Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How many more legit Championships would the Celts have run off if not for Stern and the Lakers making sure Bias od'd?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would have definitely repeated in 87. Bias would have taken a huge load off McHale, who the Celtics ran into the ground that year. I'd like to think he would have extended Bird's career too, but I'm not sure I could see Bird taking a role with less minutes in the regular season to keep fresh for the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would have definitely repeated in 87. Bias would have taken a huge load off McHale, who the Celtics ran into the ground that year. I'd like to think he would have extended Bird's career too, but I'm not sure I could see Bird taking a role with less minutes in the regular season to keep fresh for the playoffs.
    I think he would have TBH

But just a little
    And he difinitely wouldn't sit out 4th quarters unless it's a blowout

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he would have TBH

But just a little
    And he difinitely wouldn't sit out 4th quarters unless it's a blowout
    Bird's kind of stubborn though. For instance, the Celtics told him to quit diving for loose balls and he told them to off, that's how he plays. I think he'd view it as being lazy if the Celtics tried to drop his playing time from 40 minutes a night to 30 minutes a night and I don't think he'd be on board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McHale at part time Center, giving Bob Parish some relief too? Buddy thinks with Bird and Bias at the wings McHale would be fine at C part time.

That way Bob Parish could come in refreshed. Another guy who got worked to many minutes by KC Jones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird's kind of stubborn though. For instance, the Celtics told him to quit diving for loose balls and he told them to off, that's how he plays. I think he'd view it as being lazy if the Celtics tried to drop his playing time from 40 minutes a night to 30 minutes a night and I don't think he'd be on board.
    True true

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    87, 88, (89), 90, 91, 92.

I give them all the remaining Bird years except maybe 89 when Bird was out.
    And even then, they're going to be a 58 win team and be the favorite IMO.

After that, it depends on how the C's are able to retool.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Top YT Comment:

And imagine 87, 88, 89 etc if Bias didn't die. Bird would have had more rings than Magic or Jordan. Isiah Thomas would be a Mark Price.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    None. If crack hadnt killed him it was liable to still make him burn out the league like Chris Wasburn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None. If Stern hadnt killed him
    fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bias and Kobester are right now having a Charmin discussion upstairs, with the big man.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    How many rangs would the Sp*rs have if Stern didn't gift Jim to them in '97? This, despite having a top 50 1st ballot HOFer on the roster still in his prime. SMH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many rangs would the Sp*rs have if Stern didn't gift Jim to them in '97? This, despite having a top 50 1st ballot HOFer on the roster still in his prime. SMH
    So we'll pretend the Lakers never existed?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So we'll pretend the Lakers never existed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many more rings would the Spurss had if Silas hadn't tore his knee up and Moore not contracted Desert Fever? One, maybe two?

I will credit Bias for making me stop doing cocaine. After he died, I was partying with some friends doing coke when I suddenly got a pain in my heart. Never ever dabbled in it since that time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The better question to ask is how many les the Spurs could have won had Uncle Dennis never existed.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The YOUTUBE Basketball Community DWEEBS have been riding hard on the "what if len bias" . "he was jordan's equal" . ect ect.

How many touches is lenny getting on the floor with Bird Mchhale(black hole) Parish? Lynn only progresses if they Trade Mchale or Bird and Red wasn't trading anybody. Don't give me that BS about how The Passing on the Celtics. Your are asking them to increase shots with an aging roster and back then the only way to increase shots per game was to increase the pace.
    He was way better in college than Kawhi ever was. He was athletically superior to Jordan and Kawhi.

Bias would've came along just fine 28-35 MPG in the first season or two.

Bird worked out with Bias. Something he never did with any other rookies. He loved him. It was the first "athlete" he was ever going to play with and he already had three rings.

Bias was going to put up Bird-like numbers at his peak, maybe even better. 30-15-5 was not out of the question.

And he would've saved McHale and all of them minutes and kept them healthy.

Celts only lost 87 cos they were way unhealthy all season and playoffs and they didn't get any upgrades to keep up with Lakers getting Thompson and Green.

Sorry, but your head is way up your ass on this one.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The better question to ask is how many les the Spurs could have won had Uncle Dennis never existed.
    I hear ya, but wasn't Pop part of the problem? I read Kiwi felt disrespected.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This never addresses the issue of "where were the shots coming from"?

I'll repeat.

He'd not be all he could be with out trading Bird or McHale Red Didn't TRADE
    so he'd not be ALL HE COULD BE

or

They retired RED and Traded Bird Or MCHale

Thanks for the Preachers Sermon

but I deal in metrics and facts.
    That's dumb.

Players are more rounded within a strong team framework.

Jordan could be a circus show and score 35 all he wanted.

But he was never winning rings until the level of surrounding talent was at an apex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They retired RED and Traded Bird Or MCHale

Thanks for the Preachers Sermon

but I deal in metrics and facts.
    Reds last year as GM was 1984.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s worth mentioning that Larry Bird told Bill Simmons that he would have retired if Stern didn’t murder Bias

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you don't know where the minutes were gonna come from or you're not sure Red would Trade or Abdicate his power to let the trade happen.

Good to know
    The minutes is a red herring. Bias was going to get enough, progress well, and save the C's from depletion through injuries from being overtaxed.
    Walton and Wedman had went down early, so you're talking about a fourth big. And the C's would play big at time with Bird at the 2 and Ainge or DJ at the 1.

The idea that Bias needed to go to sh** team to advance is sh** on its face. Great teams don't waste elite talent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear ya, but wasn't Pop part of the problem? I read Kiwi felt disrespected.
    From what I have heard the Spurs GM Wright called him out on his injury bs and he got offended. Also Uncle Dennis wanted somewhere around 3-5 percent ownership of the Spurs. Basically #2 and Uncle Dennis was LA bound and was looking for any wiggle room to get there.

Thread Information