Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the yellow line isn't calling anything an average
    TBF, it's not labeled total (for the line). But that makes sense.

In any event, it is not be compared to actual deaths like Midnight Gulp claims.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do understand that Midnight Gulp is calling excess deaths actual deaths and that you disagree with him, then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the yellow line reflects actual deaths. all those in excess of expected deaths (as defined by the gray line which shows how many people typically died during these months in previous years)

so if after years of data, and controlling for changes in population, if you determined that the "expected deaths" in a typical year is 10,000 people in june, but then instead, you observed 20,000 deaths in june, your "excess deaths" would be 10,000

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do understand that Midnight Gulp is calling excess deaths actual deaths and that you disagree with him, then?
    He and I have explained what the term excess deaths means.

Excess deaths are actual deaths but not all of them.

It's getting to be impossible to keep up with the number of things you have gotten wrong here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once you show me the data on NY we can discuss Texas. It's likely the difference between official counts and excess deaths have similar causes, neither of which likely nefarious.
    There are plenty of other possibilities that experts have mentioned that you're going to ignore as to why death totals might not reach New York levels again, even as covid case numbers rise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you tap out, you're just showing that your here for moral support for Midnight Gulp.

So, are expected deaths the same as actual deaths, then?

Is your contention that the yellow line is running average?

It's not at all possible that you're wrong. Everyone else is.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the yellow line reflects actual deaths. all those in excess of expected deaths (as defined by the gray line which shows how many people typically died during these months in previous years)

so if after years of data, and controlling for changes in population, if you determined that the "expected deaths" in a typical year is 10,000 people in june, but then instead, you observed 20,000 deaths in june, your "excess deaths" would be 10,000

We're on the same page with all of that.

Would you then agree that the red line in the graph is at about 3800 because that is the difference between expected deaths and actual deaths up to that point for 2020?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He and I have explained what the term excess deaths means.

Excess deaths are actual deaths but not all of them.

It's getting to be impossible to keep up with the number of things you have gotten wrong here.
    I just got done asking for your explanation and you quoted the definition I listed.

But that you're trying so hard to ride Midnight Gulp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We're on the same page with all of that.

Would you then agree that the red line in the graph is at about 3800 because that is the difference between expected deaths and actual deaths up to that point for 2020?
    the red line = observed (actual) deaths - expected deaths

also a running total (why it only goes up)

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not at all possible that you're wrong. Everyone else is.
    I've made numerous errors outside of my main argument in this thread. And I've owned all of them.
    I'm not a weak man like you. I'm able to own my sh**.

TheGreatYacht

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the red line = observed (actual) deaths - expected deaths

also a running total (why it only goes up)
    And this brings me to my main point for which Midnight Gulp made this lash-out thread.

He is claiming that excess deaths and actual deaths are the same. They're not. You're the first besides me to make that right call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just got done asking for your explanation and you quoted the definition I listed.
    You don't know what you're talking about at all here.

We do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this brings me to my main point for which Midnight Gulp made this lash-out thread.

He is claiming that excess deaths and actual deaths are the same. They're not. You're the first besides me to make that right call.
    excess deaths = total actual deaths - expected deaths

I'm sure he agrees.

I have no idea why you think differently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

every excess death is an actual death though

the reason why the "excess death" stat exists is to show that you hare having an outlier year. saying "we've had 100,000 people die in our state in march" sounds bad, but if accounting for your state's history, it turns out that 99,900 people tend to die every march (when adjusted for population variances in those years), its not entirely useful to point to 100k deaths as evidence of some massive public health issue, because your "excess deaths" is only 100. that doesnt mean those 100 excess deaths aren't "actual deaths." they absolutely are

the point of that chart is to show that right now texas has over 5000 of those "excess deaths" this year from march through present (or present at the time the data was gathered), but they only reported about 2k covid deaths, indicating there are another 3000+ excess deaths unaccounted for by covid. just a particularly deadly year for texas (not including covid)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've made numerous errors outside of my main argument in this thread. And I've owned all of them.
    I'm not a weak man like you. I'm able to own my sh**.

TheGreatYacht
    "I'm not a weak man. I'm able to own my "

[Proceeds to send out a distress call to TGY]

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm sure he agrees.

I have no idea why you think differently.
    He doesn't agree. He's consistently argued that the red line is actual deaths.
    He even made an image doubling down on that.
    Are you not paying attention at all, or you just doing your psychopath thing and having it both ways?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll refer you to your mentor who really is just parroting what both of us have said.

Excess death is excess death and actual death is actual death. They'd just call it actual death if they were one in the same through and through.

Now if we were immortal and no deaths were expected, then yes excess death and actual death would be the same (zero).

That you just couldn't betray your fellow chumpettes by continuing to tell the truth.
    Such a weak man. TheGreatYacht

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

All you need to recognize from the graph is that it is telling you that current reported covid deaths in Texas actually happened two months ago.

Since mortality rate does not change that means that the current number of cases that is stressing our healthcare system actually happened two months ago but everyone kept it a secret.

That is their conspiracy theory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll refer you to your mentor who really is just parroting what both of us have said.

Excess death is excess death and actual death is actual death. They'd just call it actual death if they were one in the same through and through.

Now if we were immortal and no deaths were expected, then yes excess death and actual death would be the same (zero).

That you just couldn't betray your fellow chumpettes by continuing to tell the truth.
    Such a weak man. TheGreatYacht
    try reading the whole thing without tagging Yauschwitz for moral support

the reason why the "excess death" stat exists is to show that you hare having an outlier year. saying "we've had 100,000 people die in our state in march" sounds bad, but if accounting for your state's history, it turns out that 99,900 people tend to die every march (when adjusted for population variances in those years), its not entirely useful to point to 100k deaths as evidence of some massive public health issue, because your "excess deaths" is only 100. that doesnt mean those 100 excess deaths aren't "actual deaths." they absolutely are

the point of that chart is to show that right now texas has over 5000 of those "excess deaths" this year from march through present (or present at the time the data was gathered), but they only reported about 2k covid deaths, indicating there are another 3000+ excess deaths unaccounted for by covid. just a particularly deadly year for texas (not including covid)

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Excess deaths are 100. Actual deaths are 100,000 in that scenario.

The metric of excess death is never canceling out actual deaths in any capacity.

Seriously, nobody philos like you.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 07-14-2020 at 06:56 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    try reading the whole thing without tagging Yauschwitz for moral support
    I did and responded. But I knew you were bull ting me from the start.

Excess death and actual death are not the same stat. That is what Midnight Gulp is arguing. That is not what you're arguing at least until your recent philo attempt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you need to recognize from the graph is that it is telling you that current reported covid deaths in Texas actually happened two months ago.

Since mortality rate does not change that means that the current number of cases that is stressing our healthcare system actually happened two months ago but everyone kept it a secret.

That is their conspiracy theory.
    No.

I can't believe you're this stupid, so I'm chalking it up to your being pissy.

Why are you so pissy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's still going .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    next derp is going to look at a line graph of the world's population and come to the conclusion that 7.8 billion people were born today

Thread Information