Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Morey is the GM most unappeased Spurs fans wish they had. The current Spurs are a model of inaction, while Morey's a GM of action. The Spurs had the #1 winning record in the NBA since 2007, with Morey's Rockets being 2nd. It's the classic turtle vs rabbit. How could the Spurs not be on an upward trend? They have all their picks, while the Rockets have none for several years. The Spurs have young talent, the Rockets don't. Westbrook is breaking down and is taking much of the cap, he'll handicap that team from improving for years to come.

"A higher point" doesn't matter. Ten years from now, people don't remember your team when you get knocked out of the WCF, or get knocked out of the semifinals round like this year's Rockets. It's moot point whenever that's brought up. Every team is just like the next when you don't win the Finals. Things change quickly, just like that.
    It sounds good, but we just have different perspectives. I mean if you're going 10 whole years from now then yes I should hope we are at an upward trend. I don't put that much stock into the youth. I hope they develop but nothing I saw last year really gives me any hope. We would need a top 3 pick for me to feel good about our future. Do you expect us to make the playoffs next year? The year after that? Well we better bc that's how you build a losing culture and wind up like Minn, or Sacto. not even Lebron could instantly change the Lakers losing ass culture.

All of our eggs were in the Kawhi basket and they broke
    Moved em to Demar basket and they broke
    The DJ basket and they broke
    People were hopping the Lonnie bandwagon saying he was the future and our Dwayne Wade... jury is still out but the eggs are cracking
    Now we are all aboard the Mustang Express (myself included) here's hoping. Fingers crossed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this before and I will say it again the chances of us getting another le in our lifetime are slim to none. And if we keep drafting in the 11 to 18 range we’ll it will be more of the “None” vs. the Slim. We need to tank in order to get that Franchise changing player like we did for Timmy and Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds good, but we just have different perspectives. I mean if you're going 10 whole years from now then yes I should hope we are at an upward trend. I don't put that much stock into the youth. I hope they develop but nothing I saw last year really gives me any hope. We would need a top 3 pick for me to feel good about our future. Do you expect us to make the playoffs next year? The year after that? Well we better bc that's how you build a losing culture and wind up like Minn, or Sacto. not even Lebron could instantly change the Lakers losing ass culture.

All of our eggs were in the Kawhi basket and they broke
    Moved em to Demar basket and they broke
    The DJ basket and they broke
    People were hopping the Lonnie bandwagon saying he was the future and our Dwayne Wade... jury is still out but the eggs are cracking
    Now we are all aboard the Mustang Express (myself included) here's hoping. Fingers crossed
    Well, if we suck enough as a team, we're bound to have a top 3 pick somewhere in those 10 years, right? I'm not on the "our youth will carry us to a chip" bandwagon yet, either, but there's no reason to be more optimistic about the Rockettes' future than the Spurs', tbh. Especially after they've lost Morey. And culture is something the Spurs (yet) don't have to worry about, they can afford to miss the playoffs a couple years and ride on the coattails of recent success before it begins to crumble down, IMO. With the Spurs' drafting department, I'm not too worried.

Also, please link those takes of Lonnie being the next Dwade, lmao. You can be excited about a player and still be realistic about their ceilings... All I'm saying is, there will come many "baskets" in the future. Many "chips" that could be molded into special players. I trust the Spurs more than I do other teams of realizing their players' potential, and that should eventually lead into at least a winning team that can hold its own in the playoffs.

I said this before and I will say it again the chances of us getting another le in our lifetime are slim to none. And if we keep drafting in the 11 to 18 range we’ll it will be more of the “None” vs. the Slim. We need to tank in order to get that Franchise changing player like we did for Timmy and Duncan.
    This is way too reactionary. I might be underestimating the mean of SpursTalk users' ages, but that's like another 50 years of so away. Yeah, our chances to see a le in that window might be worse than the Lakers or Warriors, but I'd say we have quite better odds than most teams out there. Despite not having a true superstar on the team, the culture is good, the coaching (though puzzling this season) is still good, especially the off-the-court stuff like development and shooting coaches; we've got all our picks and an excellent drafting record using them, and all the time in the world to aim for that next Timmy/DRob/Whomever. Now, if you said that about the Timberwolves, I'd be inclined to agree, but it's too far a debbie-downer take, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami got into the Finals without a top 10 pick. Sure, they had Jimmy Butler come to them but it isn't like Jimmy is a special player.

LeBron's reign won't be long. After he's gone, then it's anybody's ball game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami is a destination city, Butler is a top 15 player and the "bubble" eliminated home court advantage (granted, they beat both the Bucks and to a lesser extent Celtics handily enough that it's reasonable to conclude that it wouldn't have swung either series, but still).

No path is likely to lead to contention, especially in a non glamour market, but it's inarguable that you almost always need elite talent to win a championship and the likelihood of finding it is greater the higher up you pick.

James will eventually age out, but superstars congregating in glamour markets more than likely won't and developing a bunch of mid-late picks into good role players isn't going to cut it against those teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said they would win the championship only that they will be better than us. It's too early to be tooting your horn there pal. It could be argued that Morey was the reason why they didn't take the next step. It's not as if we are on an upward trend. Both teams are spiraling, but they started off at a higher point than us.

But if the Rockets have a worse record than us in 2 years I will happily eat crow
    Is it too early still?

Time and time again I say this same line: THINGS CHANGE QUICK IN THE NBA.

Don't look at seasons in a vacuum.

Don't be shortsighted.

Don't be a cliff jumper.

Don't fall for the hype of these teams or young, flashy players who sizzle fast. It happens EVERY TIME.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Bear
    Haren
    no D
    poor man's Ginobili
    can't play with other superstars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway we could get PJ?