Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blast from the past, Seattle related. The fascism we're seeing now isn't peculiar to Trump, his two predecessors greased the skids.

that was bad, but the two kids, as i recall, who were detained, were held on contempt charges for refusing to testify before a grand jury

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was bad, but the two kids, as i recall, who were detained, were held on contempt charges for refusing to testify before a grand jury
    Yeah, that's right. This was not long after Obama's nationwide crackdown on the Occupy movement. DHS was heavily involved in that violent crackdown on peaceful Americans, too.

http://www.justiceonline.org/fbi_files_ows

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    diego was saying he expected more radicalism in Atlanta and Baltimore than Portland and Seattle.
    i knew someone would take it as racist but yeah i would expect if the genesis of the protests is systemic racism and police brutality that cities with large black populations and history of racism would have both more organized activity and lawlessness than northwestern cities that seem to be literally at the other end of the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i knew someone would take it as racist but yeah i would expect if the genesis of the protests is systemic racism and police brutality that cities with large black populations and history of racism would have both more organized activity and lawlessness than northwestern cities that seem to be literally at the other end of the country.
    It's a plausible inference, but it doesn't seem to apply in this case. Given the history of racist policing in the USA, deliberately provoking LE wearing riot gear and setting trash fires in front of a Federal courthouse might be more of a white people thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jacobin is right, this crackdown is a culmination rather than something brand new.

What’s happening in Portland, then, is the continuation of a long trend — activists were snatched off the streets by quasi-military cops under Bush and Obama, too. And if history is any guide, that kind of repression won’t automatically end with Trump’s removal either.
    https://jacobinmag.com/2020/07/portl...g-blm-protests

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland is one of the whitest cities in the US.
    That might have a little bit to do with their history, and Oregons history in general. Are you familiar with it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DHS to pull out of Portland.

The Trump administration has agreed to withdraw federal officers from Portland, Oregon, officials announced Wednesday, following weeks of controversy about their presence in the city.
    But the announcement came shortly after the Justice Department said they would send agents to Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee in what they described as a bid to fight violent crime...
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ing-to-detroit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NYPD getting in on the action...

Video Shows Protester Being Pulled Into Unmarked NYPD Warrants Squad Van

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ed-van-by-nypd
    Avante ready to get in on the action and try this at skate parks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal officers targeted journalists despite court order, ACLU says

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Militarized U.S. agents in Portland have continued to attack journalists and legal observers with riot-control munitions, despite a federal court order for them to stop, the ACLU of Oregon told the court Tuesday.

Last week, the U.S. District Court in Portland — located in the same federal court building that has been the focus of protests — temporarily blocked federal officers from targeting journalists and legal observers at the protests.

In a motion, the ACLU asked the court Tuesday to sanction and hold in contempt federal agents with the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Marshals Service for violating the temporary restraining order. It also asked the court to order Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf and Acting Under Secretary Ken Cuccinelli to personally appear and show why they should not be sanctioned for contempt.

https://katu.com/news/local/federal-...rder-aclu-says

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You hate to see it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You hate to see it
    Trump's crackdown backfired.

I'm sure you hate to see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump's crackdown backfired.

I'm sure you hate to see it.
    How did it backfire?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did it backfire?
    Failed to quell protests, pissed off a US state, brought disgrace on Trump and the DHS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Failed to quell protests, pissed off a US state, brought disgrace on Trump and the DHS.
    Meh, Oregon already hated him. Those protests were going to increase based on what's going on and the DHS and his administration can hardly be further disgraced.

So...unsure if a backfire so much as "of course this happened".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This sounds like hyperbole. Should he have firebombed the protestors? (hyperbole)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This sounds like hyperbole. Should he have firebombed the protestors? (hyperbole)
    hole using hyperbole? Never

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ex-border agent:

Special unit sent to Oregon among 'most violent and racist in all law enforcement'

The unidentified Customs and Border Protection (CBP) special tactical agents ...

are wholly untrained in how to properly deal with large demonstrations and

a former senior Border Patrol agent turned whistleblower
    calls

the Border Patrol Tactical Unit, or BORTAC,
    among “the most violent and racist in all law enforcement”.

“Racism has plagued the ins ution for decades,”

when she signed up for service in 1995 her Spanish instructor blithely informed her that Latino migrants were referenced within the agency as ‘tonks’ and ‘ s.’”

agents
    have pleaded guilty to assaulting migrants while on duty.

One agent
    called migrants “disgusting subhuman unworthy of being kindling for a fire”

the tactical unit, which is trained for high-risk missions and usually conducts operations along the border targeting smugglers and criminal organizations,

shouldn’t be responding to a matter of civil dissent in a major city far from any national border,”

BORTAC is more than happy to do it, because like the impeached president,

the unit’s agents view themselves as above the law—and act like it.

