Page 152 of 176 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 4376
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1 death prevented per 1 million doses
    So then, disease, disability and transmissibilty to others count for nothing? Is fatality the sole meaningful metric here?

It almost like you're arguing we shouldn't protect people from disease whatsoever unless it's likely they'll die.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 10-26-2021 at 05:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then, disease, disability and transmissibilty to others counts for nothing? Is fatality the sole meaningful metric here?

It almost like you're arguing we shouldn't protect people from disease whatsoever unless it's likely they'll die.
    The vaxed also spread this virus

Its like you nigas are like humpty dumpty and keep falling off the same wall

Say it with me:

The vaxed also get and spread this virus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Might" "its possible"

Follow da science
    so now you're just denying that vaccines work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so now you're just denying that vaccines work
    We are currently discussing transmissibility. There is no evidence vaxed spread less than non. None

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    kids can catch covid and spread it to other people. do you know how herd immunity works?
    At what rate though?

One of the largest studies1 on COVID-19 in schools in the United States looked at more than 90,000 pupils and teachers in North Carolina over 9 weeks last autumn. Given the rate of transmission in the community, “we would have expected to see about 900 cases” in the schools, says Daniel Benjamin, a paediatrician at Duke Clinical Research Ins ute in Durham, North Carolina, and co-lead author on the study. But when the researchers conducted contact tracing to identify school-related transmissions, they identified only 32 cases (see ‘Meagre spread’).

That study, published in January, “should have been a watershed event for people who were really going to just be data driven with their policy”, says Jeanne Noble, an emergency physician who directs the COVID-19 response at the University of California, San Francisco’s medical centre. Yet many schools remained closed. Since then, “it’s just been a slew of other similar studies”, Noble says.
    Another study2 looked at 17 schools in rural Wisconsin. The research team observed 191 COVID-19 cases in staff and students during 13 weeks in the autumn of 2020, a time of high transmission for that area. Only seven of those cases seemed to originate in the schools. A second study, not yet published, looked at Nebraska. “They were open the whole year with over 20,000 students and staff, and there were only 2 transmission events during that entire study period,” Høeg says.
    Critics argue that without surveillance testing, kids who don’t have symptoms won’t be identified or counted, so the true number could be much higher. But even if the real case numbers were double or even triple the numbers in these studies, the transmission rate would have been much lower than in the community, Benjamin says. “It’s safer for them to be in school than to be outside of school.”
    Studies that have included testing tend to show similarly low transmission rates. Researchers in Norway3 identified 13 confirmed cases in children aged 5–13 in schools, and tested nearly 300 of their close contacts to assess the secondary attack rate — the percentage of contacts who become infected from a single case. Just 0.9% of the child contacts and 1.7% of the adult contacts contracted the virus.

In Salt Lake City4, researchers went one step further. They offered COVID-19 tests to more than 1,000 students and staff who had come into contact with any of 51 pupils who had tested positive. Of the roughly 700 people who took the tests, just 12 tested positive. The scientists then used contact tracing and genetic sequencing to identify transmissions that occurred at school. Only 5 of the 12 were school-related — an attack rate of just 0.7%. This suggests that students who contract the virus don’t tend to spread it at school. A similar study5 in New York City found that the attack rate was even lower, just 0.5%.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01826-x

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very low transmission in NISD schools

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very low transmission in NISD schools
    Thats another factor. No matter what the actual #s are in adults. Its a fact children spread even less. Different immune systems.

Science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At what rate though?

One of the largest studies1 on COVID-19 in schools in the United States looked at more than 90,000 pupils and teachers in North Carolina over 9 weeks last autumn. Given the rate of transmission in the community, “we would have expected to see about 900 cases” in the schools, says Daniel Benjamin, a paediatrician at Duke Clinical Research Ins ute in Durham, North Carolina, and co-lead author on the study. But when the researchers conducted contact tracing to identify school-related transmissions, they identified only 32 cases (see ‘Meagre spread’).

