Page 117 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 4376
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another factor to weigh against the risk of vaccination: 3x-6x increased risk of myocardial infarction and stroke for patients infected with COVID-19.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...896-5/fulltext
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-07-2021 at 09:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this

population-level public health shouldn't be a private responsibility

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID: 90% of patients treated with new Israeli drug discharged in 5 days

The Phase II trial for an Israeli COVID drug saw some 29 out of 30 patients, moderate to serious, recover within days.

Some 93% of 90 coronavirus serious patients treated in several Greek hospitals with a new drug developed by a team at Tel Aviv’s Sourasky Medical Center as part of the Phase II trial of the treatment were discharged in five days or fewer.
    The Phase II trial confirmed the results of Phase I, which was conducted in Israel last winter and saw 29 out of 30 patients in moderate to serious condition recover within days.
    “The main goal of this study was to verify that the drug is safe,” Prof. Nadir Arber said. “To this day we have not registered any significant side effect in any patient from both groups.”
    The trial was conducted in Athens because Israel did not have enough relevant patients. The principal investigator was Greece’s coronavirus commissioner, Prof. Sotiris Tsiodras.

Arber and his team, including Dr. Shiran Shapira, developed the drug based on a molecule that the professor has been studying for 25 years called CD24, which is naturally present in the body.
    “It is important to remember that 19 out of 20 COVID-19 patients do not need any therapy,” Arber said. “After a window of five to 12 days, some 5% of the patients start to deteriorate.”
    The main cause of the clinical deterioration is an over activation of the immune system, also known as a cytokine storm. In case of COVID-19 patients, the system starts attacking healthy cells in the lungs.
    “This is exactly the problem that our drug targets,” he said.
    CD24 is a small protein that is anchored to the membrane of the cells and it serves many functions including regulating the mechanism responsible for the cytokine storm.
    Arber stressed that their treatment, EXO-CD24, does not affect the immune system as a whole, but only targets this specific mechanism, helping find again its correct balance.
    “This is precision medicine,” he said. “We are very happy that we have found a tool to tackle the physiology of the disease.”
    “Steroids for example shut down the entire immune system,” he further explained. “We are balancing the part responsible for the cytokine storms using the endogenous mechanism of the body, meaning tools offered by the body itself.”
    Arber noted that another breakthrough element of this treatment is its delivery.
    “We are employing exosomes, very small vesicles derived from the membrane of the cells which are responsible for the exchange of information between them,” he said.
    “By managing to deliver them exactly where they are needed, we avoid many side effects,” he added.
    The team is now ready to launch the last phase of the study.
    “As promising as the findings of the first phases of a treatment can be, no one can be sure of anything until results are compared to the ones of patients who receive a placebo,” he said.
    Some 155 coronavirus patients will take part in the study. Two-thirds of them will be administered the drug, and one-third a placebo.
    The study will be conducted in Israel and it might be also carried out in other places if the number of patients in the country will not suffice.
    “We hope to complete it by the end of the year,” Arber said.
    If the results are confirmed, he vowed that the treatment can be made available relatively quickly and at a low cost.
    “In addition, a success could pave the wave to treat many other diseases,” he concluded.

https://www.jpost.com/health-science...-5-days-675961
    [sarcasm on] I don't want to take it because I don't know what's in it [sarcasm off]

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    [sarcasm on] I don't want to take it because I don't know what's in it [sarcasm off]
    Nazi's!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tantalizing familiar graphic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're only familiar with it because you love the enemy of the people tbh. You're a gullible progressive re .

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're only familiar with it because you love the enemy of the people tbh. You're a gullible progressive re .
    Finally...
    Now this sounds exactly like a commie.
    You refer to this all the time and you finally break the line and go all in.
    You dont like the idea of a democracy? where individuals vote? why not?

So communistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tbh this is the best evidence to date that trump actually won georgia, arizona, nevada

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So colored states have the highest % of dumbfks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is vaccine immunity waning?

a rah rah pro-vaccine guy like Eric Topol (who also is privy to all the Scripps Research data) wondering out loud about it does not tend to inspire confidence.

?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "There may be something to this waning immunity story. It’s fuzzy, but the people who are getting hit are more apt to be people who were vaccinated very early."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More robust testing/tracing could possibly illuminate, but we still don't have that in the US. People who were vaccinated early are older and have less robust immune systems to begin with.

