Page 17 of 78 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I’m an epidemiologist and a dad. Here’s why I think schools should reopen.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/9/2131856...ning-questions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Distance education and internet learning are not available to many poor kids. I thought the Democratic party was the champion of the poor?

Gaps in internet access proved to be one of the biggest hurdles to distance learning after schools closed this spring. In Nashville schools, about 31% of students do not have a computer at home and nearly 20% do not have access to the internet.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ts/5383315002/

In Metro Schools, 31% of students, or more than 22,250, do not have a computer at home, and about 14%, or 10,000 students, do not have wireless internet.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ll/5240364002/
    "New federal legislation is looking to modernize an aging government assistance program aimed at telephones by turning it into a way for low-income consumers to access broadband internet. The Broadband Adoption Act of 2013 was introduced to the House of Representatives yesterday and would update Lifeline, an FCC-run program that offers subsidized phone service to citizens near the poverty line or enrolled in select government programs such as Medicaid. Under the new legislation, Lifeline would offer the option between discounted telephone, mobile, and internet services. The bill is supported by outgoing FCC chairman Julius Genachowski and was introduced by three Democratic representatives of California, Doris Matsui, Henry Waxman, and Anna Eshoo......

https://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4...rnet-discounts

April 24, 2013

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bangladesh

And 1.2 million? We arebalready at 1/2 million covid carcasses and it hasnt even started in 3rd world holes (beside the US)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "New federal legislation is looking to modernize an aging government assistance program aimed at telephones by turning it into a way for low-income consumers to access broadband internet. The Broadband Adoption Act of 2013 was introduced to the House of Representatives yesterday and would update Lifeline, an FCC-run program that offers subsidized phone service to citizens near the poverty line or enrolled in select government programs such as Medicaid. Under the new legislation, Lifeline would offer the option between discounted telephone, mobile, and internet services. The bill is supported by outgoing FCC chairman Julius Genachowski and was introduced by three Democratic representatives of California, Doris Matsui, Henry Waxman, and Anna Eshoo......

https://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4...rnet-discounts

April 24, 2013
    "Released: Broadband Adoption and Opportunity Act
    by Caitlin Schwartz | Jul 7, 2020 | Digital Inclusion News

Congressman Tom O’Halleran (AZ-01) introduced the Broadband Adoption and Opportunity Act: bipartisan legislation to leverage public-private partnerships to refurbish internet-capable devices for students and underserved families through donation, lending, or low-cost purchasing programs. The bill is co-sponsored by Congressman Bill Johnson (OH-06).....

https://www.digitalinclusion.org/blo...portunity-act/

For at least 7 years Democrats having been trying. I wonder what the hold up has been....

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't conversed with TSA as much as you all, and wasn't around for him promoting Pizzagate, but I think he's rather reasonable. I think he trolls with like Pizzagate for the sake of pissing off liberals. I would guess he's a hold-your-nose Trump voter and voted for him for the tax breaks and his gun control position. He probably acts as Trump fanboy to, again, irritate Liberals. Trump is a piece of dog , but I'd vote for the Liberal version of Trump if it meant said dog politician would raise taxes on the rich and usher in universal healthcare.
    LOL no.

No reasonable person spends that much time and effort "trolling."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"...I serve on the reopening committee for my synagogue and for my school district. I consult for businesses as they reopen...."

Hmm

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To do this well, and to do it safely, we must have school-based Covid-19 symptom screening, testing, contact tracing, and isolation. “School-based testing” does not mean that the test themselves must occur in school buildings. “School-based testing” means that students and teachers can easily access a test by contacting the school, and that the results of those tests are sent directly to the school district in real time.

That seems straightforward, but it is not. The community does not yet have adequate testing, contact tracing, or isolation. Schools currently have nothing.

It requires building new capacity in schools for testing and contact tracing. It requires a budget. It requires a formal plan. Ideally, that budget should come from the federal government and be directed to states and ultimately school districts, as part of a national Covid-19 testing strategy. Realistically, given the lack of any such national plan, the funds need to come from individual states.

Schools are going to open with none of this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"We need school-based Covid-19 symptom screening, testing, contact tracing, and isolation. Opening without a plan to test is irresponsible and a gamble with our children’s health...."

