Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF is going on there? Unmarked vehicles driving up to people in the street throwing them in and arresting them? for what exactly?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Federal law enforcement officers have used unmarked vehicles to detain protesters in Portland, according to news reports and at least one protester who spoke to USA TODAY.

Videos shared online show officers driving up to people, detaining them without explanation, then driving off, Oregon Public Broadcastingfirst reported. The ACLU filed a lawsuit Friday evening to try and end what it called "lawlessness" on the streets of Portland.

The lawsuit — the first of several that the ACLU said is to be filed against the Trump administration in Portland — seeks to block the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies from attacking journalists and legal observers at protests.

"Federal agents are terrorizing the community, threatening lives, and relentlessly attacking protesters demonstrating against police brutality," the ACLU said in a tweet. "This is not law and order. This is lawlessness — and it must be stopped."

Conner O’Shea, 30, a Portland resident who’s been attending protests for almost two months, told USA Today that early Thursday morning, around 2 a.m. he and a friend had left protests downtown and were walking back to their car when they were suddenly pursued by men who they believed to be federal agents.

O’Shea said after being warned by other protesters that federal agents were driving around in unmarked vans "snatching people," a van pulled over to the side walk and “four of five dudes in camo jump out and start charging at us.”

Both O'Shea and his friend ran in opposite directions. O’Shea did not see any sort of identifying markers on the men — badges or numbers or words on their camouflage uniforms. O’Shea managed to get away, and was later picked up by another friend and driven back home. But his friend Mark Pettibone, 29, has told media he was arrested and booked by federal agents, a story O’Shea confirmed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/5457471002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Videos posted on social media and first-person accounts show the officers driving up to protesters in downtown Portland, reportedly arresting them with no explanation of why and then driving off in unmarked vehicles.

“Usually when we see people in unmarked cars forcibly grab someone off the street, we call it kidnapping,” said Jann Carson, the executive director of Oregon’s American Civil Liberties Union, describing the actions as “flat-out uncons utional.”

U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) quickly condemned the use of this tactic on Twitter, saying Trump and Homeland Security Head Chad Wolf were “weaponizing the DHS as their own occupying army”:

Federal officers have clashed violently with protesters since Trump announced they would be deployed last week as “Portland was totally out of control.”

Federal officers also deployed tear gas and fired less-lethal rounds into a crowd on Thursday night after police called for the clearance of protesters heard chanting about burning down the federal courthouse, and on Saturday, federal agents shot a man in the face with less-than-lethal munition and fractured his skull.

Trump has said, “We’ve done a great job in Portland,” while Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler have both asked for the president to pull federal forces out of the city—expressing concern that agents are worsening the situation by refusing to follow local rules that ban tear gas and less-than-lethal rounds.

CRUCIAL QUOTE
    “This political theater from President Trump has nothing to do with public safety,” said Gov. Kate Brown on Thursday. “The President is failing to lead this nation. Now he is deploying federal officers to patrol the streets of Portland in a blatant abuse of power by the federal government.”

KEY BACKGROUND
    Wolf traveled to Portland on Thursday, calling the protesters “violent anarchists” and saying the city “has been under siege for 47 straight days.” He said protesters have destroyed property, including the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse, and attacked the “brave law enforcement officers protecting it” during months of anti-racism demonstrations. Last week, at least 7 people were arrested and face federal charges in connection with shattering the courthouse’s door and exploding fireworks inside. Mayor Wheeler said that city leadership was not invited to meet with the DHS during their visit, though “ if we were, we would decline.” Brown joined in the criticism, repeating a call to remove the agents from Portland and saying “Trump is looking for a confrontation in Oregon in the hopes of winning political points in Ohio or Iowa.”
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...awing-outrage/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Geheimnisstaatspolizei are alive and well.

No identification... grabbing people in the street... If the president was a democrat, you would be ting yourself.

ers like you were the ones working the ovens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Geheimnisstaatspolizei are alive and well.

No identification... grabbing people in the street... If the president was a democrat, you would be ting yourself.

ers like you were the ones working the ovens.
    loooooool

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, Trump's really worried about Oregon. It might turn blue. Oh, wait.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    From my understanding they are doing this legally under the provisions of the 2012 NDAA

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They won't be fearmongering when Zombie Rapist gets in office.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're apparently CBP

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL forum libertarians nowhere to be seen when our Dear Leader suspends the fist amendment.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a hole country the US is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unidentified officials, federal abduction of US citizens...

Law and Order!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DHS Under Boss: We’re Taking This National

Acting Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security Ken Cuccinelli

tells NPR not only are they not going to stop but they want to take the tactics nationwide.