“That strain of extra-judicial aggression runs through everything Bortac does

“[t]hey view people they encounter in the military sense as enemy combatants, meaning they have virtually no rights.”

“They don’t do normal vehicle stops.

They will rip drivers from their seat,
    throw him against the side,
    put him in handcuffs —

the same tactics you are now seeing Bortac agents use in Portland.”

Border Patrol in particular “
    has spent decades waiting quietly in the wings,

stocking up on weapons and nearly tripling in size since 2001.

Waiting for that moment when a president would fully activate these extraordinary powers to do his/her bidding. That moment is here.”

“This agency is bloated, overfunded, and it operates with impunity.

“The difference here is, this time they implemented their tactics openly and

under the protection of an authoritarian president,”

“If this is what they do to mostly white U.S. citizens in front of the media,

imagine what they are doing to people in their custody,

to people who are seeking refuge in isolated parts of the border.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/29/1964871/-Ex-border-agent-Special-unit-sent-to-Oregon-among-most-violent-and-racist-in-all-law-enforcement?detail=emaildkre

The Repug's DHS? It's how Repugs der Heimat and Americans.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Ex-border agent:

Special unit sent to Oregon among 'most violent and racist in all law enforcement'

The unidentified Customs and Border Protection (CBP) special tactical agents ...

are wholly untrained in how to properly deal with large demonstrations and

a former senior Border Patrol agent turned whistleblower
    calls

the Border Patrol Tactical Unit, or BORTAC,
    among “the most violent and racist in all law enforcement”.

“Racism has plagued the ins ution for decades,”

when she signed up for service in 1995 her Spanish instructor blithely informed her that Latino migrants were referenced within the agency as ‘tonks’ and ‘ s.’”

agents
    have pleaded guilty to assaulting migrants while on duty.

One agent
    called migrants “disgusting subhuman unworthy of being kindling for a fire”

the tactical unit, which is trained for high-risk missions and usually conducts operations along the border targeting smugglers and criminal organizations,

shouldn’t be responding to a matter of civil dissent in a major city far from any national border,”

BORTAC is more than happy to do it, because like the impeached president,

the unit’s agents view themselves as above the law—and act like it.

“That strain of extra-judicial aggression runs through everything Bortac does

“[t]hey view people they encounter in the military sense as enemy combatants, meaning they have virtually no rights.”

“They don’t do normal vehicle stops.

They will rip drivers from their seat,
    throw him against the side,
    put him in handcuffs —

the same tactics you are now seeing Bortac agents use in Portland.”

Border Patrol in particular “
    has spent decades waiting quietly in the wings,

stocking up on weapons and nearly tripling in size since 2001.

Waiting for that moment when a president would fully activate these extraordinary powers to do his/her bidding. That moment is here.”

“This agency is bloated, overfunded, and it operates with impunity.

“The difference here is, this time they implemented their tactics openly and

under the protection of an authoritarian president,”

“If this is what they do to mostly white U.S. citizens in front of the media,

imagine what they are doing to people in their custody,

to people who are seeking refuge in isolated parts of the border.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/29/1964871/-Ex-border-agent-Special-unit-sent-to-Oregon-among-most-violent-and-racist-in-all-law-enforcement?detail=emaildkre

The Repug's DHS? It's how Repugs der Heimat and Americans.

"racism"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WILD WAPO STORY … SHANE HARRIS: “DHS compiled ‘intelligence reports’ on journalists who published leaked do ents”: “The Department of Homeland Security has compiled ‘intelligence reports’ about the work of American journalists covering protests in Portland, Ore., in what current and former officials called an alarming use of a government system meant to share information about suspected terrorists and violent actors.

“Over the past week, the department’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis has disseminated three Open Source Intelligence Reports to federal law enforcement agencies and others, summarizing tweets written by two journalists — a reporter for the New York Times and the editor in chief of the blog Lawfare — and noting they had published leaked, unclassified do ents about DHS operations in Portland. The intelligence reports, obtained by The Washington Post, include written descriptions and images of the tweets and the number of times they had been liked or retweeted by others.

“After The Post published a story online Thursday evening detailing the department’s practices, the acting homeland security secretary, Chad Wolf, ordered the intelligence office to stop collecting information on journalists and announced an investigation into the matter.”

from: https://www.politico.com/newsletters...f-talks-489942

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "acting

homeland security secretary, Chad Wolf,

ordered the intelligence office to stop collecting information on journalists

and announced an investigation into the matter.”

And that's the last we will ever hear about DHS Repug Schutzstaffel targeting journalists.

I want
    BlueLeaks, in totality, splashed over every ing media, channel, column

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information