Page 18 of 78 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida COVID-19 cases top a quarter million

Cases of COVID-19 in Florida pushed past a quarter million Saturday, as the state reported 10,383 additional people with the disease.The state posted 95 additional deaths.

Neither total is a record, but both reflect the worsening trends of the past two weeks. The record for deaths was set Thursday, with 120.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, whose aggressive push to reopen Florida has proved controversial,

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/flo...arter-million/

Was there this scrutiny and criticism of New York when its record for daily death was set at 597? And yes, I know Florida's daily death will go higher but I doubt it will reach New York's. And the number of cases (unreliable [comparison] as it is since we're testing way more) is 10,383 compared to New York's 6378.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    SAISD is talking about holding classes in the gym - -everyone spread out. Eliminating obvious easy spreading vehicles like P.E. class. Of course you guys are now the mask police and also have to remind kids to sanitize their hands constantly. Yeah right

Supposed to be some virtual district meeting here on Tuesday where employees voice their concerns. I would be shocked if the start date doesn't get pushed back a month or so here. Maybe in Houston as well.

man they don’t even put away their cell phones I can’t see them just sitting pretty with their masks singing Kumbaya. Thing that TSA doesn’t get us that it’s not like we only teach 5 year olds. I teach teens and they certainly get Covid and pass on Covid. I know this bc of all the prom parties back in May in Katy where everyone got sick and infected everyone else. And every class is over populated here. I got 38 kids in one class and average 33. That’s a lot of people in a small space. HoustonISD is the most underfunded place I’ve ever seen. makes SaISD and SouthSan look good. It’s not like the kids will be able to get tested, I don’t even think the staff will get tested either. It’s a Petri dish here and I’m the experiment

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it looks like this link is for New York City - not the whole state of New York? Too tired to confirm - sorry - ah, work tomorrow :-(

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was there this scrutiny and criticism of New York when its record for daily death was set at 597? And yes, I know Florida's daily death will go higher but I doubt it will reach New York's. And the number of cases (unreliable [comparison] as it is since we're testing way more) is 10,383 compared to New York's 6378.

I hope you're right, but these posts have rarely aged well in the covid era...

At least Florida is getting help from New York, both on drugs and equipment, but more importantly, experience.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

20 percent of covid deaths not confirmed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whataboutism.

New York made mistakes but gets way more slack for having dealt with it first.

Florida and Texas get no slack for their deaths. Everyone in the medical field begged them not to reopen so quickly.

these two garbage piece of governors and you for the subtle partisan finger pointing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you're right, but these posts have rarely aged well in the covid era...

At least Florida is getting help from New York, both on drugs and equipment, but more importantly, experience.
    The conservative deflection to New York is a cheap move. "B-B-But the nursing homes." When New York was surging, they needed to do something with recovered patients who were occupying bed space. The only choice in a hectic situation like that is to send them to facility where they can be further tended to, since you just don't jump out of the bed when you recover from this virus.

There is an urgent need to expand hospital capacity in New York State to be able to meet the demand for patients with COVID-19 requiring acute care. As a result, this directive is being issued to clarify expectations for nursing homes (NHs) receiving residents returning from hospitalization and for NHs accepting new admissions.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ne...es-ship-empty/

The directive was intended to help free up hospital beds for the sickest patients as cases surged. But several relatives, patient advocates and nursing administrators who spoke to the AP at the time blamed the policy for helping to spread the virus among the state’s most fragile residents. To date, more than 6,400 deaths have been linked to the coronavirus in New York’s nursing home and long-term care-facilities.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7145722/c...nursing-homes/

DeSantis hasn't really been forced to make any tough decisions throughout this ordeal, since no FL region ever saw a surge close to what New York was experiencing. He kind of fumbled his way through everything and lucked out that spread wasn't prevalent during that time, probably due to the weather (temperature was perfect enough to keep people outdoors and moving around, while during Summer, people are driven into air conditioned environments. Why we're seeing such the massive outbreak in AZ) and of course smaller population density. But he'll sure as is going to have to make some tough decisions now, and what does he do? Allows Disney World to reopen

He's been incompetent throughout all of this, but FL probably won't see the same death toll as NY, since the state has built in advantages that NY doesn't, but DeSantis will cause a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering, not because he made a tough decision that backfired (like the nursing home situation) because he's making idiotic decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whataboutism.

New York made mistakes but gets way more slack for having dealt with it first.

Florida and Texas get no slack for their deaths. Everyone in the medical field begged them not to reopen so quickly.

these two garbage piece of governors and you for the subtle partisan finger pointing.
    Newsom caved to "muh economy" here, too. CA is still doing much better than TX, AZ, and FL, with an 8 percent positive rate over this week, but these trends can change in a hurry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The conservative deflection to New York is a cheap move. "B-B-But the nursing homes." When New York was surging, they needed to do something with recovered patients who were occupying bed space. The only choice in a hectic situation like that is to send them to facility where they can be further tended to, since you just don't jump out of the bed when you recover from this virus.
    This is the kind of move by DeSantis which tells you all you need to know about the guy:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-...ciated-1299771

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will the NY Senators do a Rick Scott and say "We don't want to pay for FL's C19 crisis"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One-Third of All Coronavirus Tests Came Back Positive

in Miami-Dade County on Thursday

https://gizmodo.com/one-third-of-all...ign=2020-07-13

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA cannot re-open schools and economy until the pandemic is under control

USA Repug MISgovernance has provoked the pandemic to explode

Meanwhile, seeing what a historic storm they have created, Trash + mafiya are scapegoating/blaming Fauci.