Well, we are – we welcome – the more investigations, the better.

With as much lawbreaking is going on,

we’re seeking to prosecute as many people as are breaking the law as it relates to federal jurisdiction.

That’s not always happening with respect to local jurisdiction and local offenses.

But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we’re responsible for around the country.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...-this-national

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dated July 1, the memo is led “Public Affairs Guidance: CBP Support to Protect Federal Facilities and Property” and marked “For Official Use Only.” It describes a special task force created by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in response to President Trump’s Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence. That task force, the Protecting American Communities Task Force (PACT), has been tasked not only to assess civil unrest but also to “surge” resources to protect against it.

The Portland arrest of Mark Pettibone, first reported by Oregon Public Broadcasting, followed several similar arrests involving officers from a Border Patrol Tactical Unit (BORTAC)—CBP’s equivalent of a SWAT team—as well as the US Marshals Special Operations Group. A CBP spokesman confirmed to The Nation that CBP agents were responsible for the arrest, pointing to authorities under the Protecting American Communities Task Force.

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...rtland-arrest/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dated July 1, the memo is led “Public Affairs Guidance: CBP Support to Protect Federal Facilities and Property” and marked “For Official Use Only.” It describes a special task force created by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in response to President Trump’s Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence. That task force, the Protecting American Communities Task Force (PACT), has been tasked not only to assess civil unrest but also to “surge” resources to protect against it.

The Portland arrest of Mark Pettibone, first reported by Oregon Public Broadcasting, followed several similar arrests involving officers from a Border Patrol Tactical Unit (BORTAC)—CBP’s equivalent of a SWAT team—as well as the US Marshals Special Operations Group. A CBP spokesman confirmed to The Nation that CBP agents were responsible for the arrest, pointing to authorities under the Protecting American Communities Task Force.

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...rtland-arrest/
    Ramping up the fascism...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ramping up the fascism...
    While many people have criticized the alleged lawlessness of the arrests, some even engaging in conspiracy theories about them, these arrests are likely legal, according to current and former federal law enforcement officials interviewed by The Nation. And that’s exactly what makes them so troubling, explains Jenn Budd, a former senior Border Patrol agent.

“During the DC protest, many federal agents removed their insignia,” Budd explained, referring to a June 1 protest in front of the White House where protesters were teargassed. “What the agencies discovered was that they could do this without much blowback from Congress,” Budd explained.

A former senior DHS intelligence officer explained that while other federal agencies are required to wear identifiers when conducting arrests—NCIS agents have to wear both marked jackets and hats during arrests, for example—that is not the case with the DHS. “The fact is, they don’t have to do anything in marked vehicles,” he said. “Such operations happen all the time and at the discretion of supervisors.”

“If it gives them a tactical advantage, they will find a way to justify it,” a current DHS official told The Nation.

lol and order

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh but hey, here are some tweets about Nancy Pelosi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh but hey, here are some tweets about Nancy Pelosi.
    but, did you know Cuomo sent infected patients to nursing homes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While many people have criticized the alleged lawlessness of the arrests, some even engaging in conspiracy theories about them, these arrests are likely legal, according to current and former federal law enforcement officials interviewed by The Nation. And that’s exactly what makes them so troubling, explains Jenn Budd, a former senior Border Patrol agent.

“During the DC protest, many federal agents removed their insignia,” Budd explained, referring to a June 1 protest in front of the White House where protesters were teargassed. “What the agencies discovered was that they could do this without much blowback from Congress,” Budd explained.

A former senior DHS intelligence officer explained that while other federal agencies are required to wear identifiers when conducting arrests—NCIS agents have to wear both marked jackets and hats during arrests, for example—that is not the case with the DHS. “The fact is, they don’t have to do anything in marked vehicles,” he said. “Such operations happen all the time and at the discretion of supervisors.”

“If it gives them a tactical advantage, they will find a way to justify it,” a current DHS official told The Nation.

lol and order
    They will be legal once the judiciary say they are. There's that whole right to face your accuser, being secure in your person, probable cause, etc.

Not saying all the arrests are illegal, but you only need one to have a case.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL forum libertarians nowhere to be seen when our Dear Leader suspends the fist amendment.
    Every single one of these gots probably had a dozen posts about Jade Helm.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    but, did you know Cuomo sent infected patients to nursing homes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every single one of these gots probably had a dozen posts about Jade Helm.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    From my understanding they are doing this legally under the provisions of the 2012 NDAA

Thread Information