Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was walking down the hall to the bathroom the other day and started flapping my arms. Not sure why but just felt like it.

But it made me wonder if there was some speed that I could flap my arms at that would provide enough lift to make me hover or fly. Or will there never be enough surface area / lift to allow me to take flight.

And this doesn't have to be a real life discussion. Theoretically, is there some speed that a human could flap his arms at and achieve flight?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also...for you smart asses...I'm not worried about control at this point.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    No matter how hard you fap you'll never fly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're creating lift in both directions, so opposing forces. Plus you're probably a fat ass.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You're creating lift in both directions, so opposing forces. Plus you're probably a fat ass.
    so if you jumped off a ladder and flap your wings arms as fast as SF six you would stay suspended in air.

that’s cool

you don’t want to mention gravity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Keep practicing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    practicing what?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so if you jumped off a ladder and flap your wings arms as fast as SF six you would stay suspended in air.

that’s cool

you don’t want to mention gravity.
    Helicopters face gravitational forces. It doesn't stop them from flying. If he gained enough positive lift even off of a ladder, or building, or whatever... he'd be able to hover. Neutralizing forces means gravity is the boss. I did say he's a fat ass. Why do you think that matters? Without gravity you don't need lift. You only need propulsion (space travel).

I get it you think you're a physics guru but it's quite obvious you lack basic reasoning skills.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    practicing what?
    This. He should keep practicing this like 14 hours per day for the next 20 years:
    I was walking down the hall to the bathroom the other day and started flapping my arms. Not sure why but just felt like it.

But it made me wonder if there was some speed that I could flap my arms at that would provide enough lift to make me hover or fly. Or will there never be enough surface area / lift to allow me to take flight.

And this doesn't have to be a real life discussion. Theoretically, is there some speed that a human could flap his arms at and achieve flight?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Helicopters face gravitational forces. It doesn't stop them from flying. If he gained enough positive lift even off of a ladder, or building, or whatever... he'd be able to hover. Neutralizing forces means gravity is the boss. I did say he's a fat ass. Why do you think that matters? Without gravity you don't need lift. You only need propulsion (space travel).

I get it you think you're a physics guru but it's quite obvious you lack basic reasoning skills.
    you said he would get lift in both directions.
    That is stupid.

he won’t get a lift in either direction.

he will fall because of gravity has nothing to do with lift.
    i’m not a guru, but I’m not you either thankfully

and being a fat ass does not make him accelerate down any differently unless it changes his resistance to air

Drop a marble and a bowling ball from the same height and tell me which one is the ground first

SF6 would be your bowling ball

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Helicopters get lift because the blade is basically a moving wing.
    Jets get lift because they propel themselves horizontally and the air rushing over the nonmoving wing creates lift because it’s cambered just like the helicopter blade

you love getting yourself in messes

A little addition

A propeller is also basically a moving wing that gets the plane moving horizontally until the air rushes over the wings fast enough so that the wings give it lift up
    Last edited by pgardn; 07-31-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    This. He should keep practicing this like 14 hours per day for the next 20 years:
    you want injured?

And not from falling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you said he would get lift in both directions.
    That is stupid.

he won’t get a lift in either direction.

he will fall because of gravity has nothing to do with lift.
    i’m not a guru, but I’m not you either thankfully

and being a fat ass does not make him accelerate down any differently unless it changes his resistance to air

Drop a marble and a bowling ball from the same height and tell me which one is the ground first

SF6 would be your bowling ball
    his arm isn't a bowling ball. On the downward stroke he would create a small amount of upward lift. One the up stroke he would create a small amount of downward push. if there's wind coming from his flailing arms, he's pushing air therefore creating some equal and opposite reaction force, though canceling as the frequency increases and the force peaks become closer together.

Being a fat ass means he's affected more by gravity. It takes more thrust to get a C5 off the ground than to get a Cessna off the ground, because of weight. He doesn't need to accelerate down since he's on the ground, dip . You put him on ladder. Tie the marble to a quadcopter then tie the bowling ball, see which one gets lifted.