I haven't seen any plans to test from any school districts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "symptom screening, testing, contact tracing, and isolation"

all labor and equipment intensive, who supplies both, and who pays?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    This is utter bull . I can say the same. I come from a family made up of educators (teachers, principals, district employees, etc) and they're scared. Several are contemplating resignation. You call yourself an a former teacher? Then tell me how you plan to keep an 8 y/o child to keep his/her mask on, social distancing from peers, putting things in his mouth, washing their hands thoroughly? Kids are kids and they can't rationalize the severity of what's going on like an adult to a restaurant or a store you ing moron.

And I've asked this question before from you stupid ass trump ers with no response; please point to the data that indicates increased death rates due to lock downs or economic downturns because right now the virus has about 130k lead on that bull theory.
    bull theory

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2767980

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768086

Many years ago, one of my duties as a young surgical intern was to fill out death certificates for recently deceased patients. Under “cause of death,” Part I asked for the immediate cause, other conditions leading to it, and the underlying cause. Part II asked for “other significant conditions contributing to death but not resulting in the underlying cause given in Part I.” If you think this is confusing, you’re right. Did the post-operative patient found dead in bed really die of a heart attack, a pulmonary embolism, or some operative complication, like bleeding? Where do you list their colon cancer or hypertension?

The task has not gotten any easier during the Covid-19 pandemic. People are still dying of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and accidents. But now there is a new respiratory illness to account for. Not every decedent who tested positive for the virus that causes Covid-19 died from it—in fact, the disease is mild for most people. Conversely, some deaths due to Covid-19 may be erroneously assigned to other causes of death because the people were never tested, and Covid-19 was not diagnosed. Nearly everyone dying of Covid-19 has concurrent health problems—the average decedent has 2.5 co-morbid conditions—and hypertension, heart disease, respiratory diseases, and diabetes are among the most common. The presence and interaction of these co-morbid conditions is what sometimes changes Covid-19 from a relatively benign disease into a killer. But co-morbidities can also cause death regardless of Covid-19.

A common way to distinguish the mortality burden of a new infectious agent from other causes of death is to estimate the excess deaths that occurred beyond what would be expected if the pathogen had not circulated. A recent study of 48 states and the District of Columbia estimated 122,300 excess deaths during the pandemic period of March 1 to May 30, compared with expected deaths calculated from the previous five years. Deaths officially attributed to Covid-19 accounted for 78 percent of the total; approximately 27,000 deaths (22 percent) were not attributed to Covid-19. A second study, using the same database with different statistical methods for the period March 1 to April 25, found that 65 percent of 87,000 excess deaths were attributed to Covid-19.

Only part of the discrepancy between excess deaths and official Covid deaths results from undercounting of Covid deaths. In New York City, when excess deaths between March 11 (the first recorded Covid-19 death) and May 2 were examined, only 57 percent had laboratory-confirmed Covid-19. Yet when probable deaths—deaths for which Covid-19, SARS-CoV-2, or an equivalent term was listed on the death certificate as an immediate, underlying, or contributing cause of death, but that did not have laboratory confirmation of Covid-19—were added in, 22 percent of excess deaths were still not attributed to Covid-19.

The indirect effect of the pandemic—deaths caused by the social and economic responses to the pandemic, including lockdowns—appears to explain the balance. For instance, people delayed needed medical care because they were instructed to shelter in place, were too scared to go to the doctor, or were unable to obtain care because of limitations on available care, including a moratorium on elective procedures.

Inpatient admissions nationwide in VA hospitals, the nation’s largest hospital system, were down 42 percent for six emergency conditions—stroke, myocardial infarction (MI), heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, appendicitis, and pneumonia—during six weeks of the Covid-19 pandemic (March 11 to April 21) compared with the six weeks immediately prior (January 29 to March 10). The drop was significant for all six conditions and ranged from a decrease of 40 percent for MI to 57 percent for appendicitis. No such decrease in admissions was found for the same six-week period in 2019. These emergency conditions did not become any less lethal as a result of the pandemic; rather, people simply died from acute illnesses that would have been treated in normal times.

Deaths from chronic, non-emergent conditions also increased as patients put off maintenance visits and their medical conditions deteriorated. In the second study of excess deaths, the five states with the most Covid-19 deaths from March through April (Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania), experienced large proportional increases in deaths from non-respiratory underlying causes, including diabetes (96 percent), heart diseases (89 percent), Alzheimer’s disease (64 percent), and cerebrovascular diseases (35 percent). New York City—the nation’s Covid-19 epicenter during that period—experienced the largest increases in non-respiratory deaths, notably from heart disease (398 percent) and diabetes (356 percent).