Repugs have ED the USA, so the Repugs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The press has blown it all out of proportion. I live right here in Miami-Dade - do my shopping here, talk to neighbors/friends/relatives/co-workers - and I'm telling you that the people are fed up with this lockdown and are going about their lives. Local traffic (not so much highway) is horrendous - not as bad as pre-Covid days but pretty bad. Most people wear masks (at least where I go - Publix, Costco) but some improperly (below their nose). Expect the numbers to remain high.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DeSantis hasn't really been forced to make any tough decisions throughout this ordeal, since no FL region ever saw a surge close to what New York was experiencing. He kind of fumbled his way through everything and lucked out that spread wasn't prevalent during that time, probably due to the weather (temperature was perfect enough to keep people outdoors and moving around, while during Summer, people are driven into air conditioned environments. Why we're seeing such the massive outbreak in AZ) and of course smaller population density. But he'll sure as is going to have to make some tough decisions now, and what does he do? Allows Disney World to reopen

He's been incompetent throughout all of this, but FL probably won't see the same death toll as NY, since the state has built in advantages that NY doesn't, but DeSantis will cause a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering, not because he made a tough decision that backfired (like the nursing home situation) because he's making idiotic decisions.
    Wrong. Hospitals created wings for.Covid-19 patients. Cities created make shift hospitals they never used. Ny over half death from govt fail.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweden and finland study.

Closure of schools had no measurable impact on cases in students.

https://t.co/fukFYFK77e?amp=1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dave Thomas 9 hrs facebook

Questions for School Openings:

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a subs ute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for subs ute pay?

• Subs utes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?

• What is this stress going to do to our teachers? How does it affect their health and well-being? How does it affect their ability to teach? How does it affect the quality of education they are able to provide? What is it going to do to our kids? What are the long-term effects of consistently being stressed out?

• How will it affect students and faculty when the first teacher in their school dies from this? The first parent of a student who brought it home? The first kid?

• How many more people are going to die, that otherwise would not have if we had stayed home longer?

30% of the teachers in the US are over 50.

About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

We are choosing to put our teachers in danger.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dave Thomas 9 hrs facebook

Questions for School Openings:

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a subs ute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for subs ute pay?

• Subs utes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?

• What is this stress going to do to our teachers? How does it affect their health and well-being? How does it affect their ability to teach? How does it affect the quality of education they are able to provide? What is it going to do to our kids? What are the long-term effects of consistently being stressed out?

• How will it affect students and faculty when the first teacher in their school dies from this? The first parent of a student who brought it home? The first kid?

• How many more people are going to die, that otherwise would not have if we had stayed home longer?

30% of the teachers in the US are over 50.

About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

We are choosing to put our teachers in danger.

Why all this concern over teachers? Their clientele is less susceptible to covid than the general population you see at the supermarket, doctor/dentist office, Walmart, Costco, etc. and no one's so worried about those employees.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It is this over exaggeration of the press - blowing this all out of proportion and the result is people painting the entire state with the same brush. Disney (of which we have been Florida resident pass holders for MANY years) is an excellent company which by all accounts have done an outstanding job in social distancing, spacing, pre-cautions for Covid. They will not open themselves up for lawsuits and you can be sure their procedures (the place is run seamlessly even when super crowded) are top-notch.

Gosh, it's almost like some of you want everywhere shut down - no matter what precautions are taken.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same straw man every time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same straw man every time.
    Expect push back when the criticism is unfounded - Disney is a top-notch run company - no employee without a smile, none of the typical employee snafu, a MAGICAL experience even when it's hot and the lines are long (pre-covid). There is no reason to expect that they will not ensure the safety of their customers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is this over exaggeration of the press - blowing this all out of proportion and the result is people painting the entire state with the same brush. Disney (of which we have been Florida resident pass holders for MANY years) is an excellent company which by all accounts have done an outstanding job in social distancing, spacing, pre-cautions for Covid. They will not open themselves up for lawsuits and you can be sure their procedures (the place is run seamlessly even when super crowded) are top-notch.

Gosh, it's almost like some of you want everywhere shut down - no matter what precautions are taken.
    Going to Disneyworld to hug Mickey isn't an essential activity right now in a state that is swarming with Covid. If FL crushed their curve like Australia or something, then sure.

Seems you're more bothered by the fact the criticism is directed toward a company you like (which is one of the biggest heel corporations on the planet) than the public health implications of reopening the park.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expect push back when the criticism is unfounded - Disney is a top-notch run company - no employee without a smile, none of the typical employee snafu, a MAGICAL experience even when it's hot and the lines are long (pre-covid). There is no reason to expect that they will not ensure the safety of their customers.
    I expect nonstop fallacies from Team Trump.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Betsy DeVos Promises to Protect Children from Education

WASHINGTON, D.C. —Betsy DeVos vowed on Sunday to do everything in her power as Secretary of Education to protect the nation’s children from education.

In an interview on CNN, DeVos said many parents were “understandably concerned” that,

if their children return to school in the fall, they might be exposed to learning.

“That will not happen on my watch,”
    she promised.

“We are working around the clock at the Department of Education

to keep your children safe from comprehension.

DeVos said that her staff had drafted strict distancing measures

to ensure that America’s students are as distanced as possible from anything resembling a curriculum

when they return to school.

“If it means eliminating books, computers, or even teachers, your kids will be distanced,” she said.

Raising a worst-case scenario, DeVos said that,

if knowledge is somehow transmitted to students, “I will shut down that school in a minute.”

“We will be doing a lot of testing,” DeVos said.

“If students’ test scores somehow go up, then I have failed.”

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/betsy-devos-promises-to-protect-children-from-education

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No employee without a smile.

Smiling on the outside while dying on the inside having to act phony for en led tourists and their brats while making 14 bucks a hour.

Thread Information