Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow imagine bashing the criminal behind the biggest case of medicare fraud the country has ever seen.
    She'll never bash a politician with the mark of the angel (R) aside their name.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kids are reasonably safe from dying.

https://data.cdc.gov/d/9bhg-hcku/visualization

The primary argument is how will it spread it to staff at schools? In Sweden:

We tend to do things on another level of irresponsibility in the US, so if Sweden is having outbreaks in schools that cause shutdowns, what will happen here? My other worry is that while kids are at less risk from dying of Covid vs. the flu, are they at less risk from long term complications? Sure, I think opening schools in sparsely population regions like Montana or whatever is relatively safe, but an inner city in New York presents a different problem.
    It's up to the local school district and its parents - pretty sure just about everywhere offers an online option. Those parents who don't feel comfortable sending their kids - don't. That'll leave more space for social distancing with the kids whose parents CHOOSE to send them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The stunted education and mental health of kids learning from home with ty resources is a legitimate concern tbh. But “just send the poor kids back to school” isn’t a great solution.
    Eyup.

I do think they need to get back into school ASAP. The problem with that though is that in the middle of a hotzone outbreak, it is simply too risky. If you can get your case count under control, and everybody being halfway responsible outside of school, then yeah, send them back.

Seems to be a lot safer for little kids, not so much adolescents. WIth some solid risk mitigation it can probably be done for both groups, but you will have to be a lot more careful with the older kids, and their teachers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, you missed this?

[chicago cops get stuff thrown at them]

NYPD ACCUSED OF DELIBERATELY TARGETING LEGAL OBSERVERS
    https://popularresistance.org/nypd-a...gal-observers/

Denigrated and discredited': how American journalists became targets during protests
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...s-donald-trump

etc.

This goes both ways, and for every cop injured, there is at least one protestor that is injured or worse, often losing eyes to "less lethal" ammunition deployed indescriminately.

Yes, pelting police is bad.

If you can't say police abusing their force is bad too... well you are the problem.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 07-22-2020 at 03:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, you missed this?

The Chicago Police Department’s History of Torture
    Laurence Ralph’s The Torture Letters recounts an extensive history of police abuse and violence in the CPD.

The Chicago Police Department has been synonymous with all of the very worst excesses of law enforcement culture in the United States for decades, its actions exacerbated by a culture of winking, backslapping, and encouragement from elected officials and parts of the community. This is, after all, a culture of policing that considers the murder of Fred Hampton and the clubbing of protesters at the 1968 Democratic National Convention as its high-water marks.

I am a white Chicagoan, one who grew up around cops telling hilarious stories to preteens at block parties about how to beat a suspect without leaving any bruises. Needless to say, there is nothing funny about those stories for those on the receiving end. Laurence Ralph, a Princeton anthropology professor, looks back at some of the Chicago Police Department’s most egregious abuses, including the Jon Burge scandal, which revealed the CPD’s history of using torture techniques against more than 100 suspects—a monumental miscarriage of justice that was an open secret among police, prosecutors, and elected officials in Chicago for decades. The abuse of suspects in CPD custody was widespread and vile, and as Ralph do ents, a direct influence on the more widely publicized abuses that happened during the so-called War on Terror.
    Not sure how much sympathy I have in this case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey some rational thinking:

"AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Tuesday, Austin-Travis County’s top doctor recommended that education leaders prioritize getting younger kids back to school first.

In his weekly briefing with Travis County Commissioners Tuesday, Dr. Mark Escott was clear that there is danger in sending anyone back to school.

He says while data is changing weekly and even daily on the rate at which children contract and spread the virus, the risks to faculty and staff is much, much higher.

“The risk of death in our population in March and April was about 2% for those ages 50 to 59, which is much higher than for students. The risk of hospitalizations is much higher, and we can’t exclude the teachers and the staff, the custodians, the other support staff, administrators when we’re making our decisions about schools. They’re the ones at risk. The parents of those students are at risk. We’ve got to weigh all those things in making a decision.”

Escott says recommendations from the National Academy of Sciencing, Engineering and Medicine suggest first bringing back students in kindergarten through third grade, who most need teacher interaction to develop reading skills, and students in special education classes, who require extra help.

“If we’re going to take risks, those risks have to be very small,” Escott said of returning children to schools. “I think it’s important that we consider a staged rollout of in person schooling, that we take the advice from the National Academies and focus on those students who really must be in a classroom in September and then dial it up from there as the situation allows.”

But Austin ISD’s Union President, Ken Zarifis says even that isn’t a risk most educators are willing to take.

“We understand that the challenges are mighty with families, with the district, and everybody else,” Zarifis said. “But we will not sacrifice our kids, our kindergartners, our six-year-olds, our seven-year-olds, just to see if it’s going to work.”

Zarifis doesn’t deny that at-home learning will create some gaps in education, saying, “This is an extraordinary time. Let’s admit the shortcomings that this COVID-19 presents to education and how we will not meet the typical year’s demands for education.”