That study, published in January, “should have been a watershed event for people who were really going to just be data driven with their policy”, says Jeanne Noble, an emergency physician who directs the COVID-19 response at the University of California, San Francisco’s medical centre. Yet many schools remained closed. Since then, “it’s just been a slew of other similar studies”, Noble says.
    Another study2 looked at 17 schools in rural Wisconsin. The research team observed 191 COVID-19 cases in staff and students during 13 weeks in the autumn of 2020, a time of high transmission for that area. Only seven of those cases seemed to originate in the schools. A second study, not yet published, looked at Nebraska. “They were open the whole year with over 20,000 students and staff, and there were only 2 transmission events during that entire study period,” Høeg says.
    Critics argue that without surveillance testing, kids who don’t have symptoms won’t be identified or counted, so the true number could be much higher. But even if the real case numbers were double or even triple the numbers in these studies, the transmission rate would have been much lower than in the community, Benjamin says. “It’s safer for them to be in school than to be outside of school.”
    Studies that have included testing tend to show similarly low transmission rates. Researchers in Norway3 identified 13 confirmed cases in children aged 5–13 in schools, and tested nearly 300 of their close contacts to assess the secondary attack rate — the percentage of contacts who become infected from a single case. Just 0.9% of the child contacts and 1.7% of the adult contacts contracted the virus.

In Salt Lake City4, researchers went one step further. They offered COVID-19 tests to more than 1,000 students and staff who had come into contact with any of 51 pupils who had tested positive. Of the roughly 700 people who took the tests, just 12 tested positive. The scientists then used contact tracing and genetic sequencing to identify transmissions that occurred at school. Only 5 of the 12 were school-related — an attack rate of just 0.7%. This suggests that students who contract the virus don’t tend to spread it at school. A similar study5 in New York City found that the attack rate was even lower, just 0.5%.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01826-x

im not arguing for schools to remain closed. i want to minimize spread of a disease within reasonable means. right now vaccination is the best way to do so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The vaxed also spread this virus

Its like you nigas are like humpty dumpty and keep falling off the same wall

Say it with me:

The vaxed also get and spread this virus
    That's not responsive to my question. No one has denied vaxxed people can transmit COVID.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (The argument the vaccine is not really a vaccine since it doesn't confer sterilizing immunity is more or less moronic, not all vaccines do. That they protect against disease progression and death is significant all by itself.)

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    (The argument the vaccine is not really a vaccine since it doesn't confer sterilizing immunity is more or less moronic, not all vaccines do. That they protect against disease progression and death is significant all by itself.)
    ...tell that to the over 55k Americans that MF Biden killed in the last 30 days because he lied about his (plan), Winester.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not responsive to my question. No one has denied vaxxed people can transmit COVID.
    You just said "trasmissibility"

The vaxed can transmit the virus as well. So there really is no point vaxing children

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kids dont benefit from this as they have no risk from covid already

So again. Why would anyone want to mass vax kids?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not arguing for schools to remain closed. i want to minimize spread of a disease within reasonable means. right now vaccination is the best way to do so
    might also help to keep schools open if there's another e in cases in the winter

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kids dont benefit from this as they have no risk from covid already

So again. Why would anyone want to mass vax kids?
    ...especially when it's gonna cause his unvaxxed number to loiter 100 million once & again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Follow da science"

Time to smear the FDA panel now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The number of participants in the current clinical development program is too small to detect
    any potential risks of myocarditis associated with vaccination. Long-term safety of
    COVID-19 vaccine in participants 5 to <12 years of age will be studied in
    5 post-authorization safety studies, including a 5-year follow-up study to evaluate long term
    sequelae of post-vaccination myocarditis/pericarditis.

https://www.fda.gov/media/153409/download
    following the science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...especially when it's gonna cause his unvaxxed number to loiter 100 million once & again.
    Vaxing all children wont make a difference to any of that. Trust me

Science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    following the science
    One tiny salvadorian pasito at a time ma nig

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the comments:

What's his condition?

No change.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THE SCIENCE

hater will not follow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THE SCIENCE

hater will not follow
    "FDA admits the sample isn't statistically significant"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...but voted 17-0-1 for EUA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This one is for Darrin, tbh...

Excessive drinking during pandemic leads to dramatic e in liver transplants, study says

The national list for people seeking liver transplants skyrocketed during the coronavirus pandemic, shooting up 50% higher than predicted before COVID-19 affected the country.

A study released Tuesday by University of Michigan researchers – published in JAMA Network Open – revealed a positive correlation between the increase in the number of people on a waiting list for a liver and the increase in retail sales of alcohol during the pandemic timeframe.

People seeking liver transplants experience alcoholic hepa is – when the liver stops processing alcohol and instead creates toxic chemicals that trigger inflammation and kill off healthy liver cells needed to survive.

In the new study, researchers compared the exact number of new people put on the U.S. organ transplant list from March 2020 to January 2021 with the projected numbers that were based on pre-pandemic data. Researchers next correlated national monthly retail alcohol sales records between January 2016 and 2021.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/8564575002/

Thread Information