State can handle things.

The issue with concerts is that it's extremely challenging to enforce safe distancing. Outdoors make sense when people are spread out, but when you have them absolutely packed, it stops making sense. Distancing means less people attending, and then you have to evaluate if it's economically feasible.

Like you said, there's such polarization and stupid people just baiting the other side (I get that it's an election year, but having actual politicos feeding this is irresponsible, tbh), that's difficult for this information to get through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also think it’s more important than ever to take a step back and ask some fundamental questions about the system of government itself. When you look at the es and the amount dead and compare it to other first world countries, there can be no conclusion other than that America failed and failed hard. And that’s directly on our leadership, especially at the federal level. I don’t think there’s any question that the Donald is uniquely ill suited, under qualified, and absolutely unfit for the job. But his ability to us over this hard is directly on a voting public that thinks it more important to drink libcuck tears or Muh Deepstate than to actually evaluate whether someone is capable of leading. This is the flip side of the fact that trump supporters can’t defend his coronavirus response and endlessly deflect to other inane topics.

So what do we do about that? You could impose voting restrictions based on education level. (I’m in favor). You could make political office more appealing to smarter people by ins uting an nba-level pay scale for senior office. You could place qualification requirements on candidates (I.e., education). Or some mixture of all the above. I know that’s profoundly anti-democratic, but we’re living at the opposite end of the spectrum where you’re as qualified as a preeminent epidemiologist if you have a twitter account, apparently. The pandemic and the federal response is direct refutation of the notion that everyone should have a say in how government operates.
    Last edited by vy65; 07-05-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until the left nominates, elects, and approves of someone like Donald Trump to the tune of 90%, they're still ahead in the sanity department.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my body my choice
    ^^^ Snowflake exhibit A... BTW, as I was telling TGY, it's not your body that's being protected here, it's somebody else's.

This is closer to drink & drive. It's not protecting you, it's protecting the people you can potentially kill by your carelessness.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apples and oranges. Covid doesn't kill anywhere near as much as drinking and driving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think States are trying to balance things as they handle this. ie: here in Cali, dine-in in restaurants have been suspended again due to the recent e in infections, but outdoor dinning (with precautions like social distancing) has not. Sometimes those regulations are even split by county, which I think makes sense, at least, as far as the State can handle things.

The issue with concerts is that it's extremely challenging to enforce safe distancing. Outdoors make sense when people are spread out, but when you have them absolutely packed, it stops making sense. Distancing means less people attending, and then you have to evaluate if it's economically feasible.

Like you said, there's such polarization and stupid people just baiting the other side (I get that it's an election year, but having actual politicos feeding this is irresponsible, tbh), that's difficult for this information to get through.
    Agree with much of this. States have to balance this and that doesn’t make sense in a pandemic. Viruses don’t observe state lines. The states have a profound role in handling the response, but the primary responsibility is on the federal government.

I disagree with the concert analogy. And this is my point: if we’re not taking issue with the protests then we shouldn’t take issue with ACL. There’s been several studies that show there has been de minimis transmission from the protests. Outdoor concerts are no different. It’s inconsistent to say outdoor protests where people are packed together are fine while other outdoor events with similar density are not. And things like ACL would provide a massive economic shot in the arm too.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I also think it’s more important than ever to take a step back and ask some fundamental questions about the system of government itself. When you look at the es and the amount dead and compare it to other first world countries, there can be no conclusion other than that America failed and failed hard. And that’s directly on our leadership, especially at the federal level. I don’t think there’s any question that the Donald is uniquely I’ll suited, under qualified, and absolutely unfit for the job. But his ability to us over this hard is directly on a voting public that thinks it more important the drink libcuck tears or Muh Deepstate than to actually evaluate whether someone is capable of leading. This is the flip side of the fact that trump supporters can’t defend his coronavirus response and endlessly deflect to other inane topics.

So what do we do about that? You could impose voting restrictions based on education level. (I’m in favor). You could make political office more appealing to smarter people by ins uting an nba-level pay scale for senior office. You could place qualification requirements on candidates (I.e., education). Or some mixture of all the above. I know that’s profoundly anti-democratic, but we’re living at the opposite end of the spectrum where you’re as qualified as a preeminent epidemiologist if you have a twitter account, apparently. The pandemic and the federal response is direct refutation of the notion that everyone should have a say in how government operates.
    Its never going to happen, but if you simply replaced the electoral college with a popular vote and got rid of a ed up system where Dakota gets twice as many senators as California because of arbitrary borders I think that would take care of it. The ultimate issue is that muh deepstate is overrepreseted because of an outdated cons ution that doesn’t account for massive population disparities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^ Snowflake exhibit A... BTW, as I was telling TGY, it's not your body that's being protected here, it's somebody else's.

This is closer to drink & drive. It's not protecting you, it's protecting the people you can potentially kill by your carelessness.
    my body my choice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apples and oranges. Covid doesn't kill anywhere near as much as drinking and driving.
    That's a blatant excuse. The problem isn't the death count, it's the fact that your own stupidity precludes you from causing damage to other people, so it has to be mandated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my body my choice
    my body my choice
    bot got stuck

Thread Information