Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Can someone explain why these states have such a high death per 1M population ratio vs other states? (Texas is at 140)

I don't mean speculate what other states will do eventually, but why these states are so high. I have highlighted the southern states for sake of climate difference.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    INB4 the Chumpette sperm shielding / tantrums.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Can someone explain why these states have such a high death per 1M population ratio vs other states? (Texas is at 140)

I don't mean speculate what other states will do eventually, but why these states are so high. I have highlighted the southern states for sake of climate difference.
    Unless a vaccine comes to the rescue it will all average out by the time 50-60% of the population gets infected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You actually interested in discussion or is this a veiled swipe at the "evil blue states?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's because republicans are terrible and democrats are awesome

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ate/provincial

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You actually interested in discussion or is this a veiled swipe at the "evil blue states?"
    Actual discussion.

Obviously not solely climate related. Did people from NY infect these other states?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless a vaccine comes to the rescue it will all average out by the time 50-60% of the population gets infected
    "I don't mean speculate what other states will do eventually,"

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    INB4 the Chumpette sperm shielding / tantrums.
    DMC and SnakeBoy believe in the Coronahoax. Waste of time thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actual discussion.

Obviously not solely climate related. Did people from NY infect these other states?
    Here's a thread I made a few months ago that was hopeful warm weather states wouldn't suffer anywhere near as bad as NY and other states in that green climate band.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284293

You'll see that NY has a 7.5x higher incidence of flu infections. This suggests that citizens in NY are more susceptible to respiratory illnesses, likely due to climate factors and a more congested population density.

Now if the warm weather theory is true, why are these warm weather states experiencing their biggest outbreaks in the summer months? I think it's because the much hotter weather is driving more people indoors into air conditioned environments, and studies have shown covid likes air conditioned environments.

We conclude that in this outbreak, droplet transmission was prompted by air-conditioned ventilation. The key factor for infection was the direction of the airflow. Of note, patient B3 was afebrile and 1% of the patients in this outbreak were asymptomatic, providing a potential source of outbreaks among the public (7,8). To prevent spread of COVID-19 in restaurants, we recommend strengthening temperature-monitoring surveillance, increasing the distance between tables, and improving ventilation.
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

The area where this office in Korea saw the most infected was in the firing line of the air conditioning's airflow.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sout...g-chart-2020-4
    https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-in-the-south/

We can discount the nursing home deaths, and these cold weather states with a somewhat high population density will suffer more cases and thus deaths than warm weather states. Also, these states count deaths differently. NY counts probables, while the southern states count only positives. I think California also counts confirmed, since we're a bit high on excess deaths over this period.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Half have been ltc facility deaths in Mississippi

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC and SnakeBoy believe in the Coronahoax. Waste of time thread.
    I have a tendency to believe in viruses that have made me sick

Crazy I know

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost as many 90+ deaths is Mississippi 184

Than 0 -60 = 214

Looks like about 0 had 0 underlying conditions

Almost

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost as many 90+ deaths is Mississippi 184

Than 0 -60 = 214

Looks like about 0 had 0 underlying conditions

Almost

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a tendency to believe in viruses that have made me sick

Crazy I know
    You had the common cold. Come to terms.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think so? Even with no Cuomo nursing home order, no let's put everyone with low blood oxygen on a vent, and with dexamethasone and remedesivir? And with other states not counting probables like New York did?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a thread I made a few months ago that was hopeful warm weather states wouldn't suffer anywhere near as bad as NY and other states in that green climate band.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284293

You'll see that NY has a 7.5x higher incidence of flu infections. This suggests that citizens in NY are more susceptible to respiratory illnesses, likely due to climate factors and a more congested population density.

Now if the warm weather theory is true, why are these warm weather states experiencing their biggest outbreaks in the summer months? I think it's because the much hotter weather is driving more people indoors into air conditioned environments, and studies have shown covid likes air conditioned environments.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

The area where this office in Korea saw the most infected was in the firing line of the air conditioning's airflow.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sout...g-chart-2020-4
    https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-in-the-south/

We can discount the nursing home deaths, and these cold weather states with a somewhat high population density will suffer more cases and thus deaths than warm weather states. Also, these states count deaths differently. NY counts probables, while the southern states count only positives. I think California also counts confirmed, since we're a bit high on excess deaths over this period.
    NY and NJ are obvious. Why the others? Boston is ranked like 51 in population density. Why is Mass so high on the list? What about DC and Maryland? People fleeing NY infected these areas?

Are you saying NY is fudging their numbers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NY and NJ are obvious. Why the others? Boston is ranked like 51 in population density. Why is Mass so high on the list? What about DC and Maryland? People fleeing NY infected these areas?

Are you saying NY is fudging their numbers?
    Mass is the 5th most dense state in the US. DC is the most dense area in the US.

And look at the deaths outside of New York city.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

I mean, maybe fleeing New Yorkers triggered outbreaks in those states, but I don't think there's evidence of that. Mass had its first confirmed case a month before New York. Traveler from Wuhan.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think so? Even with no Cuomo nursing home order, no let's put everyone with low blood oxygen on a vent, and with dexamethasone and remedesivir? And with other states not counting probables like New York did?
    "probables"
    muh inflated numbers for Zombie Rapist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's because republicans are terrible and democrats are awesome

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ate/provincial

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mass is the 5th most dense state in the US. DC is the most dense area in the US.

I mean, maybe fleeing New Yorkers triggered outbreaks in those states, but I don't think there's evidence of that. Mass had its first confirmed case a month before New York. Traveler from Wuhan.
    Oh, it spreads when people herd together now?

What's the COVID damage from the protests / riots?

TheGreatYacht

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the northeast states are along the same megalopolis from DC to Boston. It's not surprising that all the international entries and travel in the region, states and cities could make the virus hit all these places early and hard almost simultaneously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DC has a pop density 10x that of New Jersey but their deaths per 1M is less than half. Doesn't seem to jibe with the population density thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DC has a pop density 10x that of New Jersey but their deaths per 1M is less than half. Doesn't seem to jibe with the population density thing.
    There's other factors beside pop density, though. It is one of the driving factors, though. Maybe DC, being the capital, mitigated better to protect all the thieving politicians who live there. Maybe they have a healthier population.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might have been easier for the residents to mitigate if a lot of the commuters from VA and MD were working from home.

Thread Information