Cancer diagnoses were delayed for months as patients were unable to obtain “elective” screening procedures. For some, this will result in more advanced disease. Diagnosed cancer cases—normally treated with surgery or inpatient medical treatments—were treated with outpatient treatments instead. While some oncologists rationalized that the results might be just as good, physicians were clearly deviating from the standard of care.

The lockdowns led to wide unemployment and economic recession, resulting in increased drug and alcohol abuse and increases in domestic abuse and suicides. Most studies in a systematic literature review found a positive association between economic recession and increased suicides. Data from the 2008 Great Recession showed a strong positive correlation between increasing unemployment and increasing suicide in middle aged (45–64) people. Ten times as many people texted a federal government disaster mental-distress hotline in April 2020 as in April 2019.

As we consider how to deal with resurgent numbers of Covid cases, we must acknowledge that mitigation measures like shelter-in-place and lockdowns appear to have contributed to the death toll. The orders were issued by states and localities in late March; excess deaths peaked in the week ending April 11. Reopening began in mid-April, and by May 20 all states that had imposed orders started to lift restrictions. In June, as the economy continued reopening, excess deaths waned.

Our focus must be on ensuring that the health-care system can simultaneously treat Covid-19 and other maladies and reassuring patients that it is safe to seek care. Otherwise, today’s young physicians will have to start entering a new cause of death on death certificates—“public policy.”

https://www.city-journal.org/deadly-...kdown-policies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reopening began in mid-April, and by May 20 all states that had imposed orders started to lift restrictions. In June, as the economy continued reopening, excess deaths waned.
    the states that had imposed orders cut down their COVID cases.

How is that not even a factor for lower excess deaths to this dude?

Find someone who is not trying to confirm his bias. Thanks in advance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget every single class is going to have one asshole who thinks it's funny to go cough on the teacher, cough on the girl next to him, and so on. Haha, I killed the teacher.
    man they don’t even put away their cell phones I can’t see them just sitting pretty with their masks singing Kumbaya. Thing that TSA doesn’t get us that it’s not like we only teach 5 year olds. I teach teens and they certainly get Covid and pass on Covid. I know this bc of all the prom parties back in May in Katy where everyone got sick and infected everyone else. And every class is over populated here. I got 38 kids in one class and average 33. That’s a lot of people in a small space. HoustonISD is the most underfunded place I’ve ever seen. makes SaISD and SouthSan look good. It’s not like the kids will be able to get tested, I don’t even think the staff will get tested either. It’s a Petri dish here and I’m the experiment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Miami-Dade County Public Schools won’t be able to reopen schools, as a new state order calls for, if the county is still in its Phase 1 reopening stage, which county leaders are tightening due to a surge of COVID-19 cases, Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho said Tuesday.

If conditions continue on the same upward trajectory — Florida’s confirmed COVID-19 cases have doubled in the past two weeks to more than 213,000 — Carvalho said in an interview with the Herald that he did not foresee MDCPS “being able to resume schooling in a traditional way.”

If the county is still in Phase 1 by the start of school Aug. 24, as it is now, schooling would be held entirely online.....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...244063802.html

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't Miami-Dade have a 33% positivity rate today? Think I saw that on the news about 20 minutes ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't Miami-Dade have a 33% positivity rate today? Think I saw that on the news about 20 minutes ago.
    That was yesterday.

Not sure about today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was yesterday.

Not sure about today
    It was 28% today. Not much better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "....But the state’s [Texas] public health guidance does not give teachers an avenue to opt out like parents can, and says little about how school districts should protect the teachers and staff who are more vulnerable than children to dying from the virus — leaving those decisions largely up to locals.

The extreme political pressure on school districts to keep their buildings open, even as the number of COVID-19 cases in Texas hits day-after-day record highs, is terrifying for educators and school staff who may have to put their health at risk to keep their jobs.

“Teachers at this point we’re ready to put our collective foot down and we’re not going to be bullied into going back into an unsafe situation,” said Traci Dunlap, an Austin ISD kindergarten teacher. “Unfortunately, I have a lot of colleagues around the state that are talking about resigning, retiring, retiring early, leaving the teaching profession.

