Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So wait, you on the Spurs for the bad picks theyve made the past two years but think OKC is great with drafting? Wtf lmfao
    You're reaching. I didn't say that.

Simply put: Having multiple draft picks/trade assets > not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the does someone look at OKC's situation and not think they have a brighter future than the Spurs?
    i'm struggling to think of a team that doesn't

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top priorities
    Rid of poop
    Rid of Forbes
    Rid of ddr

Then you will be able to breath cause the stench will be gone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm struggling to think of a team that doesn't
    There's several in worse positions such as the Cavs, Knicks, Bulls, Pistons, and Hornets to name a few, but the Spurs definitely aren't as well-off as a slew of other teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like our youth. The rest are getting old or a bad fit. Our coaching seems bad though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so how many years are people gonna pull the "b-but kawhi!!!" defense of this team? there needs to be a serious overhaul and it begins at the top with poopovich.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ill bookmark this thread and come back to it in 2-3 years. Some of yall are too shortsighted to actually think things dont change quick in the NBA. Been watching the NBA too long.
    NBA history is littered with the corpses of "teams of the future" that never became teams of the present.

This board is also littered with the (unfortunately apparently undead) corpses of cliffjumpers. The team sucks now? Sure. But that doesn't mean it will suck forever, or even necessarily for the next few years. As you say, things can change quickly in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope y’all enjoyed the ride gentlemen bc we aren’t making the playoffs in a very long time. We are now the worst team in our own division.

Rockets will be better than us for as long as they have their dynamic duo.
    Dallas has the future best player in the world in Luka.
    As ty as the Grizzlies are run, even they had a better season. Ja is a stud. Surround him with shooters and that team will be scary... for a first round upset
    Pelicans have youth and a franchise player in Zion, so long as they give him the Kawhi treatment.

We are the runt of the litter, boys.
    Sadly this was part of my calculation in voicing a lack of hope in our D. There's no way this team defense hangs with Morant, Jackson, and their role players or Ball, Ingram, and Zion. We seem to match up better with the Mavs...for now. But they are one more player away from challenging for chips for years to come. Rockets will self implode before long. It's what they do. But you're spot on. We'll be fighting for 3rd, 4th, or even 5th place for the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

We have to land a stud with this year's draft. The players have to develop next year. If those two things don't happen, this team's headed for a multi-year stretch out of the playoffs.

Somebody said above but we need to have a really good summer/draft/offseason. It's crucial to this organization's future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA history is littered with the corpses of "teams of the future" that never became teams of the present.

This board is also littered with the (unfortunately apparently undead) corpses of cliffjumpers. The team sucks now? Sure. But that doesn't mean it will suck forever, or even necessarily for the next few years. As you say, things can change quickly in the NBA.
    Not sure if you're referencing me since I started the thread, but my history on the board more often than not put me in the sunshine pumper club. I've been criticized for being hopeful about the team or individual players since I've been here, much of it as an anonymous user.

But, I go back to my OP...the defense has historically been what the Spurs were known for, and what they hung their hat on. It's what Pop always prioritized. I simply cannot believe I see a Pop coached team where he stopped getting up in ppl's ass for failing to play stout D. He's gotten soft over the last couple of years. ((This has been crystal clear since DeMar got here and he got away with chucking the ball into the stands, lying on the floor, not hustling, etc. I think he felt sorry for DD since he picked him to replace Kawhi and felt like he needed to bend to DD's ways)).

Regardless, I'm not that negative nancy type. There are plenty on the board. You know who they are. Which should make it all the worse that even I have seen troubling signs. The D ought to be ahead of the offense. It's not.

And often times, it's showing that it's talent or ability (basketball IQ even) based, moreso than experience or physical limitations. Don't forget, these young players themselves were bragging about how we'd see better play once they got their chance. That defense would be their focus. That effort would show. In fact, I'm more dissuaded by their showing than that of the older, slower vets.

I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to have an easy solution. Coaching seems off. Talent seems off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not just about the Spurs but the other teams you mentioned. You act like these other teams will become dynasties. All Im saying is things change so quick. Im not even saying just the Spurs. This is an example of people like you not seeing past the short term future when you make a remark of the Spurs making the playoffs. You set the bar so low.
    Im not saying they’re contenders or anything but short of an injury it’s hard to argue that the Spurs are better positioned than anybody in their own division. Short term or long term. Short term, Harden, Westbrook, and Luka are MVP level players, long term too. Short term Zion is a beast of a player. Long term, he’s going to get better. Short term, the Grizzlies are currently better than the Spurs and seemed to have found there man in Ja. Long term, I don’t know bc they aren’t a well run organization. But I’ll tell you one thing, it’s disheartening to see that run place in Memphis do better than us this year when we supposedly had all our ducks in a row. But if you want to bring long term into this brother then you’re the one short minded not me

We lost too much talent to think long term. We lost every assistant coach we had except Becky. We lost Marks to the Nets. We lost Peter Holt. These are big people to lose for any corporation and now we have to replace them on the fly. And when you start to do that, that’s when organizational problems start to emerge. Bc we will have a rookie unproven coach to replace a legend. We have an unproven GM who really wasn’t our first choice to begin with. And some spoiled brats who know nothin about owning a team running things. And that’s before we even get to the players who I’m not exactly sold on. We have good young players but time will tell if they can become great players. And now we have to cross our fingers every time we draft that we don’t end up a fool.

You say the bar is low. But I say that it’s pretty high when you factor in all these things. the Lakers went 6 years without making the playoffs in a storied franchise, with models and movie stars, perfect weather, and a city that every player wants to live in. But even with all those perks they couldn’t overcome their bad organizational structure. Spurs, in my estimation, are on the same kind of track to end up like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't blame the young guys IMO. The bleeding starts when 2 of Forbes, DeRozan or Eubanks have come in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team sucks.

It is what it is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we have a great offseason if mills,forbes,lma,derozan&gay all return?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not Forbes and I say Gay as well. You can live with Mills for another year. Upgrading our 4 is a must.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t blame the young guys, the problem is we don’t have much size right now. We’re playing just about everybody 1 spot above their position.

"We may be small, but at least we're slow."

You can't be a dictator and avoid responsibility for your ed up roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep
    Not only is poop a bad coach
    he is a bad gm
    Holts need to send poop into politics

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if you're referencing me since I started the thread, but my history on the board more often than not put me in the sunshine pumper club. I've been criticized for being hopeful about the team or individual players since I've been here, much of it as an anonymous user.

But, I go back to my OP...the defense has historically been what the Spurs were known for, and what they hung their hat on. It's what Pop always prioritized. I simply cannot believe I see a Pop coached team where he stopped getting up in ppl's ass for failing to play stout D. He's gotten soft over the last couple of years. ((This has been crystal clear since DeMar got here and he got away with chucking the ball into the stands, lying on the floor, not hustling, etc. I think he felt sorry for DD since he picked him to replace Kawhi and felt like he needed to bend to DD's ways)).

Regardless, I'm not that negative nancy type. There are plenty on the board. You know who they are. Which should make it all the worse that even I have seen troubling signs. The D ought to be ahead of the offense. It's not.

And often times, it's showing that it's talent or ability (basketball IQ even) based, moreso than experience or physical limitations. Don't forget, these young players themselves were bragging about how we'd see better play once they got their chance. That defense would be their focus. That effort would show. In fact, I'm more dissuaded by their showing than that of the older, slower vets.

I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't seem to have an easy solution. Coaching seems off. Talent seems off.
    No, I wasn't referring to you at all. Your criticisms are valid.

I just don't see a reason to project pessimism more than a year or two into the future, especially when most of the team's big contracts roll off after next season.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I like our youth. The rest are getting old or a bad fit. Our coaching seems bad though.
    Murray White and Walker have potentail but the silly pursuit of the playoffs ...has stifled their development and ability to scout if they are legit foundational (doubt any of them are cornerstone) pieces of a future contender.
    If any of you are saying you know for sure its homerism. But by going with vets it will take next year to find out... when maybe you lose a few more games early but you would be closer to those answers especially on defense.
    I think media and front office dont give true hardcore fans the credit to be patient eith young players. Pre shaqobe post Showtime Lakers didnt win but i enjoyed Peeler Van Exel and Eddie jones. They were young fun teams ...
    Spurs could be like that develop talent and then trade it for a star ...or even better hit on another Kaehi...
    He really did yall over ...
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 07-28-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it comes to rebuilding I hope the Spurs don't end up with small guard as their best player ala Portland with Lillard or the Hornets with Kemba. Over 90 percent of the time when a team wins a le their best player is 6'6 or above. If you look at all the contenders their best player is taller than 6'6. I know I'm height biased but in the last 40 years there has only been 3 guys who have won a le below that height being the best player on their team and those guys were Wade in '06, Curry in '15, Isiah Thomas '89 and '90.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray White and Walker have potentail but the silly pursuit of the playoffs ...has stifled their development and ability to scout if they are legit foundational (doubt any of them are cornerstone) pieces of a future contender.
    If any of you are saying you know for sure its homerism. But by going with vets it will take next year to find out... when maybe you lose a few more games early but you would be closer to those answers especially on defense.
    I think media and front office dont give true hardcore fans the credit to be patient eith young players. Pre shaqobe post Showtime Lakers didnt win but i enjoyed Peeler Van Exel and Eddie jones. They were young fun teams ...
    Spurs could be like that develop talent and then trade it for a star ...or even better hit on another Kaehi...
    He really did yall over ...
    I am pretty sure Spurs did shop DD and LMA to go full youth, but they never received the package. My disappointment was playing Beli way to much (probably an over reaction for losing Bertans). There is no excuse for playing Forbes. Pop seemed so scared the lack of shooters would be worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice if we add some size in the upcoming draft. In my opinion, we need a true rim protector in the worst way. I would love to see how James Wiseman would develop under the tutelage of David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump.

On pace for a 42 pt quarter from the Kings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope y’all enjoyed the ride gentlemen bc we aren’t making the playoffs in a very long time. We are now the worst team in our own division.

Rockets will be better than us for as long as they have their dynamic duo.
    Dallas has the future best player in the world in Luka.
    As ty as the Grizzlies are run, even they had a better season. Ja is a stud. Surround him with shooters and that team will be scary... for a first round upset
    Pelicans have youth and a franchise player in Zion, so long as they give him the Kawhi treatment.

We are the runt of the litter, boys.
    Ill bookmark this thread and come back to it in 2-3 years. Some of yall are too shortsighted to actually think things dont change quick in the NBA. Been watching the NBA too long.

LOLLLLLLL

Morey stepped down. He saw it's a show with the new owner.

They're a ing mess. With their "dynamic duo" or without. This is like Paul George + Westbrook again. Big pretenders. The only direction they're going is down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOLLLLLLL

Morey stepped down. He saw it's a show with the new owner.

They're a ing mess. With their "dynamic duo" or without. This is like Paul George + Westbrook again. Big pretenders. The only direction they're going is down.
    I never said they would win the championship only that they will be better than us. It's too early to be tooting your horn there pal. It could be argued that Morey was the reason why they didn't take the next step. It's not as if we are on an upward trend. Both teams are spiraling, but they started off at a higher point than us.

But if the Rockets have a worse record than us in 2 years I will happily eat crow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said they would win the championship only that they will be better than us. It's too early to be tooting your horn there pal. It could be argued that Morey was the reason why they didn't take the next step. It's not as if we are on an upward trend. Both teams are spiraling, but they started off at a higher point than us.

But if the Rockets have a worse record than us in 2 years I will happily eat crow
    Morey is the GM most unappeased Spurs fans wish they had. The current Spurs are a model of inaction, while Morey's a GM of action. The Spurs had the #1 winning record in the NBA since 2007, with Morey's Rockets being 2nd. It's the classic turtle vs rabbit. How could the Spurs not be on an upward trend? They have all their picks, while the Rockets have none for several years. The Spurs have young talent, the Rockets don't. Westbrook is breaking down and is taking much of the cap, he'll handicap that team from improving for years to come.

"A higher point" doesn't matter. Ten years from now, people don't remember your team when you get knocked out of the WCF, or get knocked out of the semifinals round like this year's Rockets. It's moot point whenever that's brought up. Every team is just like the next when you don't win the Finals. Things change quickly, just like that.

Thread Information