Page 9 of 176 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a successful vaccine won't save save Trash's LOSER CRIMINAL ASS

When Trash loses, how many Ms of do ents and emails will Barr delete?

war criminal Dubya's gang deleted several M emails on private servers.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems to me that you could get enough virus in your nose to trigger a positive PCR, but not necessarily become infectious.
    That is a possibility.
    But weighing the risk....
    + also includes 6 cats and 5 dogs a tiger and a lion at last count.
    But I think this is just for entertainment interest.
    And I would rather be with the + cats and dogs than + people.

I would not like being with the live large cats whatever their situation.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bend over and I’ll show you a large load during a certain period
    I will take a pass on that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this isnt so much about treatment, as about containment, but since the point of this thread is to be less political and more scientific I thought this was really interesting:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-vietnam
    Development timelines of diagnostic test kits:

February 7, 2020: Test kit developed by Hanoi University of Science and Technology. Testing method: RT-LAMP (reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification). Cost: US$15. Testing time: 70 minutes.
    March 3, 2020: Test kit developed by Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology. Testing method: real-time RT-PCR (reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction). Cost: less than US$21. Testing time: 80 minutes from receiving a sample.
    March 5, 2020: Test kits developed by Military Medical University, commercialized by Viet A. Cost: US$19–$25. Testing method: RT-PCR and real-time RT-PCR. Testing time: over one hour (quicker than the two-step Charité protocol) but has testing capacity four times the number of samples as the CDC kit.26 The Viet A test has been certified by the European Union and other authorities and is now being exported to other countries, although WHO certification is still pending as of May 2020.27
    April 28, 2020: Production and launch of the RT-LAMP kit and RT-PCR kit28,29 commercialized by Thai Duong company.
    Testing capacity also ramped up quickly, from just two testing sites nationwide in late January to 120 by May. As of May, Sixty-three sites were able to confirm testing (i.e., analyze the results of any given test).30 Given its low case numbers, the country decided on a strategy of using testing to identify clusters and prevent wider transmission. When community transmission was detected (even just one case), the government reacted quickly with contact tracing, commune-level lockdowns, and widespread local testing to ensure no cases were missed. This helps explain why Vietnam has performed more tests per confirmedcase than any other country in the world—by a longshot—even though testing per capita remains relatively low.
    There is a very small window in which to track and quarantine contacts before they become infectious. The incubation period between contact with the virus and start of symptoms is on average five days. Infectiousness begins two days before symptoms. Therefore, there is a period of only three days from the point of contact with a case to find and quarantine contacts before they could potentially infect others. It is critical to move fast, mobilize the contract-tracing apparatus, and locate the contacts.

The process in Vietnam worked as follows:

Once a patient with COVID-19 is identified (F0), local public health officials, with support from health professionals, security officers, the military, and other civil servants, work with the patient to identify who they might have been in contact with and infected in the past 14 days.
    All close contacts (F1), defined as people who have been within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of or have prolonged contact of 30 or more minutes with a confirmed COVID-19 case, are identified by this process and tested for the virus.
    If F1s test positive for the virus, they are placed in isolation at a hospital—all COVID-19 patients are hospitalized at no cost in Vietnam, regardless of symptoms.
    If F1s do not test positive, they are quarantined at a government-run quarantine center for 14 days.
    Close contacts of the previously identified close contacts (F2s) are required to self-isolate at home for 14 days.
    One noteworthy aspect of Vietnam’s approach is that it identified and quarantined suspected cases based on their epidemiological risk of infection (if they had contact with a confirmed case or traveled to a COVID-19 affected country), not whether they exhibited symptoms. The high proportion of cases that never developed symptoms (43 percent) suggests that this approach may have been a key contributor to limiting community transmission at an early stage.31
    Many lessons from Vietnam are applicable to other countries, including:

Investment in a public health infrastructure (e.g., emergency operations centers and surveillance systems) enables countries to have a head start in managing public health crises effectively. Vietnam learned lessons from SARS and avian influenza, and other countries can learn those same lessons from COVID-19.
    Early action, ranging from border closures to testing to lockdowns, can curb community spread before it gets out of control.
    Thorough contact tracing can help facilitate a targeted containment strategy.
    Quarantines based on possible exposure, rather than symptoms only, can reduce asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission.
    Clear communication is crucial. A clear, consistent, and serious narrative is important throughout the crisis.
    A strong whole-of-society approach engages multi-sectoral stakeholders in decision-making process and activate cohesive participation of appropriate measures.
    Vietnam began to lift its national lockdown on April 22. Schools opened between May 4 and May 11. Public transportation, domestic flights, and taxis are now allowed to operate, but international flights remain grounded. Everyone must wear a mask in public.51

Since April 16, Vietnam recorded no new cases of COVID-19 related to community spread. However, as more Vietnamese citizens are repatriated into the country, 54 positive cases have been detected in airports and in quarantine centers.