You really do try too hard to be impressive but your lack of common sense makes you look pedantic and trite, and stupid.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    his arm isn't a bowling ball. On the downward stroke he would create a small amount of upward lift. One the up stroke he would create a small amount of downward push. if there's wind coming from his flailing arms, he's pushing air therefore creating some equal and opposite reaction force, though canceling as the frequency increases and the force peaks become closer together.

Being a fat ass means he's affected more by gravity. It takes more thrust to get a C5 off the ground than to get a Cessna off the ground, because of weight. He doesn't need to accelerate down since he's on the ground, dip . You put him on ladder. Tie the marble to a quadcopter then tie the bowling ball, see which one gets lifted.

You really do try too hard to be impressive but your lack of common sense makes you look pedantic and trite, and stupid.
    His arm is only moving two inches when he faps though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    His arm is only moving two inches when he faps though.
    Only his wrist or his sister's wrist.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Helicopters get lift because the blade is basically a moving wing.
    Jets get lift because they propel themselves horizontally and the air rushing over the nonmoving wing creates lift because it’s cambered just like the helicopter blade

you love getting yourself in messes

A little addition

A propeller is also basically a moving wing that gets the plane moving horizontally until the air rushes over the wings fast enough so that the wings give it lift up

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    OP, if you attach a turbine to your ass, you probably will get lift... might not even need to flap, tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

No he is NOT affected more by gravity. A bowling ball accelerates in free fall the same as a marble basically.
    The Earth will attract him (the bowling ball) with a greater force, but because he has more inertia (a fat ass bowlling ball) he will accelerate down at the same rate as a marble.
    This was a huge finding by Galileo and then explained by Newton. And its NOT common sense unless you know a tiny bit of physics, which you dont.

Lift is absolutely not created by the mechanism you describe. The downward stroke WOULD not give him lift. Lift is created by air moving over surfaces with different shapes, the cambered wing being the best example.

Keep going.
    Common sense physics guy.
    Display your ignorance again.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Exactly how you should feel.
    Why do you always stick your penis for brain in places you should not?
    Bottom line is you dont know what the fck you are talking about.

Keep going.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    But on the upward flap, I’m rotating my palms out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No he is NOT affected more by gravity. A bowling ball accelerates in free fall the same as a marble basically.
    The Earth will attract him (the bowling ball) with a greater force, but because he has more inertia (a fat ass bowlling ball) he will accelerate down at the same rate as a marble.
    This was a huge finding by Galileo and then explained by Newton. And its NOT common sense unless you know a tiny bit of physics, which you dont.

Lift is absolutely not created by the mechanism you describe. The downward stroke WOULD not give him lift. Lift is created by air moving over surfaces with different shapes, the cambered wing being the best example.

Keep going.
    That was one of the cooler things I learned in early physics. That a feather and bowling ball would hit the ground at the same time if dropped from the same height in a vacuum.

Also that regardless of lateral speed, gravity has the same effect. Can’t remember the exact law. But a bullet shot from a gun would hit the ground the same time as a dropped bullet. Assuming the gun was parallel to the ground. I suppose that would have to be in a vacuum to be exact.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Keep going.
    he's also assuming that the downward flap will have the same (or opposite) effect as the upward stroke such that they will negate one another, which isnt necessarily true

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Keep going.

So the arm to hand doesn't have different shapes and flapping doesn't create air movement over the surfaces, so birds never get into the air via thrust, flapping their wings is useless and they only "fly" because of what you described. All else is fraud.

You're like a 1st year physics student fixated on terminology and blind to common sense.

Bowling ball/marble means if you're standing on the ground already. Heavier objects require more thrust to take off ergo more affected by gravity. Everyone knows 1st year physics (9th grade actually) so your physics ciphering doesn't impress.

You're a dumb ass. Pretty certain you're OCD and most likely bipolar.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    he's also assuming that the downward flap will have the same (or opposite) effect as the upward stroke such that they will negate one another, which isnt necessarily true
    Not necessarily untrue either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Not necessarily untrue either.
    true

Thread Information