Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't have kids and have no idea what you are talking about, as usual. A considerable amount of children don't have internet access in large cities.
    The kids without internet is a tough thing. Maybe provide them air cards?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol 3rd world hole problems

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    You don't have kids and have no idea what you are talking about, as usual. A considerable amount of children don't have internet access in large cities.
    So true.

"Starting the year online will pose challenges, many parents and educators say, including how some students will access instruction without laptops or internet access at home.

Gaps in internet access proved to be one of the biggest hurdles to distance learning after schools closed this spring. In Nashville schools, about 31% of students do not have a computer at home and nearly 20% do not have access to internet."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ts/5383315002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    45% sets 2s "so much skill" bwahahaha

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Public Health Agency of Sweden

Summary
    This report is a comparison between Finland and Sweden, two in many ways similar countries who applied different measures regarding schools during the covid-19 pandemic. There is no difference in the overall incidence of the laboratory confirmed covid-19 cases in the age group 1-19 years in the two countries and the number of laboratory confirmed cases does not fluctuate with school closure or change in testing policy in Finland. In Sweden, the number of laboratory confirmed cases is affected by change in testing policy. Severe covid-19 disease as measured in ICU admittance is very rare in both countries in this age group and no deaths were reported. Outbreak investigations in Finland has not shown children to be contributing much in terms of transmission and in Sweden a report comparing risk of covid-19 in different professions, showed no increased risk for teachers.In conclusion, closure or not of schools had no measurable direct impact on the number of laboratory confirmed cases in school-aged children in Finland orSweden. The negative effects of closing schools must be weighed against the positive indirect effects it might have on the mitigation of the covid-19 pandemic.

Conclusions
    •Closing of schools had no measurable effect on the number of cases of covid-19 among children.
    •Children are not a major risk group of the covid-19 disease and seem to play a less important role from the transmission point of view, although more active surveillance and special studies such as school and household transmission studies are warranted. •The negative effects of closing schools must be weighed against the possible positive indirect effects it might have on the mitigation of the covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/...d-children.pdf

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kids without internet is a tough thing. Maybe provide them air cards?
    I know in Austin they are deploying school buses as mobile WiFi stations, but we will see how it works. Still seems like people would need to gather for it? All the students at my daughters school have Chromebooks, but it is an Arts Academy and I don't know if they will try and pass those out at all levels or not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daycare during the workday and then the parents school at night.
    Who is going to pay for this daycare? The parents? school? Parents are going to work all day, come home and school at night? Right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I didnt say homw school. They would do virtual public school. The parent would only supervise the kids.
    So the parent must be at home to supervise the kids - they can't go to work, right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parents are WFH anyway, so what's the point?
    You think all parents can work/are working from home?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know in Austin they are deploying school buses as mobile WiFi stations, but we will see how it works. Still seems like people would need to gather for it? All the students at my daughters school have Chromebooks, but it is an Arts Academy and I don't know if they will try and pass those out at all levels or not.
    My nieces took home Chromebooks in the spring too and they are in a Northside isd elementary school.

The bus wifi station is interesting. I wonder where they park and for how long

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is going to pay for this daycare? The parents? school? Parents are going to work all day, come home and school at night? Right?
    , even before all this it's always been work all day and then come home and help kids with school work at night.

I was referring to the notion of a few parents watching each other's kids until we flatten the curve enough to get back to school but that's a decent question I don't really have an answer for.

Further, when we send them all back, how will bills get paid when a kid(s) contracts covid and has to quarantine at home with parent supervision for at least two weeks?

There are a lot of unanswered questions in regards to opening brick and mortar schools back up.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, this is 2020, not 2000. Impoverished people get free/subsidized internet these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think all parents can work/are working from home?
    Anyone with a reasonably adult-like job, except for the healthcare industry, is currently WFH... this includes

-Finance
    -HR
    -Inside sales
    -Accounting
    -Marketing
    -Executives
    -IT & Business Analytics
    -Other corporate business people
    -Most stable government jobs

etc.

Healthcare folks... doctors, nurses, pharmacists... law enforcement, etc... sorry y'all have had to put up with a lot.

Anything else not listed, isn't an adult job. Get an adult job.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , even before all this it's always been work all day and then come home and help kids with school work at night.