Could be that the short term hospitalization picture is driven by the combination of contagiousness and the large number of unimmunized, or that the data is too noisy to draw good inferences therefrom. Topol's characterization of the severity of breakthrough infections certainly seems more anecdotal than well-considered. I wonder why Dr. Topol sat for this interview to vent worry about vaccine immunity. Seems careless or irresponsible if not backed up by something.

OTOH, what is science if not the art of drawing adequate conclusions from inadequate data? If waning vacccine immunity is just a hunch on Dr. Topol's part, that doesn't mean he's wrong. It's bothersome to me that he has climbed out onto this limb publicly after doing so much to boost vaccination.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dr. Topol:

Just looking at the U.K. and Israel, which had been our guideposts, I thought we would keep the hospitalizations pretty darn low — maybe a fourth of where we’d been in prior waves. And deaths 10 percent of prior waves. But we’re not doing that at all. If you look at the log charts of the U.S. and the U.K, you’re starting to see some real separation for death. It’s certainly going in the wrong direction, and it had been tracking incredibly closely, until recently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1.7 billion vaccine (Sinopharm) vaccine doses and the most aggressive/repressive public health regime in the world aren't doing the trick in the PRC.

Should be pointed out the national tolerance for COVID there is much lower than here, the reported nationwide confirmed cases seem to be in the low four digits.

The outbreak has spread to 17 provinces, after the highly transmissible Delta variant was detected among airport staff in Nanjing on July 20, creating the country’s biggest challenge since the epidemic was largely contained last year.

The surge in new cases has triggered mass testing, lockdowns and travel restrictions, and officials have been removed from positions and punished over Covid-19 failures.
    Beijing has also tightened travel restrictionsfor its citizens as part of efforts to contain the infection.

There are now 216 areas designated as high or medium risk in mainland China, the highest number since the epidemic control became “normalised” last year.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...-virus-hits-17

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topol: insufficient data, not enough testing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More robust testing/tracing could possibly illuminate, but we still don't have that in the US. People who were vaccinated early are older and have less robust immune systems to begin with.

Could be that the short term hospitalization picture is driven by the combination of contagiousness and the large number of unimmunized, or that the data is too noisy to draw good inferences therefrom. Topol's characterization of the severity of breakthrough infections certainly seems more anecdotal than well-considered. I wonder why Dr. Topol sat for this interview to vent worry about vaccine immunity. Seems careless or irresponsible if not backed up by something.

OTOH, what is science if not the art of drawing adequate conclusions from inadequate data? If waning vacccine immunity is just a hunch on Dr. Topol's part, that doesn't mean he's wrong. It's bothersome to me that he has climbed out onto this limb publicly after doing so much to boost vaccination.
    Science isn’t done through hunches or speculation from data the way he’s done. Doesnt mean he’s wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More masking, social distancing and ventilation, please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good news: vaccines still provide robust protection against hospitalization and death

"Although vaccinated people are seeing a rise in new COVID diagnosis, they are primarily experiencing their infections, not as severe illnesses that bring them to the emergency room, but as bad colds," says Ferrer.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was at HEB a little earlier and seemed like it was the fattest boomers and gen-x'ers not masking up. Shot in the dark, but if you're so obese you need a scooter at HEB I'm guessing COVID's not going to treat you too well.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is vaccine immunity waning?

a rah rah pro-vaccine guy like Eric Topol (who also is privy to all the Scripps Research data) wondering out loud about it does not tend to inspire confidence.

[FONT="]

[/FONT]
    ?
    Doesn't really match up with the data you posted out of that Baton Rouge hospital seeing a huge surge where 91.5% of the COVID hospitalizations were unvaccinated patients.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't really match up with the data you posted out of that Baton Rouge hospital seeing a huge surge where 91.5% of the COVID hospitalizations were unvaccinated patients.
    I agree and suggested similar upstream.

I think the Topol interview is squishy as and probably irresponsible. I'm mainly wondering why he did it. Topol's been super gung-ho on vaccination and is the VP of research at Scripps. Maybe it's ins utional jiu-jitsu. He's also been griping about the poor quality of data from the CDC. Maybe he's trying to inspire the CDC to disprove it with better information.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-09-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information