My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gohmert's coronavirus case sparks renewed debate over lawmaker testing
    At least one member of congressional leadership is ready for stricter rules.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said congressional leaders may need to rethink their coronavirus protocols — including requiring regular testing for members — after Rep. Louie Gohmert tested positive Wednesday.

Gohmert (R-Texas), who frequently refuses to wear a mask around the Capitol, tested positive during a pre-screening by the White House before a scheduled flight with President Donald Trump to Texas — news that quickly reverberated across the Hill.

“We’re not mandating testing at this point… but we’re discussing that,” Hoyer (D-Md.) told reporters Wednesday. “We have discussed it in the past. This is a moment, I think, where we ought to be discussing it again.”

So far, congressional leaders in both chambers have refused to implement routine testing for lawmakers, even rejecting an offer from the administration to supply rapid tests for members to use. And some senior aides have privately questioned how leadership would require tests when they can’t even get every member to wear a mask.

But some senior lawmakers have continued to push their leaders to adopt a more frequent testing regimen. That includes Senate Health Committee Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), who said Wednesday that he’s told GOP leaders that all members should be tested when they return to the Capitol after a recess “so we’re not carriers coming back and forth.”

“I have said for weeks that I think it’s a good idea for us to be tested,” Alexander added.

While House Democrats implemented proxy voting in an effort to discourage at-risk members from flying back and forth to Washington, Republicans have refused to participate. The result is hundreds of lawmakers traveling from across the country — many coming from hot spots like Florida, Texas and Arizona — to vote and attend committee hearings in person.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...testing-386327

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darwin's alternative statement: extinction of the dumbest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ".....WASHINGTON — Attorney General William Barr will be tested for coronavirus Wednesday after coming into contact with Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, who tested positive Wednesday morning.

Barr had contact with Gohmert on Tuesday when the attorney general visited Capitol Hill to testify before the House Judiciary Committee. ..."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looney G thinks he got C19 from a mask!

Looney G shows up at office to stun them with the announcment, but w/o a mask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gohmert's aides reportedly found out about the positive test from media reports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Farts and prayers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he lives then does that mean it's a non issue?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More proof that if this guy can get elected to Congress, anyone can...

Thread Information