tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How awesome would it be to win the flukiest championship ever?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought of an even better tagline - No Pick for Number Six

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fo-fo-fo-fo

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Potential legendary Spurs thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Break up the Spurs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something happening here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Memphis game gave fans a view of what a starting back court of White and Murray could accomplish:

White: 16 pts, 7 assists, 6 rebounds
    Murray: 21 pts, 3 assists, 10 rebounds, 2 steals

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Memphis game gave fans a view of what a starting back court of White and Murray could accomplish:

hope we aint gonna back to those forbes/belli and all old ass veterans era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How awesome would it be to win the flukiest championship ever?
    To the contrary, with all the stuff to overcome this is one of the more challenging years to win it.

Sure it's like no other year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing in. Spurs perimeter youth is looking Glad to see it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The young guns aren't completely running the show, but it's close enough to make the Spurs fun to watch again.

Our offense used to feel forced and hopeless. A woeful mixed of difficult twos and challenged threes, with our rookies standing around watching. Now the rookies dribble, pass, and create--and it's messy--but there's something workable there.

Our defense used to be regimented but obviously overwhelmed. Now we have size and length and quickness and in addition to making the opponents work, we capitalize on our steals and blocks.

Any time we have at least two of our "Young 4" out there I feel like we can compete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw some of the best ball movement of the season in today's game.. it looked like the old Spurs with new players tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of things can still happen that impact our chances for success. It's possible to dream about a 6th and certainly to at least make the playoffs:

Popped could get Covid (not wishing it upon him, but if he got some mild version and had to leave the bubble or be quarantined.)
    Bryn Bryn could remain injured.
    Patty could insist on continuing to reduce his own minutes. I think Patty has the type personality to realize others are better and need more minutes.
    Gay could get some minor injury that would allow him to play, but reduce his minutes

2,3, and 4 would not be necessary if #1 happened.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The young guns aren't completely running the show, but it's close enough to make the Spurs fun to watch again.

Our offense used to feel forced and hopeless. A woeful mixed of difficult twos and challenged threes, with our rookies standing around watching. Now the rookies dribble, pass, and create--and it's messy--but there's something workable there.

Our defense used to be regimented but obviously overwhelmed. Now we have size and length and quickness and in addition to making the opponents work, we capitalize on our steals and blocks.

Any time we have at least two of our "Young 4" out there I feel like we can compete.
    agree but imo we still need size and length. Plus ofc 3pt shooting efficiency. The rest will come when they play more games together.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kings getting blown out. Every team has 2 more losses than us except for Memphis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs win 2 more games than Grizz and both teams stay ahead of the Rest

SPURS are 8th and THEY have to PLAY IN, win 2 in row against us????
    Spurs will actually need to win 3 more games than the Grizz to take the 8th spot. Standings will be based upon winning percentage since teams will have finished the season with a different number of games played.

If Memphis goes 2-4 in their remaining games, they would finish at .466 (out of 73 games played).

If San Antonio goes 4-2 in their remaining games, Spurs would finish at .465 (out of 71 games played) and still be a hair behind.

But to answer your question, yes...even in the unlikely event that the Spurs manage to leapfrog Memphis, they would still play the 9th seed for a play-in. The rules don't specify who plays, only that in the case of a 9th seed being within 4 games of the 8th seed, a double-elimination play off will be played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect a Becky-led “Nancy Kerrigan” job on Bryn in this bubble. And it worked! Go Spurs Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything is possible it seems. Its been a refreshing sight seeing the youth play so much and being successful!
    Last edited by SpurSpike; 08-03-2020 at 10:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, a Moses reference

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will actually need to win 3 more games than the Grizz to take the 8th spot. Standings will be based upon winning percentage since teams will have finished the season with a different number of games played.

If Memphis goes 2-4 in their remaining games, they would finish at .466 (out of 73 games played).

If San Antonio goes 4-2 in their remaining games, Spurs would finish at .465 (out of 71 games played) and still be a hair behind.

But to answer your question, yes...even in the unlikely event that the Spurs manage to leapfrog Memphis, they would still play the 9th seed for a play-in. The rules don't specify who plays, only that in the case of a 9th seed being within 4 games of the 8th seed, a double-elimination play off will be played.
    Good catch, that 0.466 vs 0.465 scenario shows that in terms of winning percentages, you want to have played more games if you're below 0.500 and less if you're above. Unequal games played almost never happens in the NBA though.

I'd still give the Spurs a 5-10% chance of making it to #8; 3 more wins than the Grizz over the next 6 is unlikely but not impossible.

I'll guess at a 30% chance or so of finishing #9, and a 0% chance of not making the play-in and also finishing #9; if the Spurs are more than 4 games behind Memphis they won't be in 9th place unless all of POR/SAC/NO really drop off.

Using a 50% chance of winning a single game against Memphis (#8 has a 75% chance of winning the play-in), and the midpoint of the 5-10% range above, gives a 13.125% chance of the Spurs making the bracket of 16: 0.075 * 0.75 + 0.3 * 0.25 = 0.13125.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good catch, that 0.466 vs 0.465 scenario shows that in terms of winning percentages, you want to have played more games if you're below 0.500 and less if you're above. Unequal games played almost never happens in the NBA though.

I'd still give the Spurs a 5-10% chance of making it to #8; 3 more wins than the Grizz over the next 6 is unlikely but not impossible.

I'll guess at a 30% chance or so of finishing #9, and a 0% chance of not making the play-in and also finishing #9; if the Spurs are more than 4 games behind Memphis they won't be in 9th place unless all of POR/SAC/NO really drop off.

Using a 50% chance of winning a single game against Memphis (#8 has a 75% chance of winning the play-in), and the midpoint of the 5-10% range above, gives a 13.125% chance of the Spurs making the bracket of 16: 0.075 * 0.75 + 0.3 * 0.25 = 0.13125.
    Forget stats mate, for that restart... They might be telling over 82 games but it's mainly about momentum at that point.

A team might be on a good roll and a 5 or 6 game wininning streak during those 8 games and inversely... That would balance itself over 82 games but a bad run in the bubble and you're done.

Thread Information