I was referring to the notion of a few parents watching each other's kids until we flatten the curve enough to get back to school but that's a decent question I don't really have an answer for.

Further, when we send them all back, how will bills get paid when a kid(s) contracts covid and has to quarantine at home with parent supervision for at least two weeks?

There are a lot of unanswered questions in regards to opening brick and mortar schools back up.
    There are all kinds of safety, legal issues concerning parents looking after others' kids - schools are not going to be involved with that. Besides, you have to prove attendance in order to get funding and award credits. During the regular school year (early covid), the state accepted student portal sign on as proof of attendance but that's not good enough for summer school or fall - too easy to get someone to sign on with your password and claim you attended class.

Regarding getting covid - it would be the same as contracting any long or short term health issue - the parents. If long term, school has to make arrangements to continue education.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are all kinds of safety, legal issues concerning parents looking after others' kids - schools are not going to be involved with that. Besides, you have to prove attendance in order to get funding and award credits. During the regular school year (early covid), the state accepted student portal sign on as proof of attendance but that's not good enough for summer school or fall - too easy to get someone to sign on with your password and claim you attended class.

Regarding getting covid - it would be the same as contracting any long or short term health issue - the parents. If long term, school has to make arrangements to continue education.
    How do you think all this was resolved this past spring?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you think all this was resolved this past spring?
    Is that your idea - to continue what was done this past spring. The state will not CONTINUE to give leeway regarding attendance, waivers for testing/requirements/graduation, etc. I think there was a relaxing of work, attendance, testing - basically of everything that keeps kids accountable and learning because of covid. It cannot continue if kids are to be at the level they're supposed to be at or for any diploma to be worth the paper it's printed on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone with a reasonably adult-like job, except for the healthcare industry, is currently WFH... this includes

-Finance
    -HR
    -Inside sales
    -Accounting
    -Marketing
    -Executives
    -IT & Business Analytics

etc.

Healthcare folks... doctors, nurses, pharmacists... law enforcement, etc... sorry y'all have had to put up with a lot.

Or factory jobs or retail or grocery or service or education or manual labor. Or......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or factory jobs or retail or grocery or service or education or manual labor. Or......
    Those are all kid jobs, except for education, which generally falls under the category of "stable government jobs".

Any kid can use their two hands and two legs for labor. That's why they don't pay much or require education or experience. Adult jobs require the use of the most important part of the human body: the brain.

Get an adult job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna have to give teachers hazard pay because kids are one walking/talking virus. Scenario 1: Schools open and kids get infected, what the districts gonna do? Close the schools? Then what? Scenario 2: Homeschool with some school time: not all kids learn the same way. Some trive on tech, others need oral or kinesic instruction...so, how do we measure student success? Scenario 3: Full time home instruction....on avg. adults in the US know about 8th grade math, reading, history...part of the reason we are where we are today...so, what happens with HS kids who parents can't do basic algebra 2?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that your idea - to continue what was done this past spring. The state will not CONTINUE to give leeway regarding attendance, waivers for testing/requirements/graduation, etc. I think there was a relaxing of work, attendance, testing - basically of everything that keeps kids accountable and learning because of covid. It cannot continue if kids are to be at the level they're supposed to be at or for any diploma to be worth the paper it's printed on.
    I don't understand why you think they wouldn't give the same leeway as the spring or figure out a better solution for attendance log in requirements.

What's your idea exactly for what all schools in America should do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna have to give teachers hazard pay because kids are one walking/talking virus. Scenario 1: Schools open and kids get infected, what the districts gonna do? Close the schools? Then what? Scenario 2: Homeschool with some school time: not all kids learn the same way. Some trive on tech, others need oral or kinesic instruction...so, how do we measure student success? Scenario 3: Full time home instruction....on avg. adults in the US know about 8th grade math, reading, history...part of the reason we are where we are today...so, what happens with HS kids who parents can't do basic algebra 2?
    My daughter has used YouTube clips for help with precal and trig, fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

-Finance
    -HR
    -Inside sales
    -Accounting
    -Marketing
    -Executives
    -IT & Business Analytics

etc.

That's some arrogant Karen bull right there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's some arrogant Karen bull right there.
    Snowflakes just can't handle the truth, eh?

Thread Information