Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From 1990-1999, The Admiral actually beat The Dream in MVP voting in 7 out of those 10 seasons. One of the seasons he didn't beat The Dream was the 1996-97 season, the one where he only played 6 games.

There was one head-to-head matchup where The Admiral held The Dream to just 6......yes SIX points for the entire game, on 2-13 shooting. That game was March 12, 1992.

***These are a couple of facts that don't fit the narrative that 5-0 wasn't close to being on Dream's level as a player.***

I just thought I would put this info out there since things are slow while we wait for the season to start back up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1995 was just a show tbh. Spurs were pretty much fools gold that year. It was Robinson and nobody else. We started AJ and Vinny as guards ffs. I like Elliott but he cost us game 1 by choking at the line. Rodman sabotaged the entire series by quitting. I mean refusing to play in the WCFs, shooting airball 3s just to prove some ty point. He was never a team first guy in SA. He was always about himself. Sucks that the narrative around him changed bc of MJ.

Fun fact about that series, Robinson was tripled teamed the same percentage of the time the Spurs double teamed Hakeem. I forgot the exact stats but it was like the Rockets double teamed Dave 56% and triple teamed him 21% of the whole series and Dave faces single coverage the rest. Compared to Hakeem who faced like 70% single coverage and like 20% double and 10 triple. Hill was a nice coach but this was the series that got him fired (even though that was technically the Utah series the next year).

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fanboys who say Olajuwon was (so much) better pin their argument on one game, tbh.

And yea; Robinson was out of sorts in that game. But the game was still tied with 2:36 to go.
    And damn, D-Rob had no shooters around him like Akeem did. Spurs were relying on old Tom Rivers to get a three at the end. FFS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fanboys who say Olajuwon was (so much) better pin their argument on one game, tbh.

And yea; Robinson was out of sorts in that game. But the game was still tied with 2:36 to go.
    And damn, D-Rob had no shooters around him like Akeem did. Spurs were relying on old Tom Rivers to get a three at the end. FFS

Akeem
    Lew Alcindor

You don't have an agenda, do you?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Akeem
    Lew Alcindor

You don't have an agenda, do you?
    To give them the dignity of their better names is all, maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson had detractors his whole career for some reason. The "soft" moniker was the dumbest.

I think because he was intelligent, reserved, quietly dominant, not a showboat or talker, and playing in San Antonio he didn't get the respect he deserved. He carried some sh!tty teams on his bad back. The best roster he had around him, pre-Duncan, was his rookie season. And people also forget he and TD were co-leaders on that '99 team. The Admiral didn't coattail his way to a ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson had detractors his whole career for some reason. The "soft" moniker was the dumbest.

I think because he was intelligent, reserved, quietly dominant, not a showboat or talker, and playing in San Antonio he didn't get the respect he deserved. He carried some sh!tty teams on his bad back. The best roster he had around him, pre-Duncan, was his rookie season. And people also forget he and TD were co-leaders on that '99 team. The Admiral didn't coattail his way to a ring.
    He wasn't soft for sure. My biggest problem with him was that he seemed to miss free throws in critical situations in important games.
    It was a long time ago and maybe my memory is clouded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David has little to no help
    Rodman was destroying the team from within
    A couple of Elliott ft’s may have changed the series

but it was these type of losses is what made 1999 and 2003 so much sweeter for DRob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From 1990-1999, The Admiral actually beat The Dream in MVP voting in 7 out of those 10 seasons. One of the seasons he didn't beat The Dream was the 1996-97 season, the one where he only played 6 games.

There was one head-to-head matchup where The Admiral held The Dream to just 6......yes SIX points for the entire game, on 2-13 shooting. That game was March 12, 1992.

***These are a couple of facts that don't fit the narrative that 5-0 wasn't close to being on Dream's level as a player.***

I just thought I would put this info out there since things are slow while we wait for the season to start back up.
    thanks for the stats

i think all that gets erased when you win a ring in peoples minds.

spurs win it all that year and drob is an instant legend. We didn’t so he wasn’t

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for the stats

i think all that gets erased when you win a ring in peoples minds.

spurs win it all that year and drob is an instant legend. We didn’t so he wasn’t
    Yeah man, this stuff is definitely not common knowledge, even among Spurs fans. Outside of that one series, The Admiral had a 30-12 head-to-head record against The Dream, with the last 10 wins coming after Tim Duncan joined the team.

Also from what I remember, The Admiral held The Dream below his averages and outplayed him more often than not. One poster broke those stats down for us a couple of months ago, but now I can't even find the post. All I remember is him posting how often one shot 60% or 70% from the floor against the other one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reason I rank Hakeem higher is because he won rings as the main man...but the more I think about it, in a vacuum, Robinson was just as good, and I might even prefer him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both equally great imo, but Hakeem was more fun to watch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both equally great imo, but Hakeem was more fun to watch
    I always felt Robinson was more fun to watch. He was so great at throwing down lobs and dunking over people. He was so fast, the guy just sprinted past everybody and was already in the air dunking the ball. Hakeem was definitely the better post player, it’s a laughable comparison in that regard, and Hakeem was nice to watch. But with Robinson I liked that he would block the ball like 3 straight times, dribble down the court and just slam it down with authority. Fast break basketball doesn’t really win championships but to me it’s more fun to watch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David has little to no help
    Rodman was destroying the team from within
    A couple of Elliott ft’s may have changed the series

but it was these type of losses is what made 1999 and 2003 so much sweeter for DRob
    Quite frankly, I believe he was set up to fail in that 1995 WCF series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basically had around him in the early 90s... aj and vinny, 2 fkn clowns who cant shoot for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always felt Robinson was more fun to watch. He was so great at throwing down lobs and dunking over people. He was so fast, the guy just sprinted past everybody and was already in the air dunking the ball. Hakeem was definitely the better post player, it’s a laughable comparison in that regard, and Hakeem was nice to watch. But with Robinson I liked that he would block the ball like 3 straight times, dribble down the court and just slam it down with authority. Fast break basketball doesn’t really win championships but to me it’s more fun to watch

Robinson was more athletic, and that's saying a lot because Hakeem was extremely physically gifted as well. Hakeem had a little better post game but not as much speed. I could see Robinson owning this current version of the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Robinson was more athletic, and that's saying a lot because Hakeem was extremely physically gifted as well. Hakeem had a little better post game but not as much speed. I could see Robinson owning this current version of the NBA.
    If guys like Anthony Davis are putting up 25 and 13, I can’t imagine Robinson. Nobody would be able to guard him because he was quicker than any big man, the same speed as the guards only a foot taller, could jump out the building, and since nobody plays post up anymore his back problems would’ve been gone. Everybody knows that back in the 90s you took elbows and forearms to the lower back all game long. It was just part of the game. Now, you can’t touch a guy. I mean imagine Steph Curry switching on David Robinson or Draymond Green. That switching defense doesn’t work on a person like D-Rob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem faked out Robinson one time that was shown 2 million times on TV and later turned into an animate gif that was copy pasta on the internets 50 million times so it means the dream faked out and the admiral 52 million times which made Hakeem dominate Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw DR put 52 on Hakeem in Houston albeit reg season

Thread Information