However, he says educators can do a better job filling in those gaps and catching students up in the long run if they hone in on executing online learning for now and shift their focus to making sure parents of young and special education students have all the resources they need by the fall.

“Let’s spend our time doing that instead of figuring out how to get kids back into a classroom,” Zarifis said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/...-school-first/

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's up to the local school district and its parents - pretty sure just about everywhere offers an online option. Those parents who don't feel comfortable sending their kids - don't. That'll leave more space for social distancing with the kids whose parents CHOOSE to send them.
    LOL this local control horse from Republicans. You all love one size fits all as long as it's at the state level (in only a red state, not California) or the federal level (only from a Republican president).

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Hey some rational thinking:

"AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Tuesday, Austin-Travis County’s top doctor recommended that education leaders prioritize getting younger kids back to school first.

In his weekly briefing with Travis County Commissioners Tuesday, Dr. Mark Escott was clear that there is danger in sending anyone back to school.

He says while data is changing weekly and even daily on the rate at which children contract and spread the virus, the risks to faculty and staff is much, much higher.

“The risk of death in our population in March and April was about 2% for those ages 50 to 59, which is much higher than for students. The risk of hospitalizations is much higher, and we can’t exclude the teachers and the staff, the custodians, the other support staff, administrators when we’re making our decisions about schools. They’re the ones at risk. The parents of those students are at risk. We’ve got to weigh all those things in making a decision.”

Escott says recommendations from the National Academy of Sciencing, Engineering and Medicine suggest first bringing back students in kindergarten through third grade, who most need teacher interaction to develop reading skills, and students in special education classes, who require extra help.

“If we’re going to take risks, those risks have to be very small,” Escott said of returning children to schools. “I think it’s important that we consider a staged rollout of in person schooling, that we take the advice from the National Academies and focus on those students who really must be in a classroom in September and then dial it up from there as the situation allows.”

But Austin ISD’s Union President, Ken Zarifis says even that isn’t a risk most educators are willing to take.

“We understand that the challenges are mighty with families, with the district, and everybody else,” Zarifis said. “But we will not sacrifice our kids, our kindergartners, our six-year-olds, our seven-year-olds, just to see if it’s going to work.”

Zarifis doesn’t deny that at-home learning will create some gaps in education, saying, “This is an extraordinary time. Let’s admit the shortcomings that this COVID-19 presents to education and how we will not meet the typical year’s demands for education.”

However, he says educators can do a better job filling in those gaps and catching students up in the long run if they hone in on executing online learning for now and shift their focus to making sure parents of young and special education students have all the resources they need by the fall.

“Let’s spend our time doing that instead of figuring out how to get kids back into a classroom,” Zarifis said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/...-school-first/
    rational thinking = ignoring the recommendations from the National Academy of Sciencing, Engineering and Medicine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rational thinking = ignoring the recommendations from the National Academy of Sciencing, Engineering and Medicine
    You're an illiterate re , not worth wasting discussion time on, tbh. Just gonna treat you like derp and tholderp, fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NM. figured out what you meant.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    You're an illiterate re , not worth wasting discussion time on, tbh. Just gonna treat you like derp and tholderp, fwiw.
    Then state who you think had the rational thinking, Dr. Mark Escott or Union President Ken Zarifis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then state who you think had the rational thinking, Dr. Mark Escott or Union President Ken Zarifis?
    Both, dumbass.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The Union President ignoring the recommendations from the National Academy of Sciencing, Engineering and Medicine is rational?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Union President ignoring the recommendations from the National Academy of Sciencing, Engineering and Medicine is rational?
    Oh right, you don't fully understand the NASEM recommendations. Figures.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if those academies have been polluted with Trash/Repug political hacks, then they have, like Trash and his mafiya, NO credibility

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol you didn't know ny opened schools

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol you didn't know ny opened schools
    thldren lost track about what he's supposed to be lying about.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren lost track about what he's supposed to be lying about.
    Kansas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren realizes he's in trouble so he changes the subject immediately.

He is not interested in science.

He will never show his math.

He only wants to get back at the people who saw him clown himself in March.

He will now begin a spectacular meltdown.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren realizes he's in trouble so he changes the subject immediately.

He is not interested in science.

He will never show his math.

He only wants to get back at the people who saw him clown himself in March.

He will now begin a spectacular meltdown.
    bwahahahahahahahah

Bwahahahaahahahaha

Bwhahahaahahah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bwahahahahahahahah

Bwahahahaahahahaha

Bwhahahaahahah
    Wrong

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at least el nono knows

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bwahahahahahahahah

Bwahahahaahahahaha

Bwhahahaahahah
    Your meltdown has begun.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your meltdown has begun.
    Lol you just said there is science that differs in differet countries. LololooIol

That's blake level. TimDunkem level. RandomGuy level.

Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol you just said there is science that differs in differet countries. LololooIol

That's blake level. TimDunkem level. RandomGuy level.

Lol
    Wow you're really looking up at a lot of posters

Thread Information