Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    I was walking down the hall to the bathroom the other day and started flapping my arms. Not sure why but just felt like it.

But it made me wonder if there was some speed that I could flap my arms at that would provide enough lift to make me hover or fly. Or will there never be enough surface area / lift to allow me to take flight.

And this doesn't have to be a real life discussion. Theoretically, is there some speed that a human could flap his arms at and achieve flight?
    free body diagram my homie. Your wings will never flap fast enough/the Earth air mix will never have the viscosity to exceed the downward gravitational force of your fat ass, especially just after those breakfast tacos.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    free body diagram my homie. Your wings will never flap fast enough/the Earth air mix will never have the viscosity to exceed the downward gravitational force of your fat ass, especially just after those breakfast tacos.
    I'm not sure why everyone here thinks I'm fat. I've pretty svelte. Plus, I said, "theoretically". Obviously, I can't flap my arms fast enough right now. But with some body modifications, maybe it's possible.
    I'm just trying to figure out what to do in my spare time. If achieving flight is a possibility, then I might decide to not rewatch Downton Abbey. Or maybe I spend less time playing video games.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    free body diagram my homie.
    Holy crap.
    somebody understands

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm not sure why everyone here thinks I'm fat. I've pretty svelte. Plus, I said, "theoretically". Obviously, I can't flap my arms fast enough right now. But with some body modifications, maybe it's possible.
    I'm just trying to figure out what to do in my spare time. If achieving flight is a possibility, then I might decide to not rewatch Downton Abbey. Or maybe I spend less time playing video games.
    That picture DMC put up of the hummingbird and robot.
    Thats what you will have to be able to do, cambering your arms at exactly the right interval of time in the arm stroke.
    I say you sprint the 200 and merely hold you cambered arms out and take off. That would be much easier, especially considering your MS sprint times.
    Now after you become airborne, you will have to learn a stroke that will require you to camber your arms at exactly the right time.

Or like the buzzard and albatross, you might just look for the right air currents. It would really be much easier if you had hollow bones and feathers. Might look to the fruit bat as the example of the largest mammal that actually flies for tips. You will have to grow skin between very enlarged finger bones though to act as your cambered wing instead of arms.

Tough proposition, Godspeed...

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not sure why everyone here thinks I'm fat.
    Your terrible taste in audio gear.

Thread Information