This next phase of Vietnam’s COVID-19 journey will be important to watch. The big question is how and when will Vietnam open up their borders, and will it be able to maintain this success when it does?
    vietnam has 0 covid deaths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this isnt so much about treatment, as about containment, but since the point of this thread is to be less political and more scientific I thought this was really interesting:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-vietnam

vietnam has 0 covid deaths.
    Perhaps the lesson of containment can be reserved for a future US pandemic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps the lesson of containment can be reserved for a future US pandemic.

Containment is a very unrealistic strategy for a virus like this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Currently working for Vietnam. Are you following the thread?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we ever do get a handle on it containment is the only way to snuff it out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might as well throw nationwide covid parties and just have a culling of the heard then

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are the most promising coronavirus vaccine candidates out there

https://www.livescience.com/most-promising-coronavirus-vaccine-candidates.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might as well throw nationwide covid parties and just have a culling of the heard then
    Just kill the elderly and at risk people already. I'm tired of hearing about covid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contact tracing isn't a treatment, but it is important for locating outbreaks. Is there some reason old fashioned, plain vanilla, interview based contact tracing isn't appropriate for the USA?

If it is appropriate, why don't we have it already? What's the hold up?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ed-by-the-u-s/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contact tracing isn't a treatment, but it is important for locating outbreaks. Is there some reason old fashioned, plain vanilla, interview based contact tracing isn't appropriate for the USA?

If it is appropriate, why don't we have it already? What's the hold up?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ed-by-the-u-s/
    I didn't read but I'm gonna guess there's a big enough crowd that's terrified big brother will take over their lives if they participate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Containment is a very unrealistic strategy for a virus like this one."

yes, C19 in USA is very different from all other industrial countries that have knocked cases WAY down from each country's peak,

while in USA ...

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...pickerSort=asc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Far Cry 5 ftw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Containment" just puts off the inevitable, unless the original source country did it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Containment" just puts off the inevitable, unless the original source country did it.
    arite man, then just stop tap-dancing around it and say its time to cull the herd. lets just get a few more hundreds of thousands of deaths out of the way now so we can go back to work and stop worrying about it, and when it comes to the unknown long-term effects of COVID, we'll just cross that bridge when it comes

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What number of deaths per million do you consider inevitable?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Flatten the curve" -- remember that?

It just means that we should try to avoid getting it at the same time.

It never meant eliminating the virus from existence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yeah it doesnt mean flatten the curve initially and then unflatten it. look man, just say its time to cull the herd. i mean if you're going to have such an awful opinion, at least show a modi of dignity and be honest about it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, I know you're part of the get out there and die already crowd.

If it's inevitable, how many deaths should countries just go ahead and put up with to meet your goal?

I put it in deaths per million so we can scale it for other countries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember "flatten the curve."

I don't remember the "then shoot the curve straight up and kill people quickly so I can go to the bar" corollary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah it doesnt mean flatten the curve initially and then unflatten it. look man, just say its time to cull the herd. i mean if you're going to have such an awful opinion, at least show a modi of dignity and be honest about it
    Even though our inept response caused avoidable mass death and an epochal depression, the narrative is that the economic status quo ante that caused the failures is the only reality worth saving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    arite man, then just stop tap-dancing around it and say its time to cull the herd. lets just get a few more hundreds of thousands of deaths out of the way now so we can go back to work and stop worrying about it, and when it comes to the unknown long-term effects of COVID, we'll just cross that bridge when it comes
    You can have a "stay at home" policy -- the home is where most people get infected. Some Florida mayors recently advised people in multi-generational households to wear masks at home. Maybe that will make a dent?

In San Antonio, the pandemic is VERY largely driven by Hispanic population -- disproportionately so. Maybe our mayor should give similar advice about masks at home?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're like a broken record with this negativity

Thread Information