Page 7 of 176 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get how so many experts have said the soonest a true vaccine could possibly be thoroughly vetted would be many months out.
    Because they're are basing it on historical precedent. Plus, it can all fall apart in phase 3 when you are putting it into 10s of thousands of people, not a couple hundred healthy adults. Nothing is guaranteed yet, despite the doc and her "80%" prediction

I said in March:

You heard it here first: Bill Gates will play a major role in finding a treatment or vaccine for this
    And in April:

I don't know, with unlimited funds and basically every health authority giving you immediate approvals every step of the way, it is not out of the realm to find a vaccine within 12 months or maybe less, there are some smart as people out there and this isn't Apollo 13. I more worry about how you manufacture a billion doses.
    Yeah, I just don't think that's the hardest part, incredibly smart people dedicate their entire careers to researching vaccines. Vaccine R&D is much higher margin than antiviral treatments which was overwhelmingly underfunded pre-covid... I'm talking private not public R&D

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Six monkeys vaccinated then got infected but didn't get pneumonia. Not sure I would say that's "Excellent News!".
    Those were the pre-clinical trial results you're quoting, he was responding to his tweet from May. The link in his most recent tweet shows they're already in phase 3 clinical trial, which means they've tested for safety and preliminary efficacy in healthy humans (phases 1/2)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Six monkeys vaccinated then got infected but didn't get pneumonia. Not sure I would say that's "Excellent News!".
    He'll no it's not excellent news. Not if you're a monkey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get how so many experts have said the soonest a true vaccine could possibly be thoroughly vetted would be many months out.
    depends when they were saying it... back in march/april? or are people still saying that rn?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they're are basing it on historical precedent. Plus, it can all fall apart in phase 3 when you are putting it into 10s of thousands of people, not a couple hundred healthy adults. Nothing is guaranteed yet, despite the doc and her "80%" prediction

I said in March:

And in April:
    Exactly. October sounds ridiculously optimistic. Fingers crossed though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    depends when they were saying it... back in march/april? or are people still saying that rn?
    "Dr. Zervos says the soonest a COVID-19 vaccine could be ready for widespread use will be 18 months from now—and if that's the case, it will be the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed.....

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2020/...eate-a-vaccine

April but that doesn't really matter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those were the pre-clinical trial results you're quoting, he was responding to his tweet from May. The link in his most recent tweet shows they're already in phase 3 clinical trial, which means they've tested for safety and preliminary efficacy in healthy humans (phases 1/2)
    That's all the results we have. I don't think they've even published phase 1 results yet. Not trying to be a downer but biotechs leaking news that "it's all good" when there are billions of govt dollars on the table should be viewed with a little skepticism imho.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Dr. Zervos says the soonest a COVID-19 vaccine could be ready for widespread use will be 18 months from now—and if that's the case, it will be the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed.....

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2020/...eate-a-vaccine

April but that doesn't really matter
    I think mumps was the record. 4 years or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've been testing this vaccine in humans in Brazil and soon in Argentina too (part of the trials).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 vaccines are on the fast-track to approval.

How will we know they're safe?

given that most vaccines take years to develop,

how will we know that the first coronavirus vaccine to earn approval is safe and effective enough for widespread use?

all candidate COVID-19 vaccines must pass through the same phases of clinical trials

before earning approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Trash FDA?

as would any other
    vaccine.

Provided that the trials include many participants, numbering in the thousands,

and include thorough protocols to track side effects,

the public can be confident that the approved vaccines are safe,

a vaccine should show at least 50% efficacy in clinical trials,

meaning that under perfect conditions,

people who get the vaccine would be at least half as less likely to be infected with the coronavirus compared with unvaccinated people.

https://www.livescience.com/first-coronavirus-vaccine-safety.html

50% ? seems like a low bar

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 vaccines are on the fast-track to approval.

How will we know they're safe?

given that most vaccines take years to develop,

how will we know that the first coronavirus vaccine to earn approval is safe and effective enough for widespread use?

all candidate COVID-19 vaccines must pass through the same phases of clinical trials

before earning approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Trash FDA?

as would any other
    vaccine.

Provided that the trials include many participants, numbering in the thousands,

and include thorough protocols to track side effects,

the public can be confident that the approved vaccines are safe,

a vaccine should show at least 50% efficacy in clinical trials,

meaning that under perfect conditions,

people who get the vaccine would be at least half as less likely to be infected with the coronavirus compared with unvaccinated people.

https://www.livescience.com/first-coronavirus-vaccine-safety.html

50% ? seems like a low bar

considering the fact that over 50 pct of usa will have had covid by the time Vax is available right after the election i think its right on target

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At best, the entire process could take several months, but Denham says the vaccine could be available to the public as early as the end of this year or the beginning of 2021

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Novavax has been around for 33 years. If they bring a vaccine for COVID-19 to market, it will be their very first successful vaccine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Novavax has been around for 33 years. If they bring a vaccine for COVID-19 to market, it will be their very first successful vaccine.

Smh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who had shares in Novavax? who had insider knowledge about the $1.6B deal? Kushner? Kushner's friends? etc, etc

check share price history

https://www.google.com/search?q=nova...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm absolutely sure there was insider / advance knowledge share purchases.

$5 up to now $140

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Breakthrough blood test detects positive COVID-19 result in 20 minutes

researchers were able to identify recent COVID-19 cases using 25 microlitres of plasma from blood samples.

developed a simple agglutination assay -

an analysis to determine the presence and amount of a substance in blood -

to detect the presence of antibodies raised in response to the SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Positive COVID-19 cases caused an agglutination or a clustering of red blood cells,

which was easily identifiable to the naked eye.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-bbt071620.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who had shares in Novavax? who had insider knowledge about the $1.6B deal? Kushner? Kushner's friends? etc, etc

check share price history

https://www.google.com/search?q=nova...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm absolutely sure there was insider / advance knowledge share purchases.

$5 up to now $140
    Absolutely no doubt of insider trading, imo.

Absolutely nothing will happen to anyone, imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone volunteer for the Moderna trial?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely no doubt of insider trading, imo.

Absolutely nothing will happen to anyone, imo
    Yet all the doctors you have cited work for Pfizer. You are blind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet all the doctors you have cited work for Pfizer. You are blind
    Lol liar

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oxford has put some stuff out along with T-cell response.
    And the BBC does a little tally on most of the vaccines being made and tested and what phase they are in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How a Potential Treatment for the Coronavirus Turned Up in a Scientist’s Freezer

“I think, if you asked coronavirologists,

what has happened now is perhaps beyond even their imagination.

We were all surprised.”

https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/how-a-potential-treatment-for-the-coronavirus-turned-up-in-a-scientists-freezer

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The people with hidden immunity against Covid-19

Several studies have shown that people infected with Covid-19 tend to have T cells that can target the virus, regardless of whether they have experienced symptoms. So far, so normal. But scientists have also recently discovered that some people can test negative for antibodies against Covid-19 and positive for T cells that can identify the virus. This has led to su ions that some level of immunity against the disease might be twice as common as was previously thought.

Most bizarrely of all, when researchers tested blood samples taken years before the pandemic started, they found T cells which were specifically tailored to detect proteins on the surface of Covid-19. This suggests that some people already had a pre-existing degree of resistance against the virus before it ever infected a human. And it appears to be surprisingly prevalent: 40-60% of unexposed individuals had these cells.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-from-covid-19

Thread Information