Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles was playing as well as any of our young players when the league halted in March.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is not the problem.
    At least one of the two highest paid are the problem-it is arguable who- and the coach are the problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trey started bad in the league, but playing with our energetic young core could be good for him. It could be fun. He has the size, range, ball handling, assist. He just needs the motor that hopefully playing with the youngsters will rub on him.
    I legitimately laughed out loud at that comment. I don't think having a high motor is something that can be learned.

Even with a questionable motor, Lyles proved to be a solid rebounder for us.

He can't and hopefully won't be the long - term starting PF. I do like him as a stretching big that can do a little bit of everything off the bench, though.

I hope we can keep him around at a reasonable price.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I would keep him on cheap like I said before he is a decent bench player but he needs to more aggressive on offense and work on his 3 ball before next season.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is garbage. If he's your starting PF, your team is probably lottery bound. Hopefully neither him or Bryn are on the starting lineup next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get rid of Lyles. How tf is Pop gonna make him a starter? Wright has to save us from Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I would keep him on cheap like I said before he is a decent bench player but he needs to more aggressive on offense and work on his 3 ball before next season.
    How much higher than 39% do you think he should shoot from beyond the arc?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 24 year old Lyles making $5.5mil/year and hitting 39% of his threes is the least of this team's problems.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is a fine backup PF imo, and is young enough to have at least a small chance of getting better. His skillset fits the starting lineup, but at the moment he isn't good enough to raise the team's ceiling if he's a starter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He doesn’t shoot the three when it matters and what is he volume of shooting I have seen many games where he passes the open shot in close games. Like I said I would keep him but he needs to be more aggressive and shoot when he is open. He reminds me of Fat Head in that he was always so damn timid on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He doesn’t shoot the three when it matters and what is he volume of shooting I have seen many games where he passes the open shot in close games. Like I said I would keep him but he needs to be more aggressive and shoot when he is open. He reminds me of Fat Head in that he was always so damn timid on offense.
    ALL of our guys need to up their volume. Doesn’t mean they can’t shoot. He also lost his shyness after January.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets not forget it's his 1st year! Wasn't the mantra always it takes guys a year to warm up to Spurs system. As ecstatic said focus on his play in Feb-March...heck same for dj before the break he started beasting too.Im actually excited to see what he brings next season. And yes he started season as our best rebounder. I think pop might've actually told him to focus less on rebounding to get other parts of his game going

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I legitimately laughed out loud at that comment. I don't think having a high motor is something that can be learned.
    Of course it is. The way teammates play, their at ude is very infectious. That’s why playing along Beli/Bryn, chucking 3’s but accounting no defense, sucked out the defensive stance and leads. Why would anyone play hard defense when those two don’t? I’m just saying, in the bubble ALL five players on the court always played defense most of the games, no let downs. Everybody sprinting back. It should be fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whoever is cheap to keep...keep, the 2 overpaid chumps and wombat/forbes needs to go... any remnants left remaining from kawhi roster needs to go...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Percentage isn't overly important. Sure, a certain baseline (35 and up) over a large enough sample size to establish a reputation is important, but volume, versatility (side step/back, pullup, off movement) and quickness of release all play a significant role in whether the defense respects the shooter enough for them to be a spacer or not.

Lyles doesn't check that box and while his other perimeter skills (handle, passing, lateral quickness) are fine for a "PF", they're underwhelming for the converted "SF"'s who mostly populate that position nowadays, which renders him an outdated archetype.

Lets not forget it's his 1st year! Wasn't the mantra always it takes guys a year to warm up to Spurs system. As ecstatic said focus on his play in Feb-March...heck same for dj before the break he started beasting too.Im actually excited to see what he brings next season. And yes he started season as our best rebounder. I think pop might've actually told him to focus less on rebounding to get other parts of his game going
    What "system"? The Spurs, like the rest of the league, play a basic, genized style now.

And no coach would tell anyone to focus less on defensive rebounding, let alone their best defensive rebounder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. He's young enough where he might still have a little upside, he's not 25 yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually I think he should start next year and Rudy should be traded if possible for a draft pick which pains me to say cause I like Rudy. But it’s painfully obvious that Rudy’s body will not hold up to a whole season and his defense has gotten worse as the years go by. He looked good in the bubble which helps in getting a semi decent draft pick.

But in all honesty I want the young kids to get as much playing time I don’t care if we win one game actually I hope we loose and are in the lottery cause that is the quickest way to get back in the race. Spurs need to not let LMA, DEROZZ, and Rudy walk and get nothing in return. Try and get a 2021 picks and a 2022 pick

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he needs to stay until the starting AND backup PF spots are determined. He could even be the future back up PF and play some stretch center too. We might get our answer immediately depending on who is drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is not the problem.
    At least one of the two highest paid are the problem-it is arguable who- and the coach are the problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Bryn Forbes is the main problem and the 3rd, 4th and 5th highest players being bench players who can't start is another one.

It's either Lyles or Gay. Neither of the 2 can start and only one can be the back up. I'd be fine to trade Gay and keep Lyles to come off the bench, since he only costs a 3rd and is a lot younger, but we better not have both on the roster next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, you can always tell when it's contract year they be putting in the work to get those Benjamin's.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Bryn Forbes is the main problem and the 3rd, 4th and 5th highest players being bench players who can't start is another one.
    5th highest player actually could not even stay on the team. Beli would be the 6th highest paid player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We only keep them if we are going to tank next year which is not a bad idea.

Thread Information