Particularly galling for some teachers is the TEA's own behavior. Even as the agency compels teachers back to the classroom, its own offices remain all-but-closed with most staff working from home to protect their own health. As of July, agency staff have had the option to return to the office building on a “voluntary basis” and the TEA is working on next steps for “later this summer and beyond,” according to a written statement from the agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teach kids in bars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bull theory

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2767980

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768086

Many years ago, one of my duties as a young surgical intern was to fill out death certificates for recently deceased patients. Under “cause of death,” Part I asked for the immediate cause, other conditions leading to it, and the underlying cause. Part II asked for “other significant conditions contributing to death but not resulting in the underlying cause given in Part I.” If you think this is confusing, you’re right. Did the post-operative patient found dead in bed really die of a heart attack, a pulmonary embolism, or some operative complication, like bleeding? Where do you list their colon cancer or hypertension?

The task has not gotten any easier during the Covid-19 pandemic. People are still dying of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and accidents. But now there is a new respiratory illness to account for. Not every decedent who tested positive for the virus that causes Covid-19 died from it—in fact, the disease is mild for most people. Conversely, some deaths due to Covid-19 may be erroneously assigned to other causes of death because the people were never tested, and Covid-19 was not diagnosed. Nearly everyone dying of Covid-19 has concurrent health problems—the average decedent has 2.5 co-morbid conditions—and hypertension, heart disease, respiratory diseases, and diabetes are among the most common. The presence and interaction of these co-morbid conditions is what sometimes changes Covid-19 from a relatively benign disease into a killer. But co-morbidities can also cause death regardless of Covid-19.

A common way to distinguish the mortality burden of a new infectious agent from other causes of death is to estimate the excess deaths that occurred beyond what would be expected if the pathogen had not circulated. A recent study of 48 states and the District of Columbia estimated 122,300 excess deaths during the pandemic period of March 1 to May 30, compared with expected deaths calculated from the previous five years. Deaths officially attributed to Covid-19 accounted for 78 percent of the total; approximately 27,000 deaths (22 percent) were not attributed to Covid-19. A second study, using the same database with different statistical methods for the period March 1 to April 25, found that 65 percent of 87,000 excess deaths were attributed to Covid-19.

Only part of the discrepancy between excess deaths and official Covid deaths results from undercounting of Covid deaths. In New York City, when excess deaths between March 11 (the first recorded Covid-19 death) and May 2 were examined, only 57 percent had laboratory-confirmed Covid-19. Yet when probable deaths—deaths for which Covid-19, SARS-CoV-2, or an equivalent term was listed on the death certificate as an immediate, underlying, or contributing cause of death, but that did not have laboratory confirmation of Covid-19—were added in, 22 percent of excess deaths were still not attributed to Covid-19.

The indirect effect of the pandemic—deaths caused by the social and economic responses to the pandemic, including lockdowns—appears to explain the balance. For instance, people delayed needed medical care because they were instructed to shelter in place, were too scared to go to the doctor, or were unable to obtain care because of limitations on available care, including a moratorium on elective procedures.

Inpatient admissions nationwide in VA hospitals, the nation’s largest hospital system, were down 42 percent for six emergency conditions—stroke, myocardial infarction (MI), heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, appendicitis, and pneumonia—during six weeks of the Covid-19 pandemic (March 11 to April 21) compared with the six weeks immediately prior (January 29 to March 10). The drop was significant for all six conditions and ranged from a decrease of 40 percent for MI to 57 percent for appendicitis. No such decrease in admissions was found for the same six-week period in 2019. These emergency conditions did not become any less lethal as a result of the pandemic; rather, people simply died from acute illnesses that would have been treated in normal times.

Deaths from chronic, non-emergent conditions also increased as patients put off maintenance visits and their medical conditions deteriorated. In the second study of excess deaths, the five states with the most Covid-19 deaths from March through April (Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania), experienced large proportional increases in deaths from non-respiratory underlying causes, including diabetes (96 percent), heart diseases (89 percent), Alzheimer’s disease (64 percent), and cerebrovascular diseases (35 percent). New York City—the nation’s Covid-19 epicenter during that period—experienced the largest increases in non-respiratory deaths, notably from heart disease (398 percent) and diabetes (356 percent).

Cancer diagnoses were delayed for months as patients were unable to obtain “elective” screening procedures. For some, this will result in more advanced disease. Diagnosed cancer cases—normally treated with surgery or inpatient medical treatments—were treated with outpatient treatments instead. While some oncologists rationalized that the results might be just as good, physicians were clearly deviating from the standard of care.

The lockdowns led to wide unemployment and economic recession, resulting in increased drug and alcohol abuse and increases in domestic abuse and suicides. Most studies in a systematic literature review found a positive association between economic recession and increased suicides. Data from the 2008 Great Recession showed a strong positive correlation between increasing unemployment and increasing suicide in middle aged (45–64) people. Ten times as many people texted a federal government disaster mental-distress hotline in April 2020 as in April 2019.

As we consider how to deal with resurgent numbers of Covid cases, we must acknowledge that mitigation measures like shelter-in-place and lockdowns appear to have contributed to the death toll. The orders were issued by states and localities in late March; excess deaths peaked in the week ending April 11. Reopening began in mid-April, and by May 20 all states that had imposed orders started to lift restrictions. In June, as the economy continued reopening, excess deaths waned.

Our focus must be on ensuring that the health-care system can simultaneously treat Covid-19 and other maladies and reassuring patients that it is safe to seek care. Otherwise, today’s young physicians will have to start entering a new cause of death on death certificates—“public policy.”

https://www.city-journal.org/deadly-...kdown-policies
    Not sure what argument you're trying to make here. But I work for multiple hospital systems. People who are not tending to medical emergencies aren't due to lockdowns or economic turn downs. They're not showing up because they're scared of catching the virus. Why? Because that's where COVID pts are being treated and no one wants to be admitted for fear of catching it. But go ahead and keep thinking you know what's really going on because you found a couple of articles that sorta kinda back up your bull theory.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    T G I F!

Florida governor finally releases the true numbers of people hospitalized with coronavirus

7,000 Floridians are in hospitals hoping they survive the virus.

“As of Friday, Miami-Dade had more than 1,500 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, the largest number reported in Florida,

followed by Broward County at 970 and Palm Beach County at 600.

Orange County had the fourth-largest number of COVID-19 hospitalizations at 478,”

Until now, Florida has been one of only three states hiding the truth about the COVID-19 hospitalizations from the public.

Trump, who was in Miami-Dade County Friday afternoon, has celebrated the COVID-19 cases, saying that

the death rate is going down and all is well.

In fact, the death rates are beginning to increase.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/flo...h-coronavirus/

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what argument you're trying to make here. But I work for multiple hospital systems. People who are not tending to medical emergencies aren't due to lockdowns or economic turn downs. They're not showing up because they're scared of catching the virus. Why? Because that's where COVID pts are being treated and no one wants to be admitted for fear of catching it. But go ahead and keep thinking you know what's really going on because you found a couple of articles that sorta kinda back up your bull theory.
    Lol.

Gossip.

Wrong. They didn't show up because they weren't allowed. And now they are. Covid, even in Houston, isn't taking up as many gen or icu beds as non covid patients.

Stop the gossip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "(CNN)Internal do ents from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that fully reopening K-12 schools and universities would be the "highest risk" for the spread of coronavirus, according to a New York Times report, as President Donald Trump and his administration push for students and teachers to return in-person to classrooms.

The 69-page do ent obtained by the Times marked "For Internal Use Only" was among materials for federal public health response teams deployed to coronavirus hotspots to help local public health officials handle the outbreak, the newspaper reported.

The do ent was circulated this week, the Times reported, as Trump slammed the CDC guidelines around reopening schools and he, Vice President Mike Pence and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos increased their pressure on schools to fully reopen by the fall....."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/polit...ing/index.html

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "(CNN)Internal do ents from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that fully reopening K-12 schools and universities would be the "highest risk" for the spread of coronavirus, according to a New York Times report, as President Donald Trump and his administration push for students and teachers to return in-person to classrooms.

The 69-page do ent obtained by the Times marked "For Internal Use Only" was among materials for federal public health response teams deployed to coronavirus hotspots to help local public health officials handle the outbreak, the newspaper reported.

The do ent was circulated this week, the Times reported, as Trump slammed the CDC guidelines around reopening schools and he, Vice President Mike Pence and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos increased their pressure on schools to fully reopen by the fall....."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/polit...ing/index.html
    Scaredy cuck.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida COVID-19 cases top a quarter million

Cases of COVID-19 in Florida pushed past a quarter million Saturday, as the state reported 10,383 additional people with the disease.The state posted 95 additional deaths.

Neither total is a record, but both reflect the worsening trends of the past two weeks. The record for deaths was set Thursday, with 120.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, whose aggressive push to reopen Florida has proved controversial,

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/flo...arter-million/

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information