Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well clearly they were going to suck without their best player and defensive anchor on the floor. But did you expect to see our supposedly hungry young guys get beat so routinely, and so consistently to give up 124 pts to a group of scab Nets? Or 109 in **40 ing minutes** to the Bucks?

Specifically, I had a bit of hope coming into these scrimmages to see a bit of improvement of what we saw all season with these new young kids. I heard Lonnie, and Murray specifically talking about their defensive effort and attention to defense being the most notable thing in these restart practices. I heard Rudy talking about it. Patty. Coach Becky.

And you know what we saw in reality? That was the reason for my post. Of course the D sucked. I just expected a hint of improvement, not a deterioration of it.

I advise you to go listen to their restart practice interviews, and how they were pimping their defense and attention to it as their primary focus in these scrimmages and upcoming games.
    Pop will always have his guys emphasizing defense but the team still doesn't have the personnel to do it anymore. Aldridge being out hurts the defense even more. That's why I'm not surprised the team still sucks. None of their major problems were gonna go away overnight.

I'm with you though. There's no bright future with this current roster. Basically a middle level team is their ceiling. There's no clear cut franchise player on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with you though. There's no bright future with this current roster. Basically a middle level team is their ceiling. There's no clear cut franchise player on the team.
    Bolded for emphasis. This is the reality. Period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    micro ball Spurs paying dividends year after year (the league is getting smaller? we are going to get even smaller so that opponents can still have a physical advantage over our team) ... and since Kawhi Leonard ... 0 SFs on the list
    we still have brilliant ideas here about using guys like Keldon, Murray and Walker as SF, where they would have 0 physical advantage, when any modern office knows that the right thing to do is select wings with any size and use these kids as guards.
    This team is so structurally poorly assembled and for so long that it can't be just a coincidence.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's almost like they built their team around one player who decided to screw them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's almost like they built their team around one player who decided to screw them.
    This excuse will only go so far. He hasn't been on the team for awhile now and they've had time to adjust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their zone looks a little better than their man.

Let's see how the D looks once the games count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their zone looks a little better than their man.

Let's see how the D looks once the games count.
    I imagine just as bad or worse when other teams start trying and playing their best players big minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This excuse will only go so far. He hasn't been on the team for awhile now and they've had time to adjust.
    Time to adjust?

Where are the Cavs now after LeBron left many years ago?

How long did it take for Miami to look respectable again after they lost the big 3? Are they competing for a championship? Do they look like theyll compete next year?

How about OKC? Are they really in a better spot than us? Are they competing for a championship anytime soon? Especially after Paul breaks down?

Lakers after Kobe took how long to be good again?

Yall need to set the same standard for other teams first, and realize youre not being realistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again... "No bright future with this current team" becomes "bright future with this current team" after the Spurs have found a franchise player.

Look at the scrubs on the Dallas team behind Luka.

I'll take our "scrubs" over their scrubs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again... "No bright future with this current team" becomes "bright future with this current team" after the Spurs have found a franchise player.

Look at the scrubs on the Dallas team behind Luka.

I'll take our "scrubs" over their scrubs.
    Just have to hope that franchise player will stay loyal to this team, especially being a small market. The track record of the diva stars these days doesn't give me much hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just have to hope that franchise player will stay loyal to this team, especially being a small market. The track record of the diva stars these days doesn't give me much hope.
    Probably why we're drafting country boys now over big city boys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to adjust?

How long did it take for Miami to look respectable again after they lost the big 3? Are they competing for a championship? Do they look like theyll compete next year?

How about OKC? Are they really in a better spot than us? Are they competing for a championship anytime soon? Especially after Paul breaks down?

Yall need to set the same standard for other teams first, and realize youre not being realistic.
    You don't double down on stupid. This roster was poorly constructed and yet they've only gotten worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So pretty much this team is just as bad as they were before covid19. What a crazy revelation.
    Its like were realizng how much the spurs actually suck all over again

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to adjust?

Are you serious? Okc and Miami are in great shape and have a much, much brighter future than the spurs. The Lakers stocked themselves with assets and were able to use them to land a superstar.

The spurs front office has been trash, rightly comparable to the ty Cavs' front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you serious? Okc and Miami are in great shape and have a much, much brighter future than the spurs. The Lakers stocked themselves with assets and were able to use them to land a superstar.

The spurs front office has been trash, rightly comparable to the ty Cavs' front office.
    Okc is? The only reason theyre in the playoffs is because of Paul. He has one or two good seasons left. Then what? Their future is as uncertain as ours. They have draft picks and so do we. Their future depends on their draft picks panning out. Which newsflash... Isnt a certain thing. They have Shai, but is he a franchise player? Is he better than any of our young players? Sure, but so what? What is he going to lead them to?

Again, you mention the Lakers but how long did it take them to stock themselves? It took them more than a decade. I was responding to the guy who said we have had enough time. Mentioning Lakers is stupid.

Miami's big one is Jimmy Butler. Who is going to take them seriously for the next five years? Jimmy is a tier 2 star at best and likely a tier 3 one. Are they competing for a championship? Do people believe this team will ever get past the Bucks? Theyre in great shape? What happens year after year when theyre knocked out of the playoffs by a true championship team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? Poo-pooing the Heat? Bam is a legit DPOY candidate, Nunn is a steal, and Herro/Robinson are deadly shooters and solid overall. Please...Our young guys can barely do one or two things decently, individually.

Bam/Nunn/Herro/Robinson/DJJ >>>>>>> Murray/White/LW/KJ/Forbes/Sandwich
    Last edited by TimDunkem; 07-27-2020 at 12:13 PM.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need a 3 and getting a decent one of those with their current cap is difficult, btw they actually went after a decent one, but then morris screwed them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? Poo-pooing the Heat? Bam is a legit DPOY candidate, Nunn is a steal, and Herro/Robinson are deadly shooters and solid overall. Please...Our young guys can barely do one or two things decently, individually.
    That's great, good for them. If the goal is the championship, are these your guys? Like I said, the team that loses in the Finals is no further ahead than the team who got knocked out in the first round. I've been watching the league for too long to understand the NBA landscape changes too often to be fooled by "good, but not great" which is what your team is if it comprises of your main core consisting of Bam, Nunn, Herro, and Robinson. The true winning teams rely on their top players. Jimmy Butler is not leading that team anywhere important. Hence why I say again.... They are no closer to a ring than we are when you look at the big picture of things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They need a 3 and getting a decent one of those with their current cap is difficult, btw they actually went after a decent one, but then morris screwed them.
    MM is best used as a 4/5 with spot minutes at the 3. Would've just been another case of a a player being misused.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's great, good for them. If the goal is the championship, are these your guys? Like I said, the team that loses in the Finals is no further ahead than the team who got knocked out in the first round. I've been watching the league for too long to understand the NBA landscape changes too often to be fooled by "good, but not great" which is what your team is if it comprises of your main core consisting of Bam, Nunn, Herro, and Robinson. The true winning teams rely on their top players. Jimmy Butler is not leading that team anywhere important. Hence why I say again.... They are no closer to a ring than we are when you look at the big picture of things.
    Championship isn't in the cards at the moment for either teams but, yes, they are better off as those young guys already are on the fast track to being ELITE role players while ours look like they would make a great bench for an 8th seed.

As of now, they will make the playoffs and we won't. It will happen again next year if all things remain the same.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't waste my breath arguing with most of these dudes man they slob everything other franchises do while ting on the Spurs. The Heat are not some juggernaut

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Championship isn't in the cards at the moment for either teams but, yes, they are better off as those young guys already are on the fast track to being ELITE role players while ours look like they would make a great bench for an 8th seed.

As of now, they will make the playoffs and we won't. It will happen again next year if all things remain the same.
    Your elite role guy Bam is going to be paid as a max player next year. So now your big 2 consists of an aging Jimmy and a big man who is clearly not a star (or at least a tier 2 one). What then?

They wont have any more cap space after signing Bam to a max contract, if i recall correctly.

Future for the Heat after that? Playoff treadmill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your elite role guy Bam is going to be paid as a max player next year. So now your big 2 consists of an aging Jimmy and a big man who is clearly not a star (or at least a tier 2 one). What then?

They wont have any more cap space after signing Bam to a max contract, if i recall correctly.

Future for the Heat after that? Playoff treadmill.
    Meanwhile, Spurs, playoff treadmill? Not even. 9th place treadmill more than likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, Spurs, playoff treadmill? Not even. 9th place treadmill more than likely.
    Not really. We have the 11th pick this year, with a small chance to get into the top 3. We have cap flexibility after we move on from DeMar and Aldridge. We dont have any big salary commitments to players that dont deserve it (or to 2nd tier star players) after those two are gone. Theres a chance for the Spurs to leap frog a lot of teams due to this flexibility.

Now if the Spurs extend DeMar to a stupid contract? Then i will be with you in saying the Spurs.

But wait, are you saying you would be content with a playoff treadmill team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. We have the 11th pick this year, with a small chance to get into the top 3. We have cap flexibility after we move on from DeMar and Aldridge. We dont have any big salary commitments to players that dont deserve it (or to 2nd tier star players) after those two are gone. Theres a chance for the Spurs to leap frog a lot of teams due to this flexibility.

Now if the Spurs extend DeMar to a stupid contract? Then i will be with you in saying the Spurs.
    Don't be surprised if they do extend DeMar because for all your so-called "flexibility" all we have to show for ever having cap space is LMA; no one wants to sign here. And it was up in the air if they would have ever won with him AND Kawhi. Also, with how bad PATFO ed up with DJ over Brogdon and last years draft, I am not expecting much with that 11th pick, but we'll see.

Thread Information