Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

Supreme version of James White, and we all know how much of a thorn James White was in the side of Patriots' opponents over the years.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...ob-gronkowski/

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Weird. He's bad at pass protection. And surely has less juice than Jones at this point in his career. Can't imagine he gets much time unless there are some injuries.
    Good pass catcher though.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    He’s better than James White in the sense that having him in the backfield isn’t a dead giveaway that you’re running a pass play, but he isn’t as good a pass catcher as White. He’s an upgrade on 1st and 2nd down, but on obvious passing downs I’d prefer James White.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Weird. He's bad at pass protection. And surely has less juice than Jones at this point in his career. Can't imagine he gets much time unless there are some injuries.
    Good pass catcher though.
    So is James White, but the Patriots don't use him in blitz pick up, they use(d) him as a scatback on passing downs. If the other team blitzed, Brady would check if Edelman/Welker or Gronk was open and if not, quickly dump it off to White before the rush got home. Similar to Kevin Faulk. That'll be McCoy's role. Jones draws the Sony Michel, LeGarrette Blount role.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    Has he learnt how to properly hold a football while running yet?

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    Between the whole "QB-on-his-1st-year-under-Arians" thing and now this, I'm expecting the Bucks to be among the leaders in giveaways, tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    So is James White, but the Patriots don't use him in blitz pick up, they use(d) him as a scatback on passing downs. If the other team blitzed, Brady would check if Edelman/Welker or Gronk was open and if not, quickly dump it off to White before the rush got home. Similar to Kevin Faulk. That'll be McCoy's role. Jones draws the Sony Michel, LeGarrette Blount role.
    Is that right? What's your basis for White not being a good in pass protection? It's widely acknowledged that McCoy is terrible. I don't remember seeing anything close to that for White.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Is that right? What's your basis for White not being a good in pass protection? It's widely acknowledged that McCoy is terrible. I don't remember seeing anything close to that for White.
    that wasn't White's role in new england, he is the dictionary definition of a scatback, and he's more than a little small to be picking up 245+ pound LBs

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Between the whole "QB-on-his-1st-year-under-Arians" thing and now this, I'm expecting the Bucks to be among the leaders in giveaways, tbh.
    Especially with Antetokounmpo toting the rock, tbh.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    Especially with Antetokounmpo toting the rock, tbh.
    Victim of habit, tbh. I haven't had to type Bucs name in a long time.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    that wasn't White's role in new england, he is the dictionary definition of a scatback, and he's more than a little small to be picking up 245+ pound LBs
    What the are you talking about? I mentioned that McCoy was a ty blocker and you’re the one that brought up White as a comparison. I think White was pretty competent. At least I haven’t read that it was a weakness like McCoy.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    What the are you talking about? I mentioned that McCoy was a ty blocker and you’re the one that brought up White as a comparison. I think White was pretty competent. At least I haven’t read that it was a weakness like McCoy.
    They kept Rex f***ing Burkhead on that team for years because he was the best one suited for that role even though he was pretty useless as a runner and just okay as a receiver. But Burkhead in the game was usually a very short run or simply telegraphed a pass, though Burkhead was up to the blitz pick-up job.

Sony Michel was physically best suited for pass protection from the RB spot, but he didn't perform well at it and was an atrocious receiver out of the backfield, so putting him in the game almost telegraphed a run. When they elected to pass with Michel in the backfield, the play didn't usually turn out well.

They tended to get the most yards (run or pass) with White in the game, because White was (a) an oddly slippery runner (albeit not usually a home run threat), so having him didn't necessarily telegraph a pass, and (b) as they would pass it more with White in the game, Brady found him exceptionally handy in the receiving game, and he had the tendency to juke and slip past linebackers for extra yardage after the catch as well.

If you noticed, with White in the game he'd either (a) run a short check-down or "hot" route (most common), (b) get the handoff (second most common case), or (c) run a somewhat deeper route like a wheel or angle-in (which he was oddly capable of; despite his size, he had good hands and speed). Very rarely would he (d) be assigned by Brady/McDaniels to stay in the pocket to pick up an assailing blitzer >50 pounds bigger than him, because they knew that was a waste of his best abilities.

McCoy... yes I watched a ton of Eagles games with Vick/Foles/Chez back in the day, and he was/is a selfish lazyass, one who would sandbag any assignment that didn't involve him getting the ball, either on a handoff or catch... but he's not the only one.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    They kept Rex f***ing Burkhead on that team for years because he was the best one suited for that role even though he was pretty useless as a runner and just okay as a receiver. But Burkhead in the game was usually a very short run or simply telegraphed a pass, though Burkhead was up to the blitz pick-up job.

Sony Michel was physically best suited for pass protection from the RB spot, but he didn't perform well at it and was an atrocious receiver out of the backfield, so putting him in the game almost telegraphed a run. When they elected to pass with Michel in the backfield, the play didn't usually turn out well.

They tended to get the most yards (run or pass) with White in the game, because White was (a) an oddly slippery runner (albeit not usually a home run threat), so having him didn't necessarily telegraph a pass, and (b) as they would pass it more with White in the game, Brady found him exceptionally handy in the receiving game, and he had the tendency to juke and slip past linebackers for extra yardage after the catch as well.

If you noticed, with White in the game he'd either (a) run a short check-down or "hot" route (most common), (b) get the handoff (second most common case), or (c) run a somewhat deeper route like a wheel or angle-in (which he was oddly capable of; despite his size, he had good hands and speed). Very rarely would he (d) be assigned by Brady/McDaniels to stay in the pocket to pick up an assailing blitzer >50 pounds bigger than him, because they knew that was a waste of his best abilities.

McCoy... yes I watched a ton of Eagles games with Vick/Foles/Chez back in the day, and he was/is a selfish lazyass, one who would sandbag any assignment that didn't involve him getting the ball, either on a handoff or catch... but he's not the only one.
    Again...then why the did you bring up White as a comparison to McCoy??????????????????????????????

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Again...then why the did you bring up White as a comparison to McCoy??????????????????????????????
    simple, Tampa Tom's scatback tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    simple, Tampa Tom's scatback tbh.
    Bend over, I'll ing show you scat back.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Tampa Tom loves him some scat back. Bell cow, not so much, even if they're winning by 28, Tampa Tom wants the ball to pad his yardage stats to widen the "GOAT" margin over Mahomes as much as he can before he calls it a career.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Don't know why honestly they overuse Jones who is next to useless since the line can't really run block. Need a more steady diet of Shady playing the James White / Faulk role for the Bucs to improve offensively.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    Between the whole "QB-on-his-1st-year-under-Arians" thing and now this, I'm expecting the Bucs to be among the leaders in giveaways, tbh.
    Already 2 INTS. Now they only need to start giving touches to McFumble.

